* [patch] cygwin-apps/run 1.0.3
@ 2013-12-01  2:52 Max Polk
From: Max Polk @ 2013-12-01  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin list

Follow-up to run 1.0.3 crashing and leaving run.exe.stackdump, first
reported at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00169.html

The list wouldn't let me send a patch because it had an email address in
the Changelog, so I had to put it here: http://pastebin.com/4SSPDGQh

The first fix is much like the above, but instead simply changes < to <=
to also copy the extra NULL terminator sentinel in the argv array, which
was needed to avoid deleting random memory.

The second fix adds quotes around parameters so spaces in the original
arguments don't get mistaken as separate arguments.  For example this
original test case:

     run bash --login -i -c "emacs FILENAME"

Get executed internally within run as this without quotes:

     bash --login -i -c emacs FILENAME

Without reinstating the quotes emacs runs with no arguments and FILENAME
is lost by bash.

Debug output (--run-debug=3) excerpt from two commands showing how
quotes are now added:

run DEBUG: C:\Apps\Cyg\bin\bash.exe --login -i -c emacs FILENAME

run DEBUG: C:\Apps\Cyg\bin\bash.exe "--login" "-i" "-c" "emacs FILENAME"

Side note: If you ask me why I'm running bash as a login shell to run
emacs-w32, it's to get all my .bash_profile settings when launched from
a Windows shortcut.  Paths and env vars and other things work better.
The side effect is that bash is a parent of emacs-w32 but that's okay
because there is no console window.

* Re: [patch] cygwin-apps/run 1.0.3
@ 2013-12-01  3:01 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-12-01  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 09:52:01PM -0500, Max Polk wrote:
>Follow-up to run 1.0.3 crashing and leaving run.exe.stackdump, first
>reported at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00169.html
>
>The list wouldn't let me send a patch because it had an email address in
>the Changelog, so I had to put it here: http://pastebin.com/4SSPDGQh

Actually the problem is that you shouldn't submit ChangeLog entries as
diffs since they often don't apply cleanly.  Just send the ChangeLog
entry.  Your email address wouldn't be blocked since it doesn't include
'cygwin'.

Thanks for the patch though.  I'm sure Chuck will be happy to consider
applying it.

cgf

* Moderated list?
@ 2013-12-01  3:36   ` Max Polk
From: Max Polk @ 2013-12-01  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is the cygwin mail list moderated?  I tried 4 times sending the same
thing after *initially* getting rejected for a policy violation then
trying to do the global allowed senders tip and other body content
changes and getting no responses nor anything showing up in the archive
web site.  Sorry if I just spammed the list with repeats.

* Re: Moderated list?
@ 2013-12-01  4:17     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-12-01  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 10:36:34PM -0500, Max Polk wrote:
>Is the cygwin mail list moderated?  I tried 4 times sending the same
>thing after *initially* getting rejected for a policy violation then
>trying to do the global allowed senders tip and other body content
>changes and getting no responses nor anything showing up in the archive
>web site.  Sorry if I just spammed the list with repeats.

You can avoid spamming by checking the archives:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/current/

to see if your message made it.

cgf

* Re: [patch] cygwin-apps/run 1.0.3
@ 2013-12-02 16:30   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-12-02 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 09:52:01PM -0500, Max Polk wrote:
>> Follow-up to run 1.0.3 crashing and leaving run.exe.stackdump, first
>> reported at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00169.html
>>
>> The list wouldn't let me send a patch because it had an email address in
>> the Changelog, so I had to put it here: http://pastebin.com/4SSPDGQh
>
> Actually the problem is that you shouldn't submit ChangeLog entries as
> diffs since they often don't apply cleanly.  Just send the ChangeLog
> entry.  Your email address wouldn't be blocked since it doesn't include
> 'cygwin'.
>
> Thanks for the patch though.  I'm sure Chuck will be happy to consider
> applying it.

Thanks for the patch.  I'm concerned that always quoting every argument
might hurt file globbing (e.g. when you pass foo.* as an argument).
Howevr, since what you have is clearly better than status quo, and fixes
an actual regression where older versions of run /used/ to handle this
situation fine...I'll roll a new update fairly soon.

--
Chuck