* Problem Compiling Source Code From Unix
       [not found] <1594208380.1685699.1505747601936.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-09-18 15:18 ` Graham Laight via cygwin
From: Graham Laight via cygwin @ 2017-09-18 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to compile some SAT solvers, which all come as Unix source-code bundles. I have installed Cygwin at c:\cygwin, and added c:\cygwin\bin to my Windows path.

Lingeling came with the following instructions:

configure && make

Once I realised this translates to...

sh configure.sh && make

...it was fine, and I am happily running Lingeling - which is a good SAT solver!

Unfortunately, many of the other SAT solvers are based on MiniSat - and these all have the same instructions, which I cannot follow:

export MROOT=<minisat-dir>  (or setenv in cshell)
cd { core | simp }
gmake rs

I don't know what export MROOT means (or setenv). Then I do cd core (to get to the C:\Temp\MapleCOMSPS\core folder), and issue

make rs

I receive the error:

Makefile:4: /mtl/template.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/mtl/template.mk'.  Stop.

It cannot find included files in C:\Temp\MapleCOMSPS\mtl . I have also tried adding C:\Temp\MapleCOMSPS\mtl to the Windows path - but this didn't change anything.

Apologies if this question has more to do with my lack of knowledge of compiling under Linux than it does with Cygwin - but it would mean a lot to me to be able to get the other SAT solvers working, so I would really appreciate guidance!

PS - further apologies if the list receives a duplicate of this message - but my Outlook mail is misbehaving.

* Re: Problem Compiling Source Code From Unix
@ 2017-09-18 15:56   ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2017-09-18 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 18.09.2017 um 17:13 schrieb Graham Laight via cygwin:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to compile some SAT solvers, which all come as Unix source-code bundles. I have installed Cygwin at c:\cygwin, and added c:\cygwin\bin to my Windows path.

Unforturnately, that's already the point at which you strayed from the
optimum path.  Cygwin provides, to the best of everyone's ability, an
entire Unix _environment_.  And that means you'll usually have to enter
that environment, not just pick things out of it from the outside.

In other words: no, the Cygwin bin directory should not usually be in
your Windows PATH.  It can be done that way with sufficient insight into
the consequences, but you should stay away from that can of worms for now.

> Lingeling came with the following instructions:
>
> configure && make
>
> Once I realised this translates to...
>
> sh configure.sh && make

Actually, no such translation would have been necessary.  The general
idea is that you would be doing this from inside the Cygwin console
environment (i.e. click on that icon the installer created), and then
such original Unix command lines will actually just work, without your
needing to translate anything.

* Re: Problem Compiling Source Code From Unix
@ 2017-09-18 17:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-09-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Laight, Graham Laight, cygwin

Greetings, Graham Laight!

> I am trying to compile some SAT solvers, which all come as Unix source-code
> bundles. I have installed Cygwin at c:\cygwin, and added c:\cygwin\bin to my
> Windows path.

That was a wrong move.
Unless you exactly know what you are doing, and ready for the consequences,
adding Cygwin bins to windows PATH is a recipe for disaster.

> Lingeling came with the following instructions:

> configure && make

> Once I realised this translates to...

> sh configure.sh && make

No, it is exactly ./configure && make, no translation.

> ...it was fine, and I am happily running Lingeling - which is a good SAT
> solver!

> Unfortunately, many of the other SAT solvers are based on MiniSat - and
> these all have the same instructions, which I cannot follow:

> export MROOT=<minisat-dir>  (or setenv in cshell)
> cd { core | simp }
> gmake rs

> I don't know what export MROOT means (or setenv).

It means you have to set the environment to a value. This is not Cygwin
specific.

> Then I do cd core (to get to the C:\Temp\MapleCOMSPS\core folder), and issue

> make rs

> I receive the error:

> Makefile:4: /mtl/template.mk: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target '/mtl/template.mk'.  Stop.

> It cannot find included files in C:\Temp\MapleCOMSPS\mtl . I have also
> tried adding C:\Temp\MapleCOMSPS\mtl to the Windows path - but this didn't
> change anything.

> Apologies if this question has more to do with my lack of knowledge of
> compiling under Linux than it does with Cygwin - but it would mean a lot to
> me to be able to get the other SAT solvers working, so I would really
> appreciate guidance!

This has nothing to do with compiling at all, just the general Linux usage.

Try

    cd simp
    MROOT="$(dirname "$(pwd)")" make rs

> PS - further apologies if the list receives a duplicate of this message -
> but my Outlook mail is misbehaving.

Try a normal mail client.

--
With best regards,