* CPU hogging by dysfunctional bash or zsh when started via mintty Cygwin terminal link
@ 2020-02-14  2:09 Jan-Marek Glogowski
From: Jan-Marek Glogowski @ 2020-02-14  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi *,

I've already been on IRC (jmux) and had a longer debug session, trying
various stuff suggested by MetaNova. This is a Cygwin64 install.

Quoting from IRC: "After a longer time (probably months), I tried to
open a cygwin terminal, which now fails. It results in an empty window
with a blinking cursor and a bash process with 100% CPU load. The box is
a Windows 10 VM and also runs an cygwin openssh server, which I normally
use for development. SSH still works fine. I also installed gdb and
tried to attach to the CPU hogging bash, but I never see a gdb prompt
just some gdb startup output."

The condensed version, of what I already did and didn't change the result:

* updated cygwin install
* gdb -p <bash hog pid> -> hangs
  - killing bash will "start" gdb with the message, that the process
already exited
* starting zsh via the mintty link results in zsh hogging the CPU.
* cygwin.bat works; same for starting bash.exe from cmd
* reinstall mintty incl. "rebase-trigger fullrebase" didn't help
* strace mintty from a cygwin.bat shell results in a SIGSEGV
  - log currently at http://paste.debian.net/1130528/
  - expires: 2020-02-17 01:57:45
* gdb mintty results in ~ the same result, then gdb -p
  - it creates some threads, a bash hog window is created with all the
other "helpers" and gdb returns with "[Inferior 1 (<pid I guess)>)
exited with normally]" to the gdb prompt
  - quitting gdb and returning to the bash prompt won't happen, until I
kill the bash window, so basically the same, then doing "gdb -p"

This all looks like a mintty problem.

What else can I do to debug / fix this problem?

Regards,

Jan-Marek

P.S. Windows installed some updates today, but since I don't know when I
opened a terminal the last time, I can't tell if that is related.

* Re: CPU hogging by dysfunctional bash or zsh when started via mintty Cygwin terminal link
@ 2020-02-14  2:40 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2020-02-14  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/13/2020 9:08 PM, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I've already been on IRC (jmux) and had a longer debug session, trying
> various stuff suggested by MetaNova. This is a Cygwin64 install.
>
> Quoting from IRC: "After a longer time (probably months), I tried to
> open a cygwin terminal, which now fails. It results in an empty window
> with a blinking cursor and a bash process with 100% CPU load. The box is
> a Windows 10 VM and also runs an cygwin openssh server, which I normally
> use for development. SSH still works fine. I also installed gdb and
> tried to attach to the CPU hogging bash, but I never see a gdb prompt
> just some gdb startup output."
>
> The condensed version, of what I already did and didn't change the result:
>
> * updated cygwin install
> * gdb -p <bash hog pid> -> hangs
>    - killing bash will "start" gdb with the message, that the process
> already exited
> * starting zsh via the mintty link results in zsh hogging the CPU.
> * cygwin.bat works; same for starting bash.exe from cmd
> * reinstall mintty incl. "rebase-trigger fullrebase" didn't help
> * strace mintty from a cygwin.bat shell results in a SIGSEGV
>    - log currently at http://paste.debian.net/1130528/
>    - expires: 2020-02-17 01:57:45
> * gdb mintty results in ~ the same result, then gdb -p
>    - it creates some threads, a bash hog window is created with all the
> other "helpers" and gdb returns with "[Inferior 1 (<pid I guess)>)
> exited with normally]" to the gdb prompt
>    - quitting gdb and returning to the bash prompt won't happen, until I
> kill the bash window, so basically the same, then doing "gdb -p"
>
> This all looks like a mintty problem.
>
> What else can I do to debug / fix this problem?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jan-Marek
>
> P.S. Windows installed some updates today, but since I don't know when I
> opened a terminal the last time, I can't tell if that is related.

Your strace output shows that sysfer.dll is loaded.  This is apparently a
component of Symantec Endpoint Protection.  Could the latter be interfering with
Cygwin?  See

   https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Ken

* Re: CPU hogging by dysfunctional bash or zsh when started via mintty Cygwin terminal link
@ 2020-02-14 11:47   ` Jan-Marek Glogowski
From: Jan-Marek Glogowski @ 2020-02-14 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 14.02.20 um 03:39 schrieb Ken Brown:

> Your strace output shows that sysfer.dll is loaded.  This is apparently
> a component of Symantec Endpoint Protection.  Could the latter be
> interfering with Cygwin?  See
>
>   https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Just booted the Windows VM to quick-check changing AV settings and the
problem is gone. Without any changes.

Jan-Marek

(who is now reminded of the old fix: "have you tried to turn it off and
on again"...)