* perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 19:36 Warren Young
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Young @ 2014-05-06 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

Many moons ago Cygwin "gcc" became GCC 4.  Later, Cygwin dropped the
"gcc-4" wrapper package.

Unfortunately, this means Perl modules that only come in native (XS)
form don't compile because perl -V:cc says "gcc-4".  I tried creating a
symlink from gcc-4 -> gcc in /bin, but it didn't help.

STC: cpanm Text::Xslate

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 20:45 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-05-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young writes:
> Many moons ago Cygwin "gcc" became GCC 4.  Later, Cygwin dropped the
> "gcc-4" wrapper package.
>
> Unfortunately, this means Perl modules that only come in native (XS)
> form don't compile because perl -V:cc says "gcc-4".  I tried creating
> a symlink from gcc-4 -> gcc in /bin, but it didn't help.

Yes, I've posted about this some time ago.  You absolutely need to name
the symlink "gcc-4.exe".  You could also patch out the EXEEXT appendage
that makes that particular check fail when it encounters a symlink of
just "gcc-4", but renaming the symlink is easier.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 20:54 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-05-06 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 5/6/2014 13:35, Warren Young wrote:

> Unfortunately, this means Perl modules that only come in native (XS)
> form don't compile because perl -V:cc says "gcc-4".  I tried creating a
> symlink from gcc-4 -> gcc in /bin, but it didn't help.

This only affects 32-bit Cygwin, by the way.  I tried the STC on 64-bit
Cygwin where perl -V:cc says "gcc", and it built and installed the
module, and the module works.

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 21:05 ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-05-06 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/05/2014 20:35, Warren Young wrote:
> Many moons ago Cygwin "gcc" became GCC 4.  Later, Cygwin dropped the
> "gcc-4" wrapper package.
>
> Unfortunately, this means Perl modules that only come in native (XS)
> form don't compile because perl -V:cc says "gcc-4".  I tried creating
> a symlink from gcc-4 -> gcc in /bin, but it didn't help.
>
> STC: cpanm Text::Xslate

This is how I build perl-Text-CSV_XS - I create a symbolic link as you
described. Using cygport I was able to produce a Xslate DLL, but I
couldn't run the test suite as I'm missing many dependencies.

Does the attached help?

Dave.

[-- Attachment #2: perl-Text-Xslate.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 262 bytes --]

CPAN_AUTHOR=GFUJI
inherit perl

NAME="perl-Text-Xslate"
VERSION=3.2.4
RELEASE=1
CATEGORY="Perl"
SUMMARY="Scalable template engine."
DESCRIPTION="Xslate is a template engine, tuned for persistent applications, safe as an HTML generator, and with rich features."

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 21:17   ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-05-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/05/14 21:45, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Warren Young writes:
>> Many moons ago Cygwin "gcc" became GCC 4.  Later, Cygwin dropped the
>> "gcc-4" wrapper package.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this means Perl modules that only come in native (XS)
>> form don't compile because perl -V:cc says "gcc-4".  I tried creating
>> a symlink from gcc-4 -> gcc in /bin, but it didn't help.
> Yes, I've posted about this some time ago.  You absolutely need to name
> the symlink "gcc-4.exe".

This is not my experience. My link is called 'gcc-4' pointing to 'gcc';
there is no '.exe' extension in either source or destination. This gets
XS modules compiling for me.

Dave.

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 21:33   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-05-06 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 5/6/2014 14:45, Achim Gratz wrote:

> You absolutely need to name
> the symlink "gcc-4.exe".

That may have done it.  I'd have to do some manual CPAN package
uninstalls and reinstalls, testing under various conditions to be sure,
and can't be bothered.

I can say that I *also* required a g++-4 -> g++ symlink.  I made it with
.exe, just to be safe.

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 22:03   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-05-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 5/6/2014 15:05, David Stacey wrote:

> Does the attached help?

Thank you, but I wasn't actually trying to make a Cygwin package.  I
just noticed this while composing my answer to Andrew DeFaria in his
mod_perl thread.  I tried to build Dancer::Template::Xslate (which
depends on Text::Xslate) and it failed, so I thought I'd report it,
hoping it would give the Perl maintainer incentive to update the package.

...which turns out to not be necessary, since Reini Urban's 5.18.2
32-bit test build doesn't say "gcc-4" any more.  Assuming no regression,
this will be fixed when Cygwin moves formally to Perl 5.18.

So never mind. :)

* Re: perl -V:cc still says "gcc-4"
@ 2014-05-06 22:18     ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-05-06 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/05/14 23:02, Warren Young wrote:
> Assuming no regression, this will be fixed when Cygwin moves formally
> to Perl 5.18.

Indeed - I have already built perl-Text-CSV_XS for perl-5.18.2, and no
'gcc-4' symlink was necessary.

Glad you managed to get Text::Xslate built in the end,

Dave.