* Emacs-w32... crashing problem
@ 2014-05-13 12:29 Zdzislaw Meglicki
From: Zdzislaw Meglicki @ 2014-05-13 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, the crashing problem in emacs-w32 is greatly improved,
yet, the program still crashed on me yesterday, after a good
few days of seamless performance. The emacs-version function
returns:

(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin)
 of 2014-05-03 on Fiona"

Other sys params:

Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
64-bit OS
Cygwin DLL version info:
DLL version: 1.7.29
DLL epoch: 19
DLL old termios: 5
DLL malloc env: 28
Cygwin conv: 181
API major: 0
API minor: 272
Shared data: 5
DLL identifier: cygwin1
Mount registry: 3
Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
Program options name: Program Options
Installations name: Installations
Cygdrive default prefix:
Build date:
Shared id: cygwin1S5

* Re: Emacs-w32... crashing problem
@ 2014-05-13 13:16 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-05-13 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/13/2014 8:16 AM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> Well, the crashing problem in emacs-w32 is greatly improved,
> yet, the program still crashed on me yesterday, after a good
> few days of seamless performance. The emacs-version function
> returns:
>
> (emacs-version)
> "GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin)
>   of 2014-05-03 on Fiona"

Please describe the crash in more detail.  What were you doing when it
happened?  Did the window just disappear, or did you get a dialogue box
asking if you want to attach a debugger?  Did you get any messages in
the terminal that emacs was started from?  Is there a stackdump file?

Can you still get a crash if you start emacs with the -Q option?  I
realize that it might take several days before you know the answer.

Can you run emacs under gdb and try to get a backtrace when it crashes?
  You'll have to install the emacs-debuginfo package.  And you may have
to experiment with breakpoints, but I would start by setting one at
emacs_abort.

Ken

* Re: Emacs-w32... crashing problem
@ 2014-05-14 14:15 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-05-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/13/2014 5:25 PM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> Ken Brown writeth:
>
>> Please describe the crash in more detail.
>> What were you doing when it happened?  Did
>> the window just disappear, or did you get
>> a dialogue box asking if you want to attach
>> a debugger?  Did you get any messages in the
>> terminal that emacs was started from?  Is
>> there a stackdump file?
>
> The window just disappeared. There was no dialogue
> box that would let me attach gdb to the process.
> I did not run it under "-Q" at the time, and I do
> not have a stackdump file (I deleted it).
>
> I will keep an eye on this and if it crashes
> again, hopefully letting me attach gdb, I'll
> post a backtrace and the stackdump file, if you'd
> like to have a look at it.

You don't have to wait for it to crash.  If you have an emacs running
right now, you can go ahead and attach gdb and then continue working in
emacs.  Or you can just start emacs under gdb to begin with.

One other thing you could try is to install a Cygwin snapshot
(http://cygwin.com/snapshots/).  There were some problems with exception
handling on 64-bit Cygwin.  Corinna fixed most of these for
cygwin-1.7.29, but I think there was one further fix after that.

Ken

* Re: Emacs-w32... crashing problem
@ 2014-05-13 21:49 Zdzislaw Meglicki
From: Zdzislaw Meglicki @ 2014-05-13 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writeth:

> Please describe the crash in more detail.
> What were you doing when it happened?  Did
> the window just disappear, or did you get
> a dialogue box asking if you want to attach
> a debugger?  Did you get any messages in the
> terminal that emacs was started from?  Is
> there a stackdump file?

The window just disappeared. There was no dialogue
box that would let me attach gdb to the process.
I did not run it under "-Q" at the time, and I do
not have a stackdump file (I deleted it).

I will keep an eye on this and if it crashes
again, hopefully letting me attach gdb, I'll
post a backtrace and the stackdump file, if you'd
like to have a look at it.

Since emacs-w32 is so much better now, it may very
well take days before the next such event!

(greetings to-all)

Gustav Meglicki,
Indiana University