* katomic and atomix will not run
@ 2020-04-17 21:16 Phoenix Soul
From: Phoenix Soul @ 2020-04-17 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I decided that I was going to get katomic and atomix for cygwin, and
selected the most recent version listed.
atomix refuses to run and says:
Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

(atomix:1495): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
katomic says:
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
'/tmp/runtime-warri_000'
qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
Could not connect to any X display.
I have already tried using source as well. I have already pinged 127.0.0.1
(localhost) to ensure that it does exist. What must be done to fix it.
Windows version is 8.1, and this is a no admin installation.

* Re: katomic and atomix will not run
@ 2020-04-17 22:23 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2020-04-17 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phoenix Soul, cygwin

On 4/17/2020 5:16 PM, Phoenix Soul via Cygwin wrote:
> I decided that I was going to get katomic and atomix for cygwin, and
> selected the most recent version listed.
> atomix refuses to run and says:
> Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
>
> (atomix:1495): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> katomic says:
> QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
> '/tmp/runtime-warri_000'
> qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
> Could not connect to any X display.
> I have already tried using source as well. I have already pinged 127.0.0.1
> (localhost) to ensure that it does exist. What must be done to fix it.
> Windows version is 8.1, and this is a no admin installation.

... and you have an X server already running?  Maybe some details
about that end of things will help folks help you ...

Eliot Moss

* Re: katomic and atomix will not run
@ 2020-04-18 15:40   ` Phoenix Soul
From: Phoenix Soul @ 2020-04-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss; +Cc: cygwin

No, I haven't. What is it and how do I run one?

--
From, Warrick

* Re: katomic and atomix will not run
@ 2020-04-18 16:20     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2020-04-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On 4/18/2020 11:40 AM, Phoenix Soul wrote:
> No, I haven't. What is it and how do I run one?
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 3:23 PM Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu <mailto:moss@cs.umass.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/17/2020 5:16 PM, Phoenix Soul via Cygwin wrote:
>      > I decided that I was going to get katomic and atomix for cygwin, and
>      > selected the most recent version listed.
>      > atomix refuses to run and says:
>      > Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>: Connection refused
>      >
>      > (atomix:1495): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>      > katomic says:
>      > QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
>      > '/tmp/runtime-warri_000'
>      > qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
>      > Could not connect to any X display.
>      > I have already tried using source as well. I have already pinged 127.0.0.1
>      > (localhost) to ensure that it does exist. What must be done to fix it.
>      > Windows version is 8.1, and this is a no admin installation.
>
>     ... and you have an X server already running?  Maybe some details
>     about that end of things will help folks help you ...

Well that explains your error messages :-) ...

An X server deals with the screen, and X windows applications, such as the
ones you're trying to run, connect to it to get their stuff displayed.

The guide to X on Cygwin may be found at https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/.
I also find the XLaunch program to be helpful.  Maybe someone else has a
short cookbook list of things to do or can direct you to particular
sections of the guide ...

Regards - EM

* Re: katomic and atomix will not run
@ 2020-04-18 17:15       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-04-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-04-18 10:20, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/18/2020 11:40 AM, Phoenix Soul wrote:
>> No, I haven't. What is it and how do I run one?
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 3:23 PM Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu
>> <mailto:moss@cs.umass.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 4/17/2020 5:16 PM, Phoenix Soul via Cygwin wrote:
>>      > I decided that I was going to get katomic and atomix for cygwin, and
>>      > selected the most recent version listed.
>>      > atomix refuses to run and says:
>>      > Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1
>> <http://127.0.0.1>: Connection refused
>>      >
>>      > (atomix:1495): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>>      > katomic says:
>>      > QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
>>      > '/tmp/runtime-warri_000'
>>      > qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
>>      > Could not connect to any X display.
>>      > I have already tried using source as well. I have already pinged 127.0.0.1
>>      > (localhost) to ensure that it does exist. What must be done to fix it.
>>      > Windows version is 8.1, and this is a no admin installation.
>>
>>     ... and you have an X server already running?  Maybe some details
>>     about that end of things will help folks help you ...

Shouldn't those apps also be in X11 categories to be clear?

> Well that explains your error messages :-) ...
>
> An X server deals with the screen, and X windows applications, such as the
> ones you're trying to run, connect to it to get their stuff displayed.
>
> The guide to X on Cygwin may be found at https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/.
> I also find the XLaunch program to be helpful.  Maybe someone else has a
> short cookbook list of things to do or can direct you to particular
> sections of the guide ...

They could be run against a non-Cygwin Xserver anywhere.
I think the Cygwin minimal package list for X is to install package xinit to
pull in everything else needed for a local multi-window X server.