* Emacs and last libpng release
@ 2015-02-10 15:13 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2015-02-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After this update: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-02/msg00126.html,
building Emacs (from master) fails because 'ld' does not find '-lpng15'...

Installing libpng15-devel fixes the build but I wonder if there is a
better way to do this..

TIA,
  Angelo.

* Re: Emacs and last libpng release
@ 2015-02-10 15:52 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-02-10 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2015 10:12 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> After this update: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-02/msg00126.html, building
> Emacs (from master) fails because 'ld' does not find '-lpng15'...
>
> Installing libpng15-devel fixes the build but I wonder if there is a better way
> to do this..

I think the better way is for all libraries that rely on libpng15 to rebuild for
libpng16.  Yaakov already did this for his packages.

Ken

* Re: Emacs and last libpng release
@ 2015-02-11 19:22       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-02-11 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2015 4:23 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 2/10/2015 1:13 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 12:44 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> $ pkg-config --libs fontconfig
>>> -lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -lbz2 -lz -lpng15 -lm -lz -lexpat
>>> -lfreetype
>>> -lbz2 -lz -lpng16 -lm -lz
>>>
>>> Yaakov, can you explain this?
>>
>> cygcheck -c libfontconfig-devel libfreetype-devel ?

I found the problem.  I was using a self-built fontconfig, which didn't
get replaced by your update.  Sorry for the noise.

Ken

* Re: Emacs and last libpng release
@ 2015-02-10 21:23     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-02-10 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2015 1:13 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 12:44 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this mean that there is some library which, after being rebuilt, will allow
>>> Emacs to be build OB, linking to libpng16, without the need to install libpng15?
>>
>> I think that's right.  It looks to me like ImageMagick and fontconfig are both
>> adding -lpng15 to the link command line.  I'm puzzled about fontconfig because
>> it was just rebuilt.
>>
>> $ pkg-config --libs fontconfig
>> -lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -lbz2 -lz -lpng15 -lm -lz -lexpat -lfreetype
>> -lbz2 -lz -lpng16 -lm -lz
>>
>> Yaakov, can you explain this?
>
> cygcheck -c libfontconfig-devel libfreetype-devel ?

Sorry, you lost me.  I don't see anything in libfreetype-devel that
explains why the output of 'pkg-config --libs fontconfig' should contain
'-lpng15'.  freetype2 itself doesn't have this problem:

$ pkg-config --libs freetype2

@ 2015-02-10 18:13   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-02-10 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
Yaakov

* Re: Emacs and last libpng release
@ 2015-02-10 17:44 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-02-10 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2015-02-10 17:36 ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2015-02-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 10/02/2015 17:55, Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
> Ken Brown wrote:
>> I think the better way is for all libraries that rely on libpng15 to
>> rebuild for libpng16.
>
> Does this mean that there is some library which, after being rebuilt,
> will allow Emacs to be build OB, linking to libpng16, without the need
> to install libpng15?

Maybe I have understood.. it seems an issue similar to that I flagged
here: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-12/msg00390.html

The build log shows:

   Does Emacs use a png library?                           yes -lpng16

and ldd :

$ ldd /usr/local/emacs/bin/emacs.exe | grep png
         cygpng16-16.dll => /usr/bin/cygpng16-16.dll (0x3f6700000)
         cygpng15-15.dll => /usr/bin/cygpng15-15.dll (0x3f6740000)

So, the "spurious" dependency could came from ImageMagick which still
depend on libpng15.

@ 2015-02-10 17:34 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-02-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 17:55 +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:
> > I think the better way is for all libraries that rely on libpng15 to rebuild for libpng16.
>
> Does this mean that there is some library which, after being rebuilt,
> will allow Emacs to be build OB, linking to libpng16, without the need
> to install libpng15?

The problem isn't emacs, it is that ImageMagick's .pc files mention
-lpng15 instead of -lpng.  I changed the libMagick-devel deps from
libpng-devel to libpng15-devel on sourceware until it can be rebuilt.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Emacs and last libpng release
@ 2015-02-10 16:55 Angelo Graziosi