* directories needed to make Cygwin portable
@ 2015-02-12  7:09 Garegin Asatryan
From: Garegin Asatryan @ 2015-02-12  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I want to run Cygwin (to run ddrescue, among other things) on WinPE.
Which folders do I need from the Cygwin installation copied over.
Someone mentioned just the cygwin1.dll, but apparently that's not
enough. I tried the bin folder and ddrescue didn't throw any errors,
off the bat. What about the dev, etc, home, and lib folders. Do I need
them too?

* Re: directories needed to make Cygwin portable
@ 2015-02-12  7:30 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2015-02-12  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Garegin Asatryan wrote:
> I want to run Cygwin (to run ddrescue, among other things) on WinPE.
> Which folders do I need from the Cygwin installation copied over.
> Someone mentioned just the cygwin1.dll, but apparently that's not
> enough. I tried the bin folder and ddrescue didn't throw any errors,
> off the bat. What about the dev, etc, home, and lib folders. Do I need
> them too?

For tools like ddrescue, which do not require external support files in
/etc, /usr or /var, simply put the executable and the required Cygwin
DDLs in the same directory. Use cygcheck to get a list of these DDLs.

ddrescue and smartctl: cyggcc_s-1.dll cygstdc++-6.dll cygwin1.dll
coreutils tools like dd, ls: cyggcc_s-1.dll cygiconv-2.dll cygintl-8.dll
cygwin1.dll

I successfully tested Cygwin ddrescue in the Windows console of a Win7
Recovery CD.

Christian

* Re: directories needed to make Cygwin portable
@ 2015-02-12 20:07 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-02-12 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garegin Asatryan, cygwin

Greetings, Garegin Asatryan!

> I want to run Cygwin (to run ddrescue, among other things) on WinPE.
> Which folders do I need from the Cygwin installation copied over.
> Someone mentioned just the cygwin1.dll, but apparently that's not
> enough. I tried the bin folder and ddrescue didn't throw any errors,
> off the bat. What about the dev, etc, home, and lib folders. Do I need
> them too?

Why not use Linux LiveCD?

--
WBR,