* Fwd: Compatibility of binaries built with one version of cygwin with other versions of cygwin
       [not found] <CAAEKttyS4UaLyvMRucn==kBGZCfZJVw_r_hxP1i+HXmSZFgDvQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-03-27 13:12 ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-03-27 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Question:  if I build an executable/shared library on one version of
cygwin, is it guaranteed to work on later versions of cygwin, or is
that not recommended?

I learned the difficult way that building on one version and running
on an earlier version doesn't work.  My binaries are based on C++
code, so there is a dependency on libstd++ and libgcc_s (using the
Linux names for these libraries) and that is where I think I was
getting burned.  I don't think it is a problem with cygwin1.dll

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: Compatibility of binaries built with one version of cygwin with other versions of cygwin
@ 2015-03-27 13:23   ` Bryan Berns
From: Bryan Berns @ 2015-03-27 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Guaranteed" might be a strong word - especially given the lack of a
guarantor; probably depends on whether the programmer has had to
workaround any nuances in the Cygwin library that may have changed in
later versions.  I think the library function exports have been the
same for awhile and I've personally had pretty good lucking simply
dropping in a new DLL file without issues.

* Re: Fwd: Compatibility of binaries built with one version of cygwin with other versions of cygwin
@ 2015-03-27 14:29   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-03-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/27/2015 2:01 PM, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
> Question:  if I build an executable/shared library on one version of
> cygwin, is it guaranteed to work on later versions of cygwin, or is
> that not recommended?
>
> I learned the difficult way that building on one version and running
> on an earlier version doesn't work.  My binaries are based on C++
> code, so there is a dependency on libstd++ and libgcc_s (using the
> Linux names for these libraries) and that is where I think I was
> getting burned.  I don't think it is a problem with cygwin1.dll
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

compatibility is expected forward not backward.
New versions may have additional features that of course are not
available backward.

Regards
Marco