* Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11, but fails to declare this
@ 2015-08-04 14:29 Rainer Blome
From: Rainer Blome @ 2015-08-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11 and should declare this,
but apparently does not.

Please change package emacs-x11 so that it declares its dependency on
paackage dbus-x11.

Details:
When doing a fresh install of Cygwin 64bit, I selected xlaunch,
"emacs-x11" and a few other packages and let the dependency
satisfaction mechanism do its thing.
This resulted in a working X Server and XTerm, and
I could start emacs without X (option -nw).
However, trying to start Emacs for an Xterm without -nw
yields this output (and no Emacs window):

 emacs
 process 7588: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid:\
  Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or  directory
 See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
   D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a backtrace
 Fatal error 6: AbortedAborted (core dumped)

Trying this did not work because the program was missing:

 dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id
 -bash: dbus-uuidgen: command not found

Installing package dbus-x11 helped, Emacs starts now. (Yay! :-)

Best Regards, Rainer

* Re: Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11, but fails to declare this
@ 2015-08-04 16:29 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-08-04 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/4/2015 10:29 AM, Rainer Blome wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11 and should declare this,
> but apparently does not.
>
> Please change package emacs-x11 so that it declares its dependency on
> paackage dbus-x11.
>
> Details:
> When doing a fresh install of Cygwin 64bit, I selected xlaunch,
> "emacs-x11" and a few other packages and let the dependency
> satisfaction mechanism do its thing.
> This resulted in a working X Server

I would say that it didn't result in a working X server in view of the error
message, "D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up".

The documentation on the Cygwin/X home page (http://x.cygwin.com/) says that you
should install the xinit package in order to use the Cygwin X server.  And xinit
depends on dbus-x11.  But not everyone reads the documentation before
installing, so maybe xlaunch should require xinit.

Jon?  Yaakov?

Ken

* Re: Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11, but fails to declare this
@ 2015-08-07 14:35   ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-08-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/08/2015 17:29, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/4/2015 10:29 AM, Rainer Blome wrote:
>> Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11 and should declare this,
>> but apparently does not.
>>
>> Please change package emacs-x11 so that it declares its dependency on
>> package dbus-x11.
>>
>> Details:
>> When doing a fresh install of Cygwin 64bit, I selected xlaunch,
>> "emacs-x11" and a few other packages and let the dependency
>> satisfaction mechanism do its thing.
>> This resulted in a working X Server
>
> I would say that it didn't result in a working X server in view of the
> error message, "D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up".
>
> The documentation on the Cygwin/X home page (http://x.cygwin.com/) says
> that you should install the xinit package in order to use the Cygwin X
> server.  And xinit depends on dbus-x11.  But not everyone reads the
> documentation before installing, so maybe xlaunch should require xinit.
>
> Jon?  Yaakov?

Hmm... not sure about this.

On the one hand, this is really a defect with xlaunch, which doesn't
know enough to do all the things which xinit does (like starting a dbus
session bus instance)

On the other hand, just making xlaunch depend on dbus-x11 would solve
this problem.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11, but fails to declare this
@ 2015-08-07 18:12     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-08-07 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/7/2015 10:35 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 04/08/2015 17:29, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 8/4/2015 10:29 AM, Rainer Blome wrote:
>>> Package emacs-x11 depends on package dbus-x11 and should declare this,
>>> but apparently does not.
>>>
>>> Please change package emacs-x11 so that it declares its dependency on
>>> package dbus-x11.
>>>
>>> Details:
>>> When doing a fresh install of Cygwin 64bit, I selected xlaunch,
>>> "emacs-x11" and a few other packages and let the dependency
>>> satisfaction mechanism do its thing.
>>> This resulted in a working X Server
>>
>> I would say that it didn't result in a working X server in view of the
>> error message, "D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up".
>>
>> The documentation on the Cygwin/X home page (http://x.cygwin.com/) says
>> that you should install the xinit package in order to use the Cygwin X
>> server.  And xinit depends on dbus-x11.  But not everyone reads the
>> documentation before installing, so maybe xlaunch should require xinit.
>>
>> Jon?  Yaakov?
>
> Hmm... not sure about this.
>
> On the one hand, this is really a defect with xlaunch, which doesn't know enough
> to do all the things which xinit does (like starting a dbus session bus instance)
>
> On the other hand, just making xlaunch depend on dbus-x11 would solve this problem.

Yes, that would suffice for this particular problem.  I was just thinking that
someone who installs xlaunch probably assumes that they'll get whatever they
need for using Cygwin/X.  Since the user's guide
(http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html#setup-cygwin-x-installing) describes
xinit as required and xlaunch as optional, having xlaunch require xinit seems
reasonable to me.

Ken