* Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-13 15:48 AC
From: AC @ 2015-08-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just updated my cygwin install with X at 1.17.2-2 and now the small
panel icon shows up in the upper left of my screen with no task bar icon
and now way to remove it.  Prior to the upgrade I was able to close that
button (by right clicking the "panel" entry in the Windows task bar
which left the x server running.

Is there a way to get rid of that icon?  I only ever use the system tray
icon and the fbpanel icon is always in the way of desktop icons.  I
can't seem to move it anywhere either.

If I comment out fbpanel in startxwinrc then nothing loads (I don't
normally have an xterm come up, I just want the server running and waiting).

* Re: Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-13 17:06 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-08-13 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: AC

On 13/08/2015 16:48, AC wrote:
> I just updated my cygwin install with X at 1.17.2-2 and now the small
> panel icon shows up in the upper left of my screen with no task bar icon
> and now way to remove it.  Prior to the upgrade I was able to close that
> button (by right clicking the "panel" entry in the Windows task bar
> which left the x server running.
>
> Is there a way to get rid of that icon?  I only ever use the system tray
> icon and the fbpanel icon is always in the way of desktop icons.  I
> can't seem to move it anywhere either.
>
> If I comment out fbpanel in startxwinrc then nothing loads (I don't
> normally have an xterm come up, I just want the server running and waiting).

If your /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc mentions fbpanel, you don't have the
latest version (see [1]), so maybe try updating or reinstalling the
xinit package?

If you have a custom ~/.startxwinrc, then base it on the current
/etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc and end it with 'exec
/usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu', or even 'exec sleep infinity' if you don't like
that.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-13 17:46   ` AC
From: AC @ 2015-08-13 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2015-08-13 10:06, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 13/08/2015 16:48, AC wrote:
>> I just updated my cygwin install with X at 1.17.2-2 and now the small
>> panel icon shows up in the upper left of my screen with no task bar icon
>> and now way to remove it.  Prior to the upgrade I was able to close that
>> button (by right clicking the "panel" entry in the Windows task bar
>> which left the x server running.
>>
>> Is there a way to get rid of that icon?  I only ever use the system tray
>> icon and the fbpanel icon is always in the way of desktop icons.  I
>> can't seem to move it anywhere either.
>>
>> If I comment out fbpanel in startxwinrc then nothing loads (I don't
>> normally have an xterm come up, I just want the server running and
>> waiting).
>
> If your /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc mentions fbpanel, you don't have the
> latest version (see [1]), so maybe try updating or reinstalling the
> xinit package?
>
> If you have a custom ~/.startxwinrc, then base it on the current
> /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc and end it with 'exec
> /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu', or even 'exec sleep infinity' if you don't like
> that.
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

Interesting, I'm using the global startxwinrc and my xinit package is
already 1.3.4-9 yet fbpanel is still in there and there's no mention of
xwin-xdg-menu in it yet I do have xwin-xdg-menu installed (20150708-1).
 I do not have a custom startxwinrc in my home directory.

* Re: Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-13 18:33     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-08-13 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 10:46 -0700, AC wrote:
> On 2015-08-13 10:06, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> > If your /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc mentions fbpanel, you don't have
> > the latest version (see [1]), so maybe try updating or reinstalling
> > the xinit package?
> >
> > If you have a custom ~/.startxwinrc, then base it on the current
> > /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc and end it with 'exec
> > /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu', or even 'exec sleep infinity' if you don't
> > like that.
> >
> > [1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html
>
> Interesting, I'm using the global startxwinrc and my xinit package is
> already 1.3.4-9 yet fbpanel is still in there and there's no mention
> of xwin-xdg-menu in it yet I do have xwin-xdg-menu installed
> (20150708-1).
>  I do not have a custom startxwinrc in my home directory.

Then you must have customized your global startxwinrc, in which case it
would not have been replaced when upgrading to 1.3.4-9.  Replacing it
with the copy under /etc/defaults should fix this.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Re: Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-14 15:52       ` AC
From: AC @ 2015-08-14 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaakov Selkowitz, cygwin

On 2015-08-13 11:33, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 10:46 -0700, AC wrote:
>> On 2015-08-13 10:06, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>> If your /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc mentions fbpanel, you don't have
>>> the latest version (see [1]), so maybe try updating or reinstalling
>>> the xinit package?
>>>
>>> If you have a custom ~/.startxwinrc, then base it on the current
>>> /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc and end it with 'exec
>>> /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu', or even 'exec sleep infinity' if you don't
>>> like that.
>>>
>>> [1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html
>>
>> Interesting, I'm using the global startxwinrc and my xinit package is
>> already 1.3.4-9 yet fbpanel is still in there and there's no mention
>> of xwin-xdg-menu in it yet I do have xwin-xdg-menu installed
>> (20150708-1).
>>  I do not have a custom startxwinrc in my home directory.
>
> Then you must have customized your global startxwinrc, in which case it
> would not have been replaced when upgrading to 1.3.4-9.  Replacing it
> with the copy under /etc/defaults should fix this.

Yes, it is fixed.  It had been quite some time since I edited the file.
 I'm more accustomed to package managers warning me about customized
files when they detect them.

* Re: Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-15  0:50         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-08-15  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AC, cygwin

Greetings, AC!

>>> Interesting, I'm using the global startxwinrc and my xinit package is
>>> already 1.3.4-9 yet fbpanel is still in there and there's no mention
>>> of xwin-xdg-menu in it yet I do have xwin-xdg-menu installed
>>> (20150708-1).
>>>  I do not have a custom startxwinrc in my home directory.
>>
>> Then you must have customized your global startxwinrc, in which case it
>> would not have been replaced when upgrading to 1.3.4-9.  Replacing it
>> with the copy under /etc/defaults should fix this.
>>

> Yes, it is fixed.  It had been quite some time since I edited the file.
>  I'm more accustomed to package managers warning me about customized
> files when they detect them.

Cygwin's setup routine could use some love, there's no denying of that.
However, Someone Has To Do It. http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Hide fbpanel icon
@ 2015-08-15  6:45           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin writes:
>> Yes, it is fixed.  It had been quite some time since I edited the file.
>>  I'm more accustomed to package managers warning me about customized
>> files when they detect them.
>
> Cygwin's setup routine could use some love, there's no denying of that.
> However, Someone Has To Do It. http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI

In that case, though, it's not setup.  The check of whether the defaults
can be replaced because the files have not been edited is in the
preremove scripts.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff: