* cp -rup fails if a file/directory exists
@ 2015-09-06 21:16 Arthur Schwarz
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2015-09-06 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cp -rup dir /h/ works for version 8.23-4 but for version 8.24-1 it produces
an error " cannot create directory '/h/dir': File exists", where 'dir' is a
directory and '/h/' is a flash drive.

Is there something I can do to force a save? I do not want to delete then
save, I'd rather update a file/dir that exists or create a file/dir that
doesn't.

I've unsuccessfully looked for the cp update notice.

art

* Re: cp -rup fails if a file/directory exists
@ 2015-09-07  0:35 ` Cliff Hones
From: Cliff Hones @ 2015-09-07  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/09/2015 22:16, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
> cp -rup dir /h/ works for version 8.23-4 but for version 8.24-1 it produces
> an error " cannot create directory '/h/dir': File exists", where 'dir' is a
> directory and '/h/' is a flash drive.
>
> Is there something I can do to force a save? I do not want to delete then
> save, I'd rather update a file/dir that exists or create a file/dir that
> doesn't.
>
> I've unsuccessfully looked for the cp update notice.

I think these are what you were looking for:

coreutils version 8.24-3 probably fixes your problem.

-- Cliff