* Does gam_server have to run?
@ 2015-09-15 15:49 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2015-09-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

All,

On my last cygwin update I noticed that I have /usr/libexec/gam_server.exe running.
I learned this because the install script could not kill it (and neither could I!).
It was using about 1 sec/sec of CPU.

With a little investigation I learned that
it's part of GNOME's "file alternation monitoring".
I'm willing to believe that I've installed /something/ of GNOME or that uses GNOME,
but I do /not/ want the GNOME ecosystem creeping into my world.

Can anyone help me understand how to stop it from running?

Alternatively, can someone help me understand how to find dependencies within CYGWIN?

Thanks.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

I once worked in a can recycling facility. It was soda pressing.

* Re: Does gam_server have to run?
@ 2015-09-15 16:25 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-09-15 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/15/2015 11:48 AM, Doug Lewan wrote:
> All,
>
> On my last cygwin update I noticed that I have /usr/libexec/gam_server.exe running.
> I learned this because the install script could not kill it (and neither could I!).
> It was using about 1 sec/sec of CPU.
>
> With a little investigation I learned that
> it's part of GNOME's "file alternation monitoring".
> I'm willing to believe that I've installed /something/ of GNOME or that uses GNOME,
> but I do /not/ want the GNOME ecosystem creeping into my world.
>
> Can anyone help me understand how to stop it from running?
>
> Alternatively, can someone help me understand how to find dependencies within CYGWIN?

'cygcheck -f /usr/libexec/gam_server.exe' will tell you that the program is
provided by the gamin package.  The /usr/bin/cygcheck-dep (from the cygcheck-dep
package) can tell you what installed packages require gamin.

Ken