* Mounting a network share
@ 2015-11-01 21:02 Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2015-11-01 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mail list

I'm remotely loggin in to my P box and would lke to mount one of the NAS
Samba shares.  M$ likes to unmount the share after a period of time,
but because it was mounted, the pasword is needed (I hope).

When I try the following:

    mount \\192.168.1.40\Public /cygdrive/p

I get an invalid option.

Can I do this and if so, what do I need to change to get it to work.

Thanks.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com | vidiot@vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
        6082066843@email.uscc.net (140 char limit)       \ / Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Mounting a network share
@ 2015-11-02  1:50 ` Andrey Repin
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-11-02  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Brown, cygwin

Greetings, Mike Brown!

> I'm remotely loggin in to my P box and would lke to mount one of the NAS
> Samba shares.  M$ likes to unmount the share after a period of time,
> but because it was mounted, the pasword is needed (I hope).

> When I try the following:

>     mount \\192.168.1.40\Public /cygdrive/p

> I get an invalid option.

> Can I do this and if so, what do I need to change to get it to work.

net use //host/resource[/path] P: * /PERSISTENT /SAVECRED

P.S.
This is not a Cygwin question.
If you want to do it from Cygwin side, use fstab and don't use /cygdrive
prefix. It is for automatic mounts ONLY.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Mounting a network share
@ 2015-11-02  5:35   ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2015-11-02  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:40:33AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> net use //host/resource[/path] P: * /PERSISTENT /SAVECRED

I got the following to be accepted:

net use \\192.168.1.40\Public password /user:brown /persistant:yes

The syntax doesn't have a place to where it should be mounted.

But, if it mounted, I have no idea where. A "df -k" only shows the local drives.

> This is not a Cygwin question.
> If you want to do it from Cygwin side, use fstab and don't use /cygdrive
> prefix. It is for automatic mounts ONLY.

I can't find a fstab.

MB
--

@ 2015-11-02 11:16     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-02 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov  1 23:35, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:40:33AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > net use //host/resource[/path] P: * /PERSISTENT /SAVECRED
>
> I got the following to be accepted:
>
> net use \\192.168.1.40\Public password /user:brown /persistant:yes
>
> The syntax doesn't have a place to where it should be mounted.
>
> But, if it mounted, I have no idea where. A "df -k" only shows the local drives.
>
> > This is not a Cygwin question.
> > If you want to do it from Cygwin side, use fstab and don't use /cygdrive
> > prefix. It is for automatic mounts ONLY.
>
> I can't find a fstab.

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Mounting a network share
@ 2015-11-02 16:03   ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2015-11-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:40:33AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> If you want to do it from Cygwin side, use fstab and don't use /cygdrive
> prefix. It is for automatic mounts ONLY.

I went and found the Cygwin web page that describes fstab.  What it doesn't
say is how to use it.  I have the following entry:

192.168.1.40:/Public /Public nfs noacl 0 0

But, when I enter "mount /Public" mount complains about not enough options and
shows me the help for command line usage.  It doesn't appear to look in the
fstab file for the entry.

I did create /Public, so that path is there.

I tried it via the command line and it bitched about /Public.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

MB
--

@ 2015-11-02 16:18     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-02 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov  1 23:35, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:40:33AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > net use //host/resource[/path] P: * /PERSISTENT /SAVECRED
>
> I got the following to be accepted:
>
> net use \\192.168.1.40\Public password /user:brown /persistant:yes
>
> The syntax doesn't have a place to where it should be mounted.

I missed that in my reply.  It has:

  net use X: \\server\share

when using this command in a Cygwin shell, keep in mind that backslashes
need to be escaped in Unix shells:

  net use X: \\\\server\\share

@ 2015-11-02 16:26     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It does: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

> I have the following entry:
>
> 192.168.1.40:/Public /Public nfs noacl 0 0
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This syntax isn't known in Windows.  Use the same syntax as with SMB
shares, just use forward slashes:

  //192.168.1.40/Public /Public foo binary 0 0

"noacl" has no meaning on NFS shares, btw.

@ 2015-11-02 16:31       ` Roger Wells
From: Roger Wells @ 2015-11-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Nov  1 23:35, Mike Brown wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:40:33AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> net use //host/resource[/path] P: * /PERSISTENT /SAVECRED
>>
>> I got the following to be accepted:
>>
>> net use \\192.168.1.40\Public password /user:brown /persistant:yes
>>
>> The syntax doesn't have a place to where it should be mounted.
>
> I missed that in my reply.  It has:
>
>   net use X: \\server\share
>
> when using this command in a Cygwin shell, keep in mind that backslashes
> need to be escaped in Unix shells:
>
>   net use X: \\\\server\\share

or this works:
	net use x: '\\server\share'
(single quotes)

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos

* Re: Mounting a network share
@ 2015-11-02 18:06       ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2015-11-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 05:26:51PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  2 10:03, Mike Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:40:33AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > > If you want to do it from Cygwin side, use fstab and don't use /cygdrive
> > > prefix. It is for automatic mounts ONLY.
> >
> > I went and found the Cygwin web page that describes fstab.  What it doesn't
> > say is how to use it.
>
> It does: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

What I mean is that I was able to create an entry, but I have no idea how to
get the mount program to read the contents.

> > I have the following entry:
> >
> > 192.168.1.40:/Public /Public nfs noacl 0 0
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This syntax isn't known in Windows.  Use the same syntax as with SMB
> shares, just use forward slashes:
>
>   //192.168.1.40/Public /Public foo binary 0 0
>
> "noacl" has no meaning on NFS shares, btw.

No there no explantion on how to enter a user and password.  I tried the nfs
syntax because it doesn't require a password.

MB
--

@ 2015-11-02 19:50         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-11-02 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Brown, cygwin

Greetings, Mike Brown!

>> > I went and found the Cygwin web page that describes fstab.  What it doesn't
>> > say is how to use it.
>>
>> It does: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

> What I mean is that I was able to create an entry, but I have no idea how to
> get the mount program to read the contents.

Cygwin's fstab only accepts 'bind mounts' (in *NIX terms). The article Corinna
mentioned clearly explains that.
Another difference from *NIX is that it is read and interpreted by Cygwin core
(cygwin1.dll) when a new process tree starts.

>> > I have the following entry:
>> >
>> > 192.168.1.40:/Public /Public nfs noacl 0 0
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> This syntax isn't known in Windows.  Use the same syntax as with SMB
>> shares, just use forward slashes:
>>
>>   //192.168.1.40/Public /Public foo binary 0 0
>>
>> "noacl" has no meaning on NFS shares, btw.

> No there no explantion on how to enter a user and password.

Because there's no such place. The resource must be available to the user.

Before we continue this discussion, I suggest to re-read the two paragraphs on
the cygwin.com main page. What Cygwin is and it is not.

You expect kernel OS functionality from a userland application. That's not how
Cygwin works. Cygwin leverages the operating system functionality to create a
level field for porting applications to Windows.

And to your 'net use' issues, 'net help use' should have been your first stop.
Yes, you can just call 'net use <resource>' without specifying the name to
simply authenticate yourself with the resource.
Mind you, specifying a password in command line is always a bad idea. You
never know, where that password would be stored or displayed in between
terminal and the called application.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-11-02 23:37   ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2015-11-02 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Mike Brown!
>
>> I'm remotely loggin in to my P box and would lke to mount one of the NAS
>> Samba shares.  M$ likes to unmount the share after a period of time,
>> but because it was mounted, the pasword is needed (I hope).
>
>> When I try the following:
>
>>     mount \\192.168.1.40\Public /cygdrive/p
---
	Got to watch out for the those backslashes:

This seems to work:

> mount //ishtar/tmp /tmp/tmnt
mount: defaulting to 'notexec' mount option for speed since native path
       references a remote share.  Use '-f' option to override.
/tmp> df /tmp/tmnt
Filesystem          Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
//ishtar/tmp   12G  8.4G  3.7G  70% /tmp/tmnt

Though I'd likely use 'net use' as others mentioned.

* Re: Mounting a network share
@ 2015-11-03 13:11         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-03 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin