* Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning
@ 2015-11-11  3:49 Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2015-11-11  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I recently updated to the latest set of cygwin packages, and something
has broken the terminal icon when pinned to the start menu.  When
starting from the Start menu "Cygwin Terminal" icon, mintty comes up
normally, loads my user profile, and the cwd is set to ~.

However, if I right-click the icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to
taskbar", close the existing terminal, then open by clicking on the
pinned taskbar icon, the terminal starts but it does not load the
profile, the cwd is /usr/bin, and no commands can be found (e.g. ls:
command not found).  I have tracked this down to the pinned icon
missing the arguments "-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -".

I'm sure this worked prior to the update, so something seems to have
changed.  I update fairly often, so this is something recent within
the past month or so.  I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 using Cygwin 32bit.

* Re: Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning
@ 2015-11-11  4:05 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-11-11  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Mathis, cygwin

Greetings, Brian Mathis!

> I recently updated to the latest set of cygwin packages, and something
> has broken the terminal icon when pinned to the start menu.  When
> starting from the Start menu "Cygwin Terminal" icon, mintty comes up
> normally, loads my user profile, and the cwd is set to ~.

> However, if I right-click the icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to
> taskbar", close the existing terminal, then open by clicking on the
> pinned taskbar icon, the terminal starts but it does not load the
> profile, the cwd is /usr/bin, and no commands can be found (e.g. ls:
> command not found).  I have tracked this down to the pinned icon
> missing the arguments "-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -".

> I'm sure this worked prior to the update, so something seems to have
> changed.  I update fairly often, so this is something recent within
> the past month or so.  I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 using Cygwin 32bit.

I've experienced this same issue across a wide range of applications,
including AD management tools.

I have a feeling this is unrelated to Cygwin.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning
@ 2015-11-11  8:53   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-11  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 11 06:53, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Brian Mathis!
>
> > I recently updated to the latest set of cygwin packages, and something
> > has broken the terminal icon when pinned to the start menu.  When
> > starting from the Start menu "Cygwin Terminal" icon, mintty comes up
> > normally, loads my user profile, and the cwd is set to ~.
>
> > However, if I right-click the icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to
> > taskbar", close the existing terminal, then open by clicking on the
> > pinned taskbar icon, the terminal starts but it does not load the
> > profile, the cwd is /usr/bin, and no commands can be found (e.g. ls:
> > command not found).  I have tracked this down to the pinned icon
> > missing the arguments "-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -".
>
> > I'm sure this worked prior to the update, so something seems to have
> > changed.  I update fairly often, so this is something recent within
> > the past month or so.  I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 using Cygwin 32bit.
>
> I've experienced this same issue across a wide range of applications,
> including AD management tools.
>
> I have a feeling this is unrelated to Cygwin.

Yeah, pinning is only controlled by Windows itself (shell32
functionality, probably).  It's not under the control of the
application the shortcut points to.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning
@ 2015-11-11 10:32     ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2015-11-11 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 09:53:29AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 11 06:53, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, Brian Mathis!
> >
> > > I recently updated to the latest set of cygwin packages, and something
> > > has broken the terminal icon when pinned to the start menu.  When
> > > starting from the Start menu "Cygwin Terminal" icon, mintty comes up
> > > normally, loads my user profile, and the cwd is set to ~.
> >
> > > However, if I right-click the icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to
> > > taskbar", close the existing terminal, then open by clicking on the
> > > pinned taskbar icon, the terminal starts but it does not load the
> > > profile, the cwd is /usr/bin, and no commands can be found (e.g. ls:
> > > command not found).  I have tracked this down to the pinned icon
> > > missing the arguments "-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -".
> >
> > > I'm sure this worked prior to the update, so something seems to have
> > > changed.  I update fairly often, so this is something recent within
> > > the past month or so.  I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 using Cygwin 32bit.
> >
> > I've experienced this same issue across a wide range of applications,
> > including AD management tools.
> >
> > I have a feeling this is unrelated to Cygwin.
>
> Yeah, pinning is only controlled by Windows itself (shell32
> functionality, probably).  It's not under the control of the
> application the shortcut points to.

Not so.  This is related to the recent MinTTY changes[0].  I get the
bugged behaviour on v2.2.1-0, but if I downgrade to v2.1.5-0, I get the
behaviour Brian is describing as correct, with the command line
arguments preserved when the program is pinned.

I'll guess this is, in particular, related to the "optional Windows
taskbar integration" listed in the changelog in the announcement email.

[0] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-11/msg00020.html

* Re: Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning
@ 2015-11-11 12:12       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-11 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 11 10:32, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 09:53:29AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Nov 11 06:53, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > > Greetings, Brian Mathis!

> > > I've experienced this same issue across a wide range of applications,
> > > including AD management tools.
> > >
> > > I have a feeling this is unrelated to Cygwin.
> >
> > Yeah, pinning is only controlled by Windows itself (shell32
> > functionality, probably).  It's not under the control of the
> > application the shortcut points to.
>
> Not so.  This is related to the recent MinTTY changes[0].  I get the
> bugged behaviour on v2.2.1-0, but if I downgrade to v2.1.5-0, I get the
> behaviour Brian is describing as correct, with the command line
> arguments preserved when the program is pinned.
>
> I'll guess this is, in particular, related to the "optional Windows
> taskbar integration" listed in the changelog in the announcement email.

Oh, ok, I didn't know that.  Thanks for clarifying.

@ 2015-11-11 14:33         ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2015-11-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Nov 11 10:32, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

>>> Yeah, pinning is only controlled by Windows itself (shell32
>>> functionality, probably).  It's not under the control of the
>>> application the shortcut points to.
>>
>> Not so.  This is related to the recent MinTTY changes[0].  I get the
>> bugged behaviour on v2.2.1-0, but if I downgrade to v2.1.5-0, I get the
>> behaviour Brian is describing as correct, with the command line
>> arguments preserved when the program is pinned.
>>
>> I'll guess this is, in particular, related to the "optional Windows
>> taskbar integration" listed in the changelog in the announcement email.
>
> Oh, ok, I didn't know that.  Thanks for clarifying.

Yes indeed thanks for clarifying.  The issue exists regardless of if you
pin the running task or you pin the Desktop icon.  Pinning the Desktop
icon will cause a new icon on the taskbar when MinTTY is executing.
Pinning the open task will cause subsequent task to bypass initial
startup and be sitting in /usr/bin instead of $HOME.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Recent change to terminal icon / mintty breaks taskbar pinning
@ 2015-11-12  8:25           ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2015-11-12  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin