* Re: gnuplot 5.x.x.x not starting correctly in 64-bit CYGWIN console
@ 2015-11-17  0:01 John J Ottusch
From: John J Ottusch @ 2015-11-17  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>  The command 'cygcheck /usr/bin/gnuplot.exe' should give you that
information.

>> Ken

Doing so finds several required DLL's but also reports

  cygcheck: track_down: could not find cyglua-5.1.dll

which is interesting because running the command

  lua

enters an interactive mode (unlike gnuplot), which suggests that 'lua'
might be working.

If cyglua-5.1.dll is part of the normal 64-bit CYGWIN download then

1) I don't understand why it wasn't downloaded and installed
automatically when I updated, and

2) I'm not sure what package(s) I would have to manually (re)install in
order to get the 64-bit version, and

3) it may or may not fix the gnuplot startup problem.

I might add that running 'cygcheck gnuplot' from my 32-bit CYGWIN
installation finds cyglua-5.1.dll in C:\win32app\cygwin\bin\cyglua-
5.1.dll. Of course this version does not work with 64-bit gnuplot.

jjo

(Sorry for the lack of previous context, but I did not receive a copy of
Ken's message in my e-mail box to reply to.)

* Re: gnuplot 5.x.x.x not starting correctly in 64-bit CYGWIN console
@ 2015-11-17  1:35 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-11-17  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: John J Ottusch

On 11/16/2015 7:01 PM, John J Ottusch wrote:
>>>   The command 'cygcheck /usr/bin/gnuplot.exe' should give you that
> information.
>
>>> Ken
>
> Doing so finds several required DLL's but also reports
>
>    cygcheck: track_down: could not find cyglua-5.1.dll
>
> which is interesting because running the command
>
>    lua
>
> enters an interactive mode (unlike gnuplot), which suggests that 'lua'
> might be working.

You probably have lua5.2 installed, which provides cyglua-5.2.dll rather than
cyglua-5.1.dll.

> If cyglua-5.1.dll is part of the normal 64-bit CYGWIN download then

I'm not sure what you mean by the "normal" download, but cyglua-5.1.dll is part
of the lua5.1 package, and the latter is required by gnuplot.

> 1) I don't understand why it wasn't downloaded and installed
> automatically when I updated, and

It should have been.

> 2) I'm not sure what package(s) I would have to manually (re)install in
> order to get the 64-bit version, and

As I mentioned above, you will need to install (or reinstall) lua5.1. You can
discover this kind of thing by going to the Cygwin website and clicking on
"Search Packages" in the left column.

> (Sorry for the lack of previous context, but I did not receive a copy of
> Ken's message in my e-mail box to reply to.)

You should subscribe to the cygwin mailing list (or use something like gmane).
The custom on this list is not to CC individuals, though I've made an exception
this time to make sure you get the message.

Ken

* Re: gnuplot 5.x.x.x not starting correctly in 64-bit CYGWIN console
@ 2015-11-16 22:49 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-11-16 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2015-11-16 21:26 John J Ottusch
From: John J Ottusch @ 2015-11-16 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

3) I wouldn't necessarily expect it to work correctly if I try to start
gnuplot.exe directly from the filename in Windows Explorer, but at least
I get an error message -- "The application was unable to start correctly
(0xc000007b).

Any suggestions on how to fix or debug the problem would be appreciated.

John Ottusch

PS. I tried attaching the outputs from 'cygcheck -s -v -r' for cases 1
and 2 but that message apparently got bounced somewhere along the line.