* BSOD when running from network share
@ 2015-11-19 22:13 Patrick Herbst
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Herbst @ 2015-11-19 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have cygwin installed on a windows network share folder.  Most
everything works fine.

But I get a BSOD when in bash running the following

cat > /tmp/junk <<EOF
asdf
asdf
asdf
asdf
EOF

As soon as i hit enter on "EOF" I get a BSOD RDR_FILE_SYSTEM STOP: 0x00000027

Can anyone else
1) reproduce this?
2) confirm this?
3) fix this?

thanks!

* Re: BSOD when running from network share
@ 2015-11-19 22:21 ` Roger Wells
From: Roger Wells @ 2015-11-19 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/19/2015 05:13 PM, Patrick Herbst wrote:
> I have cygwin installed on a windows network share folder.  Most
> everything works fine.
>
> But I get a BSOD when in bash running the following
>
> cat > /tmp/junk <<EOF
> asdf
> asdf
> asdf
> asdf
> EOF
>
> As soon as i hit enter on "EOF" I get a BSOD RDR_FILE_SYSTEM STOP: 0x00000027
>
> Can anyone else
> 1) reproduce this?
> 2) confirm this?
> 3) fix this?
>
> thanks!

FWIW, no problem here:

roger@rwells-x220 ~
$ cat > /tmp/junk <<EOF
> asdf
> asdf
> asdf
> asdf
> EOF

roger@rwells-x220 ~
$ cat /tmp/junk
asdf
asdf
asdf
asdf

roger@rwells-x220 ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 rwells-x220 2.3.0(0.291/5/3) 2015-11-09 10:24 x86_64 Cygwin

HTH

> --

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)
roger.k.wells@leidos.com

* Re: BSOD when running from network share
@ 2015-11-19 23:20 ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2015-11-19 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/19/2015 5:13 PM, Patrick Herbst wrote:

> As soon as i hit enter on "EOF" I get a BSOD RDR_FILE_SYSTEM STOP: 0x00000027

The full error context can be determined by turning on Full Memory Dumps
and then reproducing the error.  A MEMORY.DMP file will be written to
the %SystemRoot%\Windows directory.

You can load that file into windbg.exe aka Debugging Tools for Windows
which would need to be downloaded and installed.  Use the "!analyze -v"
command within windbg.exe to generate the full context of the kernel
exception.  It will tell you which device driver is at fault and what
the full stack is.

> Can anyone else
> 1) reproduce this?

Doesn't really matter since you can. The ability to reproduce a kernel
exception can be dependent on any number of environmental factors.

> 2) confirm this?
> 3) fix this?

Only the author of the device driver that is crashing will be able to
fix it.

Jeffrey Altman

* Re: BSOD when running from network share
@ 2015-11-20  2:50 ` Mike Fahlbusch
From: Mike Fahlbusch @ 2015-11-20  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Patrick,

On 20/11/2015 8:43 AM, Patrick Herbst wrote:
> I have cygwin installed on a windows network share folder.  Most
> everything works fine.
>
> But I get a BSOD when in bash running the following
>
> cat > /tmp/junk <<EOF
> asdf
> asdf
> asdf
> asdf
> EOF
>
> As soon as i hit enter on "EOF" I get a BSOD RDR_FILE_SYSTEM STOP: 0x00000027
>
> Can anyone else
> 1) reproduce this?
> 2) confirm this?
> 3) fix this?

Putting two EOF on the end of a file can cause an error in some
filesystems. The problem might be more to do with the <<EOF. Can the
<<EOF be dropped?
Also what happens if you type in ^Z after asdf instead of EOF?

--

Regards,
        Mike