* startx doesn't seem to work
@ 2015-11-22  3:21 Peter Van Epp
From: Peter Van Epp @ 2015-11-22  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

	On my Win7 machine with a newly installed cygwin-64 installed via
setup-x86_64.exe with everything default except xinit and xorg-server
selected running startx from a terminal window opens a full screen window
and then dies. A search of startx fails in the mail archives didn't turn up
any thing much. Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong please?

This is what appears in the cygwin terminal window when it dies.

Peter Van Epp

$ startx
xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.17.4.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Owner-PC 2.3.1(0.291/5/3) 2015-11-14 12:44 x86_64
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (Win64)
Package: version 1.17.4-1 built 2015-10-29

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/X :0 -auth /home/Owner/.serverauth.4716

(II) xorg.conf is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
LoadPreferences: /home/Owner/.XWinrc not found
LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winScreenInit - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winWindowProc - WM_SIZE - new client area w: 1904 h: 1002
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(EE) AIGLX: No native OpenGL in modes with a root window
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 952 501
(--) 5 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) Windows keyboard layout: "00000409" (00000409) "US", type 7
(--) Found matching XKB configuration "English (USA)"
(--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "none" Options = "none"
Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "none" Options = "none"
winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
OS maintains clipboard viewer chain: yes
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT message, exiting main loop.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Owner@Owner-PC ~
$ /usr/bin/xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0
^C

Owner@Owner-PC ~

* Re: startx doesn't seem to work
@ 2015-11-23  6:22 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-11-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22/11/2015 04:18, Peter Van Epp wrote:
> 	On my Win7 machine with a newly installed cygwin-64 installed via
> setup-x86_64.exe with everything default except xinit and xorg-server
> selected running startx from a terminal window opens a full screen window
> and then dies. A search of startx fails in the mail archives didn't turn up
> any thing much. Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong please?
>
> This is what appears in the cygwin terminal window when it dies.
>
> Peter Van Epp
>
> $ startx
> xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
> xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist

try startxwin

* Re: startx doesn't seem to work
@ 2015-11-23 21:23 ` Peter Van Epp
From: Peter Van Epp @ 2015-11-23 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On my Win7 machine with a newly installed cygwin-64 installed via
>     setup-x86_64.exe with everything default except xinit and xorg-server
>     selected running startx from a terminal window opens a full screen window
>     and then dies. A search of startx fails in the mail archives didn't turn up
>     any thing much. Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong please?
>
>     This is what appears in the cygwin terminal window when it dies.
>
>     Peter Van Epp
>
>     $ startx
>     xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
>     xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
> try startxwin

Similar result but not even a window this time. As well the same thing happens
(or doesn't happen) on three different machines with three different graphic
cards and different OSes (Win7 pro on this machine, Win10 pro on another,
and Win 7 home premium on the third). I've only loaded xorg-servers xinit and
xterm in addition to the basic and then loaded the dependencies it found, but
it originally failed with a bunch more packages loaded for geda. I'd expect
that this should just work (it has in the past for me) but not right now.
The error message is slightly different though:

winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

at this point it just hangs in the cygwin terminal window until I hit control-c.
From another cygwin terminal the log file has a bit more information:

cat /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log

[  2774.914] OS maintains clipboard viewer chain: yes
[  2774.914] winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
[  2774.914] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
[  2774.914] winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
[  2776.068] winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
[  2918.731] winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT message, exiting main loop.
[  2918.731] winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
[  2918.731] winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
[  2918.731] winMultiWindowXMsgProcIOErrorHandler!
[  2918.731] winInitMultiWindowXMsgProc - Caught IO Error.  Exiting.
[  2918.778] winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
[  2918.778] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

	Hopefully this suggest something to someone (because it isn't to me :-))

Peter Van Epp

* Re: startx doesn't seem to work (solved sort of)
@ 2015-11-29 12:59   ` Peter Van Epp
From: Peter Van Epp @ 2015-11-29 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

	I can get startx to work by one of two methods (neither probably ideal)
(on cygwin-64 in case that matters):

1) install everything in X11 at which point
   this (with only xinit, xorg-server and xterm selected):

$ startx
xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.17.4.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Owner-PC 2.3.1(0.291/5/3) 2015-11-14 12:44 x86_64
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (Win64)
Package: version 1.17.4-1 built 2015-10-29

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/X :0 -auth /home/Owner/.serverauth.2004

[...]

which opens a full screen window for a few seconds and then returns to the
command prompt closing X. After loading everything it turns in to this:

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/X :0 -auth /home/Owner/.serverauth.5296

[...]

	Which results in the expected X windows system til I exited.

or 2)

install everything in Xfce in which case startx starts the xfce4 desktop.
Since I'm happy with xfce4, thats my solution. However it appears to me
that there is a dependency missing in xorg-server as it doesn't appear to
load enough to make X actually work. From the error messages it looks to
to be in winClipboardProc since that seems to be where the error occurs,
but I have no idea where winClipboardProc is in the mass of packages in X11.

@ 2015-12-20  5:46     ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2015-12-20  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>         I can get startx to work by one of two methods (neither probably ideal)
> (on cygwin-64 in case that matters):

I have had the exact same issue since I updated cygwin some months
ago. I just updated now and still cannot start the X server. Very
annoying.

Frédéric

* Re: startx doesn't seem to work (solved sort of)
@ 2015-12-20  7:13     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-12-20  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 29/11/2015 04:34, Peter Van Epp wrote:

> or 2)
>
> install everything in Xfce in which case startx starts the xfce4 desktop.
> Since I'm happy with xfce4, thats my solution. However it appears to me
> that there is a dependency missing in xorg-server as it doesn't appear to
> load enough to make X actually work. From the error messages it looks to
> to be in winClipboardProc since that seems to be where the error occurs,
> but I have no idea where winClipboardProc is in the mass of packages in X11.
>
> Peter Van Epp

$ grep winClipboardProc *.exe
Binary file XWin.exe matches
Binary file xwinclip.exe matches