* rxvt for cygwin64?
@ 2015-12-24  8:12 qrasmfu8f4
From: qrasmfu8f4 @ 2015-12-24  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been using cygwin's rxvt (without X) for years, and prefer it to mintty both because I use rxvt on all my linux machines and because I've never liked putty.  Despite most (but not all) of my Windows machines running 64-but windows7, I've procrastinated on switching to cygwin64, but I recently had to replace my laptop with a new Windows 10 machine, and figured I might as well install cygwin64.  Everything went well until I discovered rxvt is not available in 64-bit.  I found this thread (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00016.html) from 9/2013 in the archives, but there doesn't seem to have been any resolution.

Is there any plan to port rxvt to cygwin64?
If not, does anyone have any hints so I can try it myself (I have 35 years of system software development experience, but I never worked on any cygwin software)?

    thanks,
    Peter

* Re: rxvt for cygwin64?
@ 2015-12-24  8:27 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-12-24  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 24/12/2015 09:12, qrasmfu8f4@snkmail.com wrote:
> I've been using cygwin's rxvt (without X) for years, and prefer it to mintty both because I use rxvt on all my linux machines and because I've never liked putty.  Despite most (but not all) of my Windows machines running 64-but windows7, I've procrastinated on switching to cygwin64, but I recently had to replace my laptop with a new Windows 10 machine, and figured I might as well install cygwin64.  Everything went well until I discovered rxvt is not available in 64-bit.  I found this thread (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00016.html) from 9/2013 in the archives, but there doesn't seem to have been any resolution.
>
> Is there any plan to port rxvt to cygwin64?

no plan.
rxvt is dead upstream, and rxvt without X is a hell and without
a maintainer by long time

mintty is a much better solution and with an active maintainer

> If not, does anyone have any hints so I can try it myself (I have 35 years of system software development experience, but I never worked on any cygwin software)?
>
>      thanks,
>      Peter

Regards
Marco

* Re: rxvt for cygwin64?
@ 2015-12-24 18:11   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2015-12-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/24/2015 3:27 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 24/12/2015 09:12, qrasmfu8f4@snkmail.com wrote:
>> I've been using cygwin's rxvt (without X) for years, and prefer it to
>> mintty both because I use rxvt on all my linux machines and because
>> I've never liked putty.  Despite most (but not all) of my Windows
>> machines running 64-but windows7, I've procrastinated on switching to
>> cygwin64, but I recently had to replace my laptop with a new Windows
>> 10 machine, and figured I might as well install cygwin64.  Everything
>> went well until I discovered rxvt is not available in 64-bit.  I found
>> this thread (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00016.html) from
>> 9/2013 in the archives, but there doesn't seem to have been any
>> resolution.
>>
>> Is there any plan to port rxvt to cygwin64?
>
> no plan.
> rxvt is dead upstream, and rxvt without X is a hell and without
> a maintainer by long time

Uhm not really a hell but is troublesome.  You need to build the windows
X emulation pieces first.  The fact that upstream maintenance is dead
will be a bigger issue.  There may need to be items you need to deal
with at the 64bit level.

> mintty is a much better solution and with an active maintainer

Your opinion on the bike shed color but the fact that there is active
development is a plus.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: rxvt for cygwin64?
@ 2015-12-24 18:33     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-12-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 24/12/2015 19:11, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 12/24/2015 3:27 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>>> Is there any plan to port rxvt to cygwin64?
>>
>> no plan.
>> rxvt is dead upstream, and rxvt without X is a hell and without
>> a maintainer by long time
>>

> Uhm not really a hell but is troublesome.  You need to build the windows
> X emulation pieces first.  The fact that upstream maintenance is dead
> will be a bigger issue.  There may need to be items you need to deal
> with at the 64bit level.
>
>> mintty is a much better solution and with an active maintainer
>>

> Your opinion on the bike shed color but the fact that there is active
> development is a plus.

As mintty is the default is a bit more than my preferred bike color.

No one is maintaining "rxvt without X" or trying to port it on 64bit
so it seems to me a clear indication of a hell of issue.

Feel free to work on it, anyway

Regards
Marco

* Re: rxvt for cygwin64?
@ 2015-12-30 11:32   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-12-30 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 24.12.2015 um 09:27 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> On 24/12/2015 09:12, qrasmfu8f4@snkmail.com wrote:
>> I've been using cygwin's rxvt (without X) for years, and prefer it to
>> mintty both because I use rxvt on all my linux machines and because
>> I've never liked putty.  ...
Mintty does not have much flavour of putty left in, except maybe in the
(much reduced) Options menu.
If there is something specific that you don't like, feel free to make a
suggestion or raise an issue.

> rxvt is dead upstream, ...
and does not support Unicode!

---