* Two web page issues
@ 2016-01-04 18:19 Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2016-01-04 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(I'm not subscribed to this list, so hopefully this will work.)

One thing that bugged me in the past is the use of "BLODA" in the FAQ
text ("all software on the BLODA") -- since it's part of the text, an
obvious question is what it means, and, confusingly enough, that's not
explained in the text that BLODA links to.  I eventually googled my way
to the explanation that time -- and since fork issues are rare enough,
it's been enough time to forget the meaning of that thing, so I just
went down the same path.  Again.  I'm guessing that someone thought that
it'll catch on as a term, but it still looks like a cygwin-ism.

(For extra credit, google now helpfully suggests images -- look for it
now, then imagine that someone else looked at your screen as you're
trying to stutter something that sounds technical.)

It would be nice if the above text says just "all software on <this
list>", or otherwise explains the meaning in the #faq.using.bloda entry.

A second thing that could use some friendly improvement is to list the
email address of this list in the page that describes it.  AFAICT, this
should be https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ -- but there is nowhere that I
see there where the actual email is found...  In theory, I guess that I
could read through https://cygwin.com/lists.html and reach the point
list" and guess that the "cygwin:" entry means that that's the email.
But in practice this is as good as not being there...

--
                    ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                   Eli Barzilay:

* Re: Two web page issues
@ 2016-01-04 18:34 ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-01-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: eli

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org> wrote:
> (I'm not subscribed to this list, so hopefully this will work.)

I'm mildly surprised it did (see below).

> One thing that bugged me in the past is the use of "BLODA" in the FAQ
> text ("all software on the BLODA") -- since it's part of the text, an
> obvious question is what it means, and, confusingly enough, that's not
> explained in the text that BLODA links to.

https://cygwin.com/acronyms/

I don't know how this is linked to; I have it bookmarked.

> I eventually googled my way to the explanation that time -- and since
> fork issues are rare enough, it's been enough time to forget the
> meaning of that thing, so I just went down the same path.  Again.
> I'm guessing that someone thought that it'll catch on as a term,
> but it still looks like a cygwin-ism.
>
> (For extra credit, google now helpfully suggests images -- look for it
> now, then imagine that someone else looked at your screen as you're
> trying to stutter something that sounds technical.)

This extra credit assignment was ... interesting...  ;)

> It would be nice if the above text says just "all software on <this
> list>", or otherwise explains the meaning in the #faq.using.bloda entry.
>

> A second thing that could use some friendly improvement is to list the
> email address of this list in the page that describes it.  AFAICT, this
> should be https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ -- but there is nowhere that I
> see there where the actual email is found...  In theory, I guess that I
> could read through https://cygwin.com/lists.html and reach the point
> list" and guess that the "cygwin:" entry means that that's the email.
> But in practice this is as good as not being there...

I've found it before, but I'm subscribed, so... specifically not
listing the address is a common spam prevention method, and many lists
will reject (silently or otherwise) email from non-subscribed
addresses as a spam prevention method as well.

-- Erik

> --
>                     ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                   Eli Barzilay:
>                     http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!
>
> --

* Re: Two web page issues
@ 2016-01-04 18:45   ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2016-01-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Soderquist; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Erik Soderquist
<Erik.Soderquist@dynatrace.com> wrote:

> https://cygwin.com/acronyms/
>
> I don't know how this is linked to; I have it bookmarked.

(Yeah, I did get there eventually, both times (possibly more).  It
didn't help that I spend a few good minutes reading around only to end
up learning that it's a silly acronym that could have been spared...)

> I've found it before, but I'm subscribed, so... specifically not
> listing the address is a common spam prevention method, and many lists
> will reject (silently or otherwise) email from non-subscribed
> addresses as a spam prevention method as well.

I thought that this could be a motivation too -- but first, at least the
"foo at cygwin dot com" could be used, and second, I checked other lists
there and some do list their address.  (And as someone who managed a
relatively popular bunch of mailing lists, I can definitely say that not
writing the mailing list's address on a web page is not going to make a
noticeable dent at the amount of spam it receives...)

--
                    ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                   Eli Barzilay:

* Re: Two web page issues
@ 2016-01-04 19:20   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-01-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Soderquist, cygwin

Greetings, Erik Soderquist!

>> But in practice this is as good as not being there...

> I've found it before, but I'm subscribed, so... specifically not
> listing the address is a common spam prevention method, and many lists
> will reject (silently or otherwise) email from non-subscribed
> addresses as a spam prevention method as well.

To add to that, please configure your email client to not quote raw email
addresses.

@Eli Barzilay, you too.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Two web page issues
@ 2016-01-04 19:51     ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-01-04 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Eli Barzilay

> Greetings, Erik Soderquist!
<snip>
> To add to that, please configure your email client to not quote raw email
> addresses.
>
> @Eli Barzilay, you too.

web client; I don't have the option to configure :(

-- Erik

* Re: Two web page issues
@ 2016-01-04 19:59       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2016-01-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/4/2016 2:51 PM, Erik Soderquist wrote:
>> Greetings, Erik Soderquist!
> <snip>
>> To add to that, please configure your email client to not quote raw email
>> addresses.
>>
>> @Eli Barzilay, you too.
>
> web client; I don't have the option to configure :(

Then do a manual modification.  At one point in time this list rejected
such email.  That must have disappeared with the loss of CGF.

--
cyg Simple