* Re: Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-09 13:52 Zac G. Al Wakeel
From: Zac G. Al Wakeel @ 2016-01-09 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> For the archives, would you say which software was causing the problem?

I was using Avast, free software.

* Re: Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-09 14:36 ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2016-01-09 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Zac G. Al Wakeel wrote:

>> For the archives, would you say which software was causing the problem?
>
> I was using Avast, free software.

A user of a compiled Perl program I wrote (ActiveState) also had
problems running it with Avast.  So I am not surprised.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

* Re: Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-11 16:13 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-01-11 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 9, 2016, at 2:11 AM, Zac G. Al Wakeel <ghanimm4@gmail.com> wrote:

>> For the archives, would you say which software was causing the problem?
>
> I was using Avast, free software.

Then I recommend uninstalling it and switching to Windows Defender.  I predict that your problems will not return.

* Re: Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-11 16:44   ` Mark Hansen
From: Mark Hansen @ 2016-01-11 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/11/2016 7:41 AM, Warren Young wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2016, at 2:11 AM, Zac G. Al Wakeel<ghanimm4@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>>  For the archives, would you say which software was causing the problem?
>>
>>  I was using Avast, free software.
>
> Then I recommend uninstalling it and switching to Windows Defender.  I predict that your problems will not return.
> --

I use AVG which also has a free version (http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download).

Once in a while, it tries to "vault" a cygwin executable. I just tell it to put it back
and leave it alone. There's probably a way to tell it to just ignore the whole cygwin
directory, but the problem has not come up enough to warrant looking up how to do this.

Good luck.

* Re: Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-08 19:54 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-01-08 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-01-08 19:49   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-01-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 7, 2016, at 9:59 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 2016-01-07 20:14, Zac G. Al Wakeel wrote:
>> Thank you Warren, it worked. But what would you suggest for future? I can't
>> leave the machine without antivirus
>
> Start by choosing one NOT on this list:
>
> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Are you certain that Windows Defender belongs on that list?  I’ve run it for years without problems.

Microsoft has different incentives to provide antimalware software than the third-party commercial providers, which I find provides better outcomes:

1. Defender doesn’t have to trigger all kinds of false positives to “prove” that it’s doing things for you, so you’re scared into paying them again next year.

2. It’s from the OS provider, so it naturally does its thing using MS-provided mechanisms, instead of the shady API hooking that other antimalware providers use.

3. Microsoft would prefer that you believe there is no malware problem, so it takes as few running resources as possible, and pops up only when it’s really necessary.

IMHO, there is no reason to run anything other than Microsoft’s antimalware offerings.  Microsoft finally took ownership of this problem, and is now doing a good job of trying to solve it.

* Re: Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-08  7:48 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-01-08  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-01-08  4:59 Zac G. Al Wakeel
From: Zac G. Al Wakeel @ 2016-01-08  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-01-07 20:19 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-01-07 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 7, 2016, at 10:54 AM, Zac G. Al Wakeel <ghanimm4@gmail.com> wrote:

> when I try to run the compiled output (.exe) in which cygwin keeps thinking without giving the result.

That is not how Cygwin normally behaves.  Something is strange on your particular system.

The most common problem is interference by antimalware software, since it changes how key Windows APIs work.  Unless this is done very carefully, it can break normal user software such as Cygwin.

You can try disabling or uninstalling things like McAfee, or try the same tasks on a cleaner computer, such as a virtual machine.

* Cannot Run Executable Files
@ 2016-01-07 17:54 Zac G. Al Wakeel
From: Zac G. Al Wakeel @ 2016-01-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am having a problem with running executable files (.exe) on cygwin. I'm fairly new to cygwin and in the process of learning. I have just installed cygwin's packages for Devel, X11, and editor. I use gvim for text editing then gfortran to compile  , my problem occurs when I try to run the compiled output (.exe) in which cygwin keeps thinking without giving the result. The program I wrote is very basic (hello world).

I am using Windows 10 64bit

I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Zac Al Wakeel