* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
       [not found] ` <1452453272.4723872.1452908121695.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-01-16 20:09   ` Richard Heintze
From: Richard Heintze @ 2016-01-16 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Friday, January 15, 2016 5:35 PM, Richard Heintze <sieg_heintze@yahoo.com> wrote:

regarding: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html

I'm getting similar errors (see link below) but only on Windows 10 with Cygwin 64. When I use Cygwin emacs instead of FSF emacs I do not get this error on Windows 10.
Unfortunately, Cygwin emacs does not allow me to make extensive use of my my environment variables embedded in file path/names like the windows version of FSF emacs does. This is a major problem!

I do not get this error with windows 8 and Cygwin32.

Do you think installing cygwin32 on Windows 10 would solve the problem? If it does not solve the problem, can I uninstalling cygwin32 by just deleting c\:Cygwin?

Has this been reported as a bug? Has any progress been made on fixing it?

Thanks
Siegfried

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-16 20:29     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-16 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/16/2016 2:38 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:

> On Friday, January 15, 2016 5:35 PM, Richard Heintze <sieg_heintze@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> regarding: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html
>
> I'm getting similar errors (see link below) but only on Windows 10 with Cygwin 64.

You seem to have omitted the link.

> When I use Cygwin emacs instead of FSF emacs I do not get this error on Windows 10.
> Unfortunately, Cygwin emacs does not allow me to make extensive use of my my environment variables embedded in file path/names like the windows version of FSF emacs does. This is a major problem!

What do you mean by "environment variables embedded in file path/names"?

> I do not get this error with windows 8 and Cygwin32.
>
> Do you think installing cygwin32 on Windows 10 would solve the problem? If it does not solve the problem, can I uninstalling cygwin32 by just deleting c\:Cygwin?
>
> Has this been reported as a bug? Has any progress been made on fixing it?

I can't make much sense out of what you wrote, but I'm responding as
Cygwin's emacs maintainer.  Is there some emacs problem I can help you
with?  If so, please make a complete, self-contained report.

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-19 19:40       ` Richard Heintze
From: Richard Heintze @ 2016-01-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin

Thanks. Here is the missing link:
https://cygwin.com/ml/2011-02/msg00416.html .

Wow! that is link very old. I hope that means that someone has a fix!

Anyway, I'm getting very similar symptoms on cygwin64 with windows 10 with FSF emacs 23.2, 24.2& 24.5. I don't have this problem on cygwin32 and windows 8.1.

I also do not get this problem with Cygwin emacs-w32 on windows 10 with cygwin64 (strangely enough).

Unfortunately, the following file name (for example) works with fsf emacs and not Cygwin emacs-w32:

$USERPROFILE/Documents/hello.txt

Even some bash commands accept this but emacs-w32 does not.

I use these environment variables extensively to facilitate moving between different windows logins.

Thanks
Siegfrie

--
Problem reports:      http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  http://cygwin.com/faq/

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-19 22:40         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-19 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Heintze, cygwin

On 1/19/2016 2:06 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
> Unfortunately, the following file name (for example) works with fsf emacs and not Cygwin emacs-w32:
>
> $USERPROFILE/Documents/hello.txt
>
> Even some bash commands accept this but emacs-w32 does not.
>
> I use these environment variables extensively to facilitate moving between different windows logins.

Using environment variables isn't the problem.  The problem is that
$USERPROFILE is a native Win32 path.  To use it in Cygwin emacs, convert
it to a Posix path.  For example:

$ echo $USERPROFILE
C:\Users\kbrown

$ cygpath -u $USERPROFILE
/c/Users/kbrown

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-19 23:37         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-19 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Heintze, cygwin

On 1/19/2016 2:06 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
> Anyway, I'm getting very similar symptoms on cygwin64 with windows 10 with FSF emacs 23.2, 24.2& 24.5.

By the way, some people might be confused by your phrase "FSF emacs".
You're talking about a native Windows build of emacs as opposed to a
Cygwin build of emacs.  Both are based on the same sources and have the
same connection to the FSF.

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-20  1:26           ` Richard Heintze
From: Richard Heintze @ 2016-01-20  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin

Regarding my choice of terms: I was trying use terms consistent with that old link
"https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html".

(1) So is there a fix for the problem described in this link "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html"? According to
Corinna Vinschen's comments it is a Cygwin problem, not an emacs problem. I would love to have a fix.
(2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native emacs.

Thank you
Siegfried

>On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:48 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>On 1/19/2016 2:06 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>> Anyway, I'm getting very similar symptoms on cygwin64 with windows 10 with FSF emacs 23.2, 24.2& 24.5.

>By the way, some people might be confused by your phrase "FSF emacs".
>You're talking about a native Windows build of emacs as opposed to a
>Cygwin build of emacs.  Both are based on the same sources and have the
>same connection to the FSF.

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-20  5:39             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-20  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Heintze, cygwin

[Please don't top post.]

On 1/19/2016 6:34 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
> Regarding my choice of terms: I was trying use terms consistent with that old link
> "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html".

That message doesn't even mention emacs.  That's why I said in my first
reply to you that I couldn't make much sense of what you wrote.

> (1) So is there a fix for the problem described in this link "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html"? According to
> Corinna Vinschen's comments it is a Cygwin problem, not an emacs problem. I would love to have a fix.

I still don't know the connection between that message and emacs.  Could
you say exactly what problem you're having?

> (2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native emacs.

The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special
feature of native Windows emacs.  But the expansion has to yield a valid
file name.  In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.

Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant
environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from
your .bashrc.

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-20 12:19               ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-01-20 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin

Greetings, Ken Brown!

>> (2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these
>> environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to
>> type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless
>> of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that
>> every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined
>> environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash
>> prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share
>> the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain
>> these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native
>> emacs.

> The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special
> feature of native Windows emacs.  But the expansion has to yield a valid
> file name.  In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.

> Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant
> environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from
> your .bashrc.

I think it would be easier to just set Cygwin to use $USERPROFILE as $HOME.
Then $HOME would be a POSIX path you can use in the emacs config.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-20 18:32                 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-20 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/20/2016 4:19 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Ken Brown!
>
>>> (2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these
>>> environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to
>>> type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless
>>> of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that
>>> every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined
>>> environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash
>>> prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share
>>> the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain
>>> these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native
>>> emacs.
>
>> The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special
>> feature of native Windows emacs.  But the expansion has to yield a valid
>> file name.  In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.
>
>> Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant
>> environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from
>> your .bashrc.
>
> I think it would be easier to just set Cygwin to use $USERPROFILE as $HOME.
> Then $HOME would be a POSIX path you can use in the emacs config.

The OP stated that USERPROFILE is one of dozens of problematic
environment variables, so that wouldn't help.

Siegfried, if the script idea doesn't work for you, another possibility
is to solve your problem in elisp by using the function
cygwin-convert-file-name-from-windows, which exists in the Cygwin build
of emacs.  For example, here's a snippet from server.el in the emacs
development trunk:

;; Allow Cygwin's emacsclient to be used as a file
;; handler on MS-Windows, in which case FILENAME
;; might start with a drive letter.
(when (and (fboundp 'cygwin-convert-file-name-from-windows)
	   (string-match "\\`[A-Za-z]:" file))
   (setq file (cygwin-convert-file-name-from-windows file)))

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-20 23:45                 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2016-01-20 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/20/2016 4:19 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

> I think it would be easier to just set Cygwin to use $USERPROFILE as $HOME.
> Then $HOME would be a POSIX path you can use in the emacs config.

You can do that before you start Cygwin or even in the /etc/profile.d
scripts.  But I agree that $USERPROFILE should remain in Windows format.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-21  9:10               ` Richard Heintze
From: Richard Heintze @ 2016-01-21  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin

>On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:26 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>[Please don't top post.]

>On 1/19/2016 6:34 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>> Regarding my choice of terms: I was trying use terms consistent with that old link
>> "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html".

>That message doesn't even mention emacs.  That's why I said in my first
>reply to you that I couldn't make much sense of what you wrote.

>> (1) So is there a fix for the problem described in this link "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html"? According to
>> Corinna Vinschen's comments it is a Cygwin problem, not an emacs problem. I would love to have a fix.

>I still don't know the connection between that message and emacs.  Could
>you say exactly what problem you're having?

>> (2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless >of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash >prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native >emacs.

>The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special
>feature of native Windows emacs.  But the expansion has to yield a valid
>file name.  In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.

>Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant
>environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from
>your .bashrc.

>Ken
Ken:
Thanks for being persistent! I'm sorry for the confusion. I had to google search "top post". I hope I'm doing it right now.

When I run the bash prompt directly by clicking on the Cygwin icon, everything is fine.
When I run Cygwin or native emacs on win 8 and use the emacs compile or async shell command to run a bash command everything is fine.
When I run Cygwin emacs on win 10 and use the compile or asynch shell command run bash command everything is fine.
However, when I run native (FSF/windows) emacs on win10 and use the compile or asynch shell command to run bash commands that contain a pipe ("|") or child ($(bashcommand)), I get very similar symptoms (maybe the same) as "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html". For example  perl -e 'print "hello"' is fine. However, echo $(perl -e 'print "hello"') causes a stack trace like "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html"
After reading Corinna's comments  I'm thinking this is a Cygwin/bash problem. What do you think?
Let me know if I need to send you my stackdump file.
Thank you!
Siegfried

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-21 15:42                 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-21 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/20/2016 9:20 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>> On 1/19/2016 6:34 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>>> Regarding my choice of terms: I was trying use terms consistent with that old link
>>> "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html".
>
>> That message doesn't even mention emacs.  That's why I said in my first
>> reply to you that I couldn't make much sense of what you wrote.
>
>>> (1) So is there a fix for the problem described in this link "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html"? According to
>>> Corinna Vinschen's comments it is a Cygwin problem, not an emacs problem. I would love to have a fix.
>
>> I still don't know the connection between that message and emacs.  Could
>> you say exactly what problem you're having?
>
>>> (2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless >of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash >prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native >emacs.
>
>> The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special
>> feature of native Windows emacs.  But the expansion has to yield a valid
>> file name.  In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.
>
>> Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant
>> environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from
>> your .bashrc.
>

>> Ken
> Ken:
> Thanks for being persistent! I'm sorry for the confusion. I had to google search "top post". I hope I'm doing it right now.

Yes, thank you.

> When I run the bash prompt directly by clicking on the Cygwin icon, everything is fine.
> When I run Cygwin or native emacs on win 8 and use the emacs compile or async shell command to run a bash command everything is fine.
> When I run Cygwin emacs on win 10 and use the compile or asynch shell command run bash command everything is fine.
> However, when I run native (FSF/windows) emacs on win10 and use the compile or asynch shell command to run bash commands that contain a pipe ("|") or child ($(bashcommand)), I get very similar symptoms (maybe the same) as "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html".

Please give details.  What command did you give?  How long is your PATH?
  What error message did you get?

  For example  perl -e 'print "hello"' is fine. However, echo $(perl -e
'print "hello"') causes a stack trace like
"https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html"
> After reading Corinna's comments  I'm thinking this is a Cygwin/bash problem. What do you think?

I really have no idea whether your problem is the same as the one in the
bug report you cite.  But that report says the problem occurs when the
command line or PATH is very long.  You haven't given enough details for
us to know whether that's the case in your setting.  Also, the fact that
you have problems only on Windows 10 makes me think something completely
different might be going on.

In the meantime, I'm looking into patching emacs so that the Cygwin
build will accept Windows file names, at least under some circumstances.
  If I can do that without breaking anything else, I'll put out a test
release.

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-01-24 11:57                   ` Ken Brown
       [not found]                     ` <628638256.152717.1453783725662.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com>
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-24 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Richard Heintze

On 1/21/2016 8:18 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> In the meantime, I'm looking into patching emacs so that the Cygwin
> build will accept Windows file names, at least under some circumstances.
>   If I can do that without breaking anything else, I'll put out a test
> release.

This is done now.  Please test.

Ken

@ 2016-01-26 19:56                       ` Ken Brown
       [not found]                         ` <813797665.101723.1454369130463.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com>
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Heintze; +Cc: cygwin

[Please keep the discussion on the mailing list so that others can
benefit from it.]

On 1/25/2016 11:48 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
> How do I know I have your new version? Does it not take a while to propagate to all those servers? Is there a special place/server I can download and install it?
>
> I'm running the Cygwin install program and it wants to know if I want to reinstall 24.5-2?

Click on the spinner in the "New" column until it says 24.5-3.

Ken

@ 2016-02-01 23:42                           ` Richard Heintze
From: Richard Heintze @ 2016-02-01 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Heintze, Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin

On 1/25/2016 11:48 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>> How do I know I have your new version? Does it not take a while to propagate to all those servers? Is there a special place/server I can download and install it?
>>
>> I'm running the Cygwin install program and it wants to know if I want to reinstall 24.5-2?

>Click on the spinner in the "New" column until it says 24.5-3.

(1) OK, I did that and I saw the 24.5-3. However, when I got to help about emacs, it says 24.5-1! did I do wrong?
(2) I want to post my stack dump and error messages from using bash with Native windows (aka FSF, or non-Cygwin) emacs since I think this is a bug in bash (and the original topic). Should I start a new thread for that?

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-02-02  2:52                             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-02  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Heintze; +Cc: cygwin

On 2/1/2016 6:38 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
> (1) OK, I did that and I saw the 24.5-3. However, when I got to help about emacs, it says 24.5-1! did I do wrong?

I don't think it says 24.5-1.  It says 24.5.1.  The ".1" is a build
counter, which has nothing to do with Cygwin's release number 3.

> (2) I want to post my stack dump and error messages from using bash with Native windows (aka FSF, or non-Cygwin) emacs since I think this is a bug in bash (and the original topic). Should I start a new thread for that?

Unless you still think it's related to fork issues with long command
lines and long $PATH, I suggest you start a new thread.  I won't be able
to help you with that, but maybe someone else will.

Ken

* Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?
@ 2016-02-12 23:41                               ` Richard Heintze
From: Richard Heintze @ 2016-02-12 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin

>On Monday, February 1, 2016 6:52 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>On 2/1/2016 6:38 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
>> (1) OK, I did that and I saw the 24.5-3. However, when I got to help about emacs, it says 24.5-1! did I do wrong?

>I don't think it says 24.5-1.  It says 24.5.1.  The ".1" is a build
>counter, which has nothing to do with Cygwin's release number 3.

>> (2) I want to post my stack dump and error messages from using bash with Native windows (aka FSF, or non-Cygwin) emacs since I think >this is a bug in bash (and the original topic). Should I start a new thread for that?

>Unless you still think it's related to fork issues with long command
>lines and long $PATH, I suggest you start a new thread.  I won't be able
>to help you with that, but maybe someone else will.

>Ken

Thanks Ken. I got it.
I fixed my strange problems with FSF/Native/MinGW emacs with a new version of windows 10.

More on a new thread.