* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
       [not found] <1456258759.50776.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2016-02-23 20:42 ` Jaakov
From: Jaakov @ 2016-02-23 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken, I'll try your file, thanks a lot!

But let us recapitulate that such files get outdated very quickly.
Frankly speaking, I would be most probably lost when in need to adapt
some part of your file.

(E.g., the documentation
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html
from January 28, 2016, mentions a .startxwinrc which no more works due
to  -profile -> --profile.)

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-24  0:12   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-24  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/23/2016 3:42 PM, Jaakov wrote:
> Ken, I'll try your file, thanks a lot!
>
> But let us recapitulate that such files get outdated very quickly.

Your best defense against this is to read the xinit release
announcements.  You can always ask for help if you want to change the
new behavior and aren't sure how.

Here are the last two announcements in which there were major changes to
the xinit package; both of them spelled out the changes very clearly:

   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html
   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2014-11/msg00004.html

Ken

@ 2016-02-24  1:19 ` Jaakov
From: Jaakov @ 2016-02-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 > On 2/23/2016 3:42 PM, Jaakov wrote:
 >    Ken, I'll try your file, thanks a lot!
 >    But let us recapitulate that such files get outdated very quickly.
 > Your best defense against this is to read the xinit release
 > announcements. You can always ask for help if you want to change the
 > new behavior and aren't sure how.
 >
 > Here are the last two announcements in which there were major changes
 > to the xinit package; both of them spelled out the changes very
 > clearly:
 > https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

Inside, Yaakov says
"* xterm is no longer started by default.  Users may start their choice
of terminal from the menu."

So, let me beg for an excuse, I should have really read that earlier.
However, search engines did not give me that message and

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-startxwin-no-windows

misled me, since it said "Task manager shows the startxwin.exe process
starting, spawning XWin.exe and xterm.exe,..." This FAQ entry is
outdated and should be adapted.

In any case, let me thank you for you help and links!

Best,

Jaakov (with J, not Y).

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-03-24 22:49   ` Mark Hansen
From: Mark Hansen @ 2016-03-24 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Here is an FAQ on this topic:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-xserver-nolisten-tcp-default

@ 2016-03-24 22:52     ` Mark Hansen
From: Mark Hansen @ 2016-03-24 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/24/2016 3:49 PM, Mark Hansen wrote:
> Here is an FAQ on this topic:
>
> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-xserver-nolisten-tcp-default
>
> Here are the last two announcements in which there were major changes to
> the xinit package; both of them spelled out the changes very clearly:
>
>      https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html
>      https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2014-11/msg00004.html

Sorry, I accidentally send this to the wrong place.

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 22:19       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/22/2016 4:51 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> There's no need for this complexity.  If you don't like what the system
> startxwinrc does, just copy it to ~/.startxwinrc and modify it to suit
> your purposes.

For example, something like the attached .startxwinrc might do what you
want.

Ken

[-- Attachment #2: .startxwinrc --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2999 bytes --]

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright (C) 1999 - 2005, 2014 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved. This
# copyrighted material is made available to anyone wishing to use, modify,
# copy, or redistribute it subject to the terms and conditions of the
# GNU General Public License version 2.
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#
# Authors:
#	Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi@redhat.com>

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
if [ -z "$GDMSESSION" ]; then
    # GDM redirect output itself in a smarter fashion
    errfile="$HOME/.xsession-errors"
    if ( umask 077 && cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null ); then
        chmod 600 "$errfile"
        [ -x /sbin/restorecon ] && /sbin/restorecon $errfile
        exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
    else
        errfile=$(mktemp -q /tmp/xses-$USER.XXXXXX)
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
            exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
        fi
    fi
fi

# Mandatorily source xinitrc-common, which is common code shared between the
# Xsession and xinitrc scripts which has been factored out to avoid duplication
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common

export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE="gtk"
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="xwin-"
export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="X-Cygwin"
# default settings
[ -x /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update ] && /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update
[ -x /usr/bin/gsettings-data-convert ] && /usr/bin/gsettings-data-convert

if [ -x /usr/bin/trayer ] ; then
    /usr/bin/trayer --edge top --align left --widthtype request &
    TRAY=1
fi

if [ -x /usr/libexec/notification-daemon -a -n "$TRAY" ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/notification-daemon &
elif [ -x /usr/libexec/mate-notification-daemon ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/mate-notification-daemon &
elif [ -x /usr/lib/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd ] ; then
    /usr/lib/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd &
elif [ -x /usr/bin/lxqt-notificationd ] ; then
    /usr/bin/lxqt-notificationd &
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 ] ; then
    /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
    if [ -x /usr/bin/pasystray -a -n "$TRAY" ] ; then
	/usr/bin/pasystray &
    elif [ -x /usr/bin/mate-volume-control-applet -a -n "$TRAY" ] ; then
	/usr/bin/mate-volume-control-applet &
    fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon ] ; then
    eval `/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start`
    export GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL GPG_AGENT_INFO SSH_AUTH_SOCK
fi

[ -x /usr/bin/krb5-auth-dialog -a -n "$TRAY" ] && /usr/bin/krb5-auth-dialog &

if [ -x /usr/libexec/evolution/3.12/evolution-alarm-notify ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/evolution/3.12/evolution-alarm-notify &
elif [ -x /usr/libexec/evolution/3.10/evolution-alarm-notify ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/evolution/3.10/evolution-alarm-notify &
fi

[ -x /usr/bin/seahorse-sharing ] && /usr/bin/seahorse-sharing &
[ -x /usr/bin/zeitgeist-datahub ] && /usr/bin/zeitgeist-datahub &
[ -x /usr/bin/fbxkb ] && /usr/bin/fbxkb &
/usr/bin/uxterm -ls &
exec /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 21:52     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/22/2016 3:55 PM, Jaakov wrote:
> And yet a third alternative would be to automatically install a default
> $HOME/.startxwinrc during updates.

That would completely defeat the purpose of ~/.startxwinrc, which is to
allow the user to override the system startxwinrc.

Ken

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 21:51     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-02-22 20:55   ` Jaakov
From: Jaakov @ 2016-02-22 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-02-22 20:47   ` Jaakov
From: Jaakov @ 2016-02-22 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Ah, perhaps.  There may be ways to catch that, but it may be easier for the
> OP to copy the startxwinrc file's contents.  Not the best for responding to
> future changes ...

One way to prevent recursion is

if [[ "$FILEINCLUDED" != "1" ]];
then
   export FILEINCLUDED=1
   ...  # do real job here
fi

However, placing this either into the systemwide startxwinrc or into the
local .startxwinrc would not do anything useful.

The right thing to do would be to append a call to
$HOME/.startxwinrc_final (this name is freshly invented, feel free to
change) at the end of the systemwide startxwinrc. An alternative would
be to call $HOME/.startxwinrc_final from the same place from where the
systemwide startxwinrc is called; namely right after it.

Anyone feeling of doing this?

Thanks!

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22  2:43     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-22  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/21/2016 8:59 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

>> Do this in your personal .startxwinrc file ...
>
> Won't this lead to an infinite recursion?  (See https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-02/msg00325.html)

Ah, perhaps.  There may be ways to catch that, but it may be easier for the
OP to copy the startxwinrc file's contents.  Not the best for responding to
future changes ...

EM

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22  1:59   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/21/2016 6:21 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 2/21/2016 4:28 PM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:
>>
>>> Why not do:
>>
>>> xterm ... &
>>
>>> /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc
>
> Do this in your personal .startxwinrc file ...

Won't this lead to an infinite recursion?  (See
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-02/msg00325.html)

Ken

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 23:21 ` Eliot Moss
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaakov Jaakov, Cygwin

@ 2016-02-21 21:07     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-21 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why not do:

xterm ... &
/etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc

?

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 18:41 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-02-21 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaakov Jaakov, Cygwin

On 21/02/2016 19:24, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:

> Dear Marco:
>
> So, are you saying that not starting xterm is by design?

yes

>> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html
>
> The manpage above is a bit outdated; creating a .startxwinrc with
>
> xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
> xbiff -geometry -430+5 &
> oclock -geometry 75x75-0-0 &
> xload -geometry -80-0 &
> xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
> xterm -geometry +0-100 &
> xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
> exec fbpanel -profile multiwindow
>
> and running startxwin from the text console results in
>
> ---

It is an example....

try just

xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
xterm -geometry +0-100 &
exec  xclock

killing xclock will shutdown the X server.
You can use any other program for that.

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 18:24 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-02-21 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin; +Cc: marco.atzeri

Dear Marco:

So, are you saying that not starting xterm is by design?

> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html

The manpage above is a bit outdated; creating a .startxwinrc with

xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
xbiff -geometry -430+5 &
oclock -geometry 75x75-0-0 &
xload -geometry -80-0 &
xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
xterm -geometry +0-100 &
xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
exec fbpanel -profile multiwindow

and running startxwin from the text console results in

---
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.18.1.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.3 dell_vostro 2.4.1(0.293/5/3) 2016-01-24 11:26 x86_64
OS: Windows 8.1  [Windows NT 6.3 build 9600] (Win64)
Package: version 1.18.1-1 built 2016-02-18

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow -auth /home/admin/.serverauth.2104

(II) xorg.conf is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
LoadPreferences: /home/admin/.XWinrc not found
LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005
winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
winScreenInit - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 3520 height: 1080 depth: 32
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
glWinSelectGLimplementation: Loaded 'cygnativeGLthunk.dll'
(II) AIGLX: Testing pixelFormatIndex 1
GL_VERSION:     3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.4229
GL_VENDOR:      Intel
GL_RENDERER:    Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_multisample and GLX_SGIS_multisample
(II) 60 pixel formats reported by wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB
(II) AIGLX: Set GLX version to 1.4
(II) 15 fbConfigs
(II) ignored pixel formats: 0 not OpenGL, 6 RBGA float, 3 RGBA unsigned float, 0 unknown pixel type, 36 unaccelerated
(II) GLX: Initialized Win32 native WGL GL provider for screen 0
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 1760 540
(--) 3 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) Windows keyboard layout: "00000407" (00000407) "German", type 4
(--) Found matching XKB configuration "German (Germany)"
(--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "de" Variant = "none" Options = "none"
Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "de" Variant = "none" Options = "none"
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - xcb_connect() returned and successfully opened the display.
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
OS maintains clipboard viewer chain: yes
winInitMultiWindowWM - xcb_connect () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
xrdb: No such file or directory
xrdb: can't open file '/home/admin/.Xresources'
/home/admin/.startxwinrc: Zeile 2: xbiff: Kommando nicht gefunden.
/home/admin/.startxwinrc: Zeile 3: oclock: Kommando nicht gefunden.
/home/admin/.startxwinrc: Zeile 4: xload: Kommando nicht gefunden.
/home/admin/.startxwinrc: Zeile 7: xconsole: Kommando nicht gefunden.
fbpanel: unknown option - -profile
fbpanel 6.1 - lightweight GTK2+ panel for UNIX desktops
Command line options:
 --help      -- print this help and exit
 --version   -- print version and exit
 --log <number> -- set log level 0-5. 0 - none 5 - chatty
 --configure -- launch configuration utility
 --profile name -- use specified profile

 -h  -- same as --help
 -p  -- same as --profile
 -v  -- same as --version
 -C  -- same as --configure

Visit http://fbpanel.sourceforge.net/ for detailed documentation,

xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT message, exiting main loop.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Fatal error 1 on xcb connection
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
---

Adding one more hyphen in front of -profile leads to two xterm windows. However, there are lots of other errors on the console. Said that, what would be an appropriate .startxwinrc or /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc for getting one (not two) xterm? Better, one uxterm?

Best,

Jaakov.

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 17:27 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-02-21 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 21/02/2016 15:38, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:

> Dear all:
> How to make xterm start automatically on XWin start? When I run XWin
> from a Windows shortcut, the X Server starts, but not an xterm. The same
> happens when I run startxwin from a cygwin terminal.
> (After the X server starts, choosing xterm from the graphical menu does
> bring up an xterm window. So, xterm is functional.)
>
> The Cygwin/X FAQ is not helpful: there is no CYGWIN environment variable
> on my system and there is no particular error message. (The system is
> completely updated as of today. Due to strong filtering of the mailing
> list, the output of cygcheck cannot be attached in my case; it can be
> sent it to a private e-mail address if asked.)
>
> Any help? Thanks in advance,
>
> Jaakov.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting

You may create a ~/.startxwinrc script to customize the client programs
started, rather than using the default /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc script.

see EXAMPLE on
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html

* XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 14:38 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-02-21 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Dear all:

How to make xterm start automatically on XWin start? When I run XWin from a Windows shortcut, the X Server starts, but not an xterm. The same happens when I run startxwin from a cygwin terminal.

(After the X server starts, choosing xterm from the graphical menu does bring up an xterm window. So, xterm is functional.)

The Cygwin/X FAQ is not helpful: there is no CYGWIN environment variable on my system and there is no particular error message. (The system is completely updated as of today. Due to strong filtering of the mailing list, the output of cygcheck cannot be attached in my case; it can be sent it to a private e-mail address if asked.)

Any help? Thanks in advance,

Jaakov.

PS. Below is the output of startxwin from a cygwin text terminal:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.18.1.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.3 dell_vostro 2.4.1(0.293/5/3) 2016-01-24 11:26 x86_64
OS: Windows 8.1  [Windows NT 6.3 build 9600] (Win64)
Package: version 1.18.1-1 built 2016-02-18

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow -auth /home/admin/.serverauth.7368