* bash completion after equals sign does not work after upgrading to bash_completion 2.1-2
@ 2016-02-24  8:41 Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex
From: Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex @ 2016-02-24  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It still works with bash_completion 1.3-1

COMP_WORDBREAKS is the default “ "'><=;|&(:” (the string within “”).

Removing everything in /etc/bash_completion.d did not help

Compared to bash_completion 1.3-1, there is almost nothing in
/etc/bash_completion.d anyway, and there is no /etc/bash_completion file
any more.

Moving away my .bashrc (that contains only 'complete -o default make'
wrt completion and that is symlinked to .bash_profile for some arcane
reason) didn’t help, either.

The only thing that worked so far (except reverting to bash_completion
1.3-1) is to use bash --norc.

Gerrit

* Re: bash completion after equals sign does not work after upgrading to bash_completion 2.1-2
@ 2016-02-24 16:50 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-24 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/24/2016 3:41 AM, Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex wrote:
> It still works with bash_completion 1.3-1
>
> COMP_WORDBREAKS is the default “ "'><=;|&(:” (the string within “”).
>
> Removing everything in /etc/bash_completion.d did not help
>
> Compared to bash_completion 1.3-1, there is almost nothing in
> /etc/bash_completion.d anyway, and there is no /etc/bash_completion file
> any more.

Right.  bash-completion now uses /usr/share/bash-completion, as you can
see from

   https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/bash-completion/bash-completion-2.1-2

> Moving away my .bashrc (that contains only 'complete -o default make'
> wrt completion and that is symlinked to .bash_profile for some arcane
> reason) didn’t help, either.
>
> The only thing that worked so far (except reverting to bash_completion
> 1.3-1) is to use bash --norc.

That's a pretty clear indication that the problem is caused by something
in your bash startup files.  And the symlink you mentioned could easily
be confusing the issue.  Have you tried reverting to the default startup
files (in /etc/defaults/etc/skel)?

[Achim, /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc has some outdated comments
referring to /etc/bash_completion.]

Ken

* Re: bash completion after equals sign does not work after upgrading to bash_completion 2.1-2
@ 2016-03-13 17:43   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-03-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> [Achim, /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc has some outdated comments
> referring to /etc/bash_completion.]

I need further discussion and preferrably a patch.  Since I don't use
bash, I don't know anything about how its completion mechanism works and
reading the man page makes me none the wiser.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: bash completion after equals sign does not work after upgrading to bash_completion 2.1-2
@ 2016-03-13 21:58     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-03-13 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/13/2016 1:42 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> [Achim, /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc has some outdated comments
>> referring to /etc/bash_completion.]
>
> I need further discussion and preferrably a patch.  Since I don't use
> bash, I don't know anything about how its completion mechanism works and
> reading the man page makes me none the wiser.

I'm not an expert on bash-completion either, but here are my thoughts on
what's in .bashrc now.  Someone who knows more should comment further.

> # Uncomment to turn on programmable completion enhancements.
> # Any completions you add in ~/.bash_completion are sourced last.
> # [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]] && . /etc/bash_completion

This is obsolete because (a) /etc/bash_completion has been replaced by
/usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion and (b) the latter is already
sourced by /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh.

> # COMP_CVS_REMOTE=1

This is probably OK.

> # COMP_CONFIGURE_HINTS=1

This is probably OK.

> # COMP_TAR_INTERNAL_PATHS=1

I don't think this will have any effect unless it's set *before*
/usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion is sourced; so it doesn't
belong in .bashrc now that /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion is