* HOME when using both cygwin and cygwin64
@ 2016-02-26  4:18 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-26  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin-ers -- I solicit suggestions around the following.
For a long time I have used cygwin (32 bit) almost exclusively,
and in that universe my home directory is /home/moss, which in
Windows land is C:\cygwin\home\moss.  Now I also have cygwin64
installed under C:\cygwin64, with another home directory there,
C:\cygwin64\home\moss.  When I start a 64-bit bash in a 64-bit
xterm, HOME gets set to /cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/moss.  Does
this seem right?  It seems counter-intuitive to me -- should
it not be /home/moss, namely C:\cygwin64\home\moss?  If that
would be better (I think so), how can I best achieve it?

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: HOME when using both cygwin and cygwin64
@ 2016-02-26  7:05 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-02-26  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eliot Moss, cygwin

Greetings, Eliot Moss!

> Dear Cygwin-ers -- I solicit suggestions around the following.
> For a long time I have used cygwin (32 bit) almost exclusively,
> and in that universe my home directory is /home/moss, which in
> Windows land is C:\cygwin\home\moss.  Now I also have cygwin64
> installed under C:\cygwin64, with another home directory there,
> C:\cygwin64\home\moss.  When I start a 64-bit bash in a 64-bit
> xterm, HOME gets set to /cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/moss.  Does
> this seem right?  It seems counter-intuitive to me -- should
> it not be /home/moss, namely C:\cygwin64\home\moss?  If that
> would be better (I think so), how can I best achieve it?

If you have %HOME% defined in Windows, Cygwin will not redefine it.
Said that, why not use %USERPROFILE% as your $HOME?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: HOME when using both cygwin and cygwin64
@ 2016-02-26  8:21 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-02-26  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26/02/2016 05:18, Eliot Moss wrote:
> Dear Cygwin-ers -- I solicit suggestions around the following.
> For a long time I have used cygwin (32 bit) almost exclusively,
> and in that universe my home directory is /home/moss, which in
> Windows land is C:\cygwin\home\moss.  Now I also have cygwin64
> installed under C:\cygwin64, with another home directory there,
> C:\cygwin64\home\moss.  When I start a 64-bit bash in a 64-bit
> xterm, HOME gets set to /cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/moss.  Does
> this seem right?  It seems counter-intuitive to me -- should
> it not be /home/moss, namely C:\cygwin64\home\moss?  If that
> would be better (I think so), how can I best achieve it?
>
> Regards -- Eliot Moss

Hi Elliot,
The default is /home/$USERNAME
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-passwdinfo

If it is different you modified it in some way

* Re: HOME when using both cygwin and cygwin64
@ 2016-02-26 12:33   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/26/2016 3:21 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 26/02/2016 05:18, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> Dear Cygwin-ers -- I solicit suggestions around the following.
>> For a long time I have used cygwin (32 bit) almost exclusively,
>> and in that universe my home directory is /home/moss, which in
>> Windows land is C:\cygwin\home\moss.  Now I also have cygwin64
>> installed under C:\cygwin64, with another home directory there,
>> C:\cygwin64\home\moss.  When I start a 64-bit bash in a 64-bit
>> xterm, HOME gets set to /cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/moss.  Does
>> this seem right?  It seems counter-intuitive to me -- should
>> it not be /home/moss, namely C:\cygwin64\home\moss?  If that
>> would be better (I think so), how can I best achieve it?
>>
>> Regards -- Eliot Moss
>>

> The default is /home/$USERNAME
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-passwdinfo
>
> If it is different you modified it in some way

Indeed, you are right.  If I start cygwin64 from its installed .bat
file, I get a Cygwin terminal with HOME as /home/moss, under the
C:\cygwin64 Cygwin root.  So it is something about starting using
my (32 bit) .XWinrc.  Presumably the 32-bit HOME is being passed
as an environment variable.  The trick will be to get it unset
so that the 64-bit bash uses its own /home/moss.  I think I'll
have to play with the .XWinrc more to figure that out.

Regards -- EM