* passwd -R?
@ 2016-03-10 20:57 Alex P
From: Alex P @ 2016-03-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello All!

How do I check that "passwd -R" worked correctly?
I get error messages in Event Viewer when I run it as user (vs "As
Administrator").

Regards,
   Alex P.

* Re: passwd -R?
@ 2016-03-10 23:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-03-10 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex P, cygwin

Greetings, Alex P!

> How do I check that "passwd -R" worked correctly?
> I get error messages in Event Viewer when I run it as user (vs "As
> Administrator").

You must use it with elevated privileges. Else it wouldn't work at all.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: passwd -R?
@ 2016-03-11  0:11   ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-03-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Alex P

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Alex P!
>
>> How do I check that "passwd -R" worked correctly?
>> I get error messages in Event Viewer when I run it as user (vs "As
>> Administrator").
>
> You must use it with elevated privileges. Else it wouldn't work at all.

From https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/passwd.html

"If normal, non-admin users should be allowed to enter their passwords
using passwd -R, it's required to run cygserver as a service under the
LocalSystem account before running passwd -R. This only affects
storing passwords. Using passwords in privileged processes does not
require cygserver to run."

So without the cygserver running, 'passwd -R' is expected to fail
unless it is running in a privileged shell; if you want it to work
without a privileged shell, you have to have the cygserver running as
a service under the LocalSystem account.

-- Erik

* Re: passwd -R?
@ 2016-03-11 13:47     ` Alex P
From: Alex P @ 2016-03-11 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Soderquist, cygwin

I do have cygserver running as "Local System".

My original issue is that cron stopped working after domain user
password reset. Stopped as - it worked fine before.

My first stop was to reset password with "passwd -R", but it did not
fix my cron problem - not running as user (member of local
Administrators group - getting error in Event Viewer), not elevated
("As Administrator").

I suspect some security policies were modified (machine is part of
domain), but I don't know what to check.

Thanks for weighing in.
   AlexP.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Erik Soderquist
<ErikSoderquist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:
>> Greetings, Alex P!
>>
>>> How do I check that "passwd -R" worked correctly?
>>> I get error messages in Event Viewer when I run it as user (vs "As
>>> Administrator").
>>
>> You must use it with elevated privileges. Else it wouldn't work at all.
>
> From https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/passwd.html
>
> "If normal, non-admin users should be allowed to enter their passwords
> using passwd -R, it's required to run cygserver as a service under the
> LocalSystem account before running passwd -R. This only affects
> storing passwords. Using passwords in privileged processes does not
> require cygserver to run."
>
> So without the cygserver running, 'passwd -R' is expected to fail
> unless it is running in a privileged shell; if you want it to work
> without a privileged shell, you have to have the cygserver running as
> a service under the LocalSystem account.
>
> -- Erik

* Re: passwd -R?
@ 2016-03-11 13:53       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-03-11 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/03/2016 14:47, Alex P wrote:
> I do have cygserver running as "Local System".
>
> My original issue is that cron stopped working after domain user
> password reset. Stopped as - it worked fine before.
>
> My first stop was to reset password with "passwd -R", but it did not
> fix my cron problem - not running as user (member of local
> Administrators group - getting error in Event Viewer), not elevated
> ("As Administrator").
>
> I suspect some security policies were modified (machine is part of
> domain), but I don't know what to check.
>
> Thanks for weighing in.
>     AlexP.

look editrights settings inside
/usr/share/csih/cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh

Regards
Marco