* Re: postgresql - How do I upgrade Postgres database in Cygwin? - Server Fault
       [not found] <5702BCFD.6000103@oliveyou.net>
@ 2016-04-04 19:47 ` Chloe
From: Chloe @ 2016-04-04 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

OK now I really need help. I tried to install version 9.4.4-2 of
Postgres with
ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2015/09/25/151012/index.html,
but now it won't start. I also tried to install 9.4.4-1 but that won't
work either. I also tried to exit all Cygwin processes and run 'dash'
and 'rebaseall', but it didn't help. How do I install an old version of
Postgres 9.4 to upgrade to 9.5?

$ /usr/sbin/postgres --version
postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.4.4

$ /usr/sbin/postgres
FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=40, 03600).

$ /setup-x86 -X -q -P postgresql-9.4.4-1
note: Hand installation over to elevated child process.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36411485/how-do-i-install-postgres-9-4-on-cygwin

@ 2016-04-04 19:49 ` Chloe
From: Chloe @ 2016-04-04 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-04-04 20:02   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-04-04 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/04/2016 21:46, Chloe wrote:
> OK now I really need help. I tried to install version 9.4.4-2 of
> Postgres with
> ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2015/09/25/151012/index.html,
> but now it won't start. I also tried to install 9.4.4-1 but that won't
> work either. I also tried to exit all Cygwin processes and run 'dash'
> and 'rebaseall', but it didn't help. How do I install an old version of
> Postgres 9.4 to upgrade to 9.5?
>
> $ /usr/sbin/postgres --version
> postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.4.4
>
> $ /usr/sbin/postgres
> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=40, 03600).

have you configured cygserver as service and run it ?

The shared memory capability depends on cygserver.
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html

Regards
Marco

* Re: postgresql - How do I upgrade Postgres database in Cygwin? - Server Fault
@ 2016-04-04 20:04     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-04-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 4, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/04/2016 21:46, Chloe wrote:
>>
>> $ /usr/sbin/postgres
>> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
>> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=40, 03600).
>
> The shared memory capability depends on cygserver.
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html

Also: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-api/std-notes.html

* Re: postgresql - How do I upgrade Postgres database in Cygwin? - Server Fault
@ 2016-04-04 20:43   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-04-04 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/04/2016 21:49, Chloe wrote:
> Can you please change the Postgres packages to use postgres94,
> postgres95, postgres96, etc. names? Each version is incompatible with
> the previous. This will allow installing Postgres in separate binary
> directories to enable upgrades. Alternatively, please increase the
> 'previous version' history to allow installing old versions. Setup only
> has 1 previous version, and if the current version is 9.5.2 and the
> previous version is 9.5.1, then there is no way (or very difficult) to
> install 9.4!

Hi Chloe,

setup can only manage 1 previous version anyway.

postgres94, postgres95, postgres96 solution will force me to maintain
multiple versions, and I have not the bandwith to manage that.

> http://serverfault.com/questions/532379/how-do-i-upgrade-postgres-database-in-cygwin

I uploaded again the 9.4.5 previous version at
   http://matzeri.altervista.org/

You can use that for downgrade your installation.

Regards
Marco

PS: I suggest you to subscribe
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/
(from https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin/lists.html )

so that future upgrade won't catch you by surprise anymore.