* strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-07  7:27 Simon Bradley
From: Simon Bradley @ 2016-04-07  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I have just noticed that the program 'ls' has started to put quotes around some entries in the listing when I use it
That are not really present around the actual files / directories.

This is hugely annoying and I do not want this behaviour. I much prefer to have ls perform as expected.

This MUST be a bug as it interferes with my other scripts which now do not work correctly.

Can you please remove this behaviour?

Thanks,
Simon.

---

* Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-07  8:46 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-04-07  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Simon Bradley <simon-bradley <at> talktalk.net> writes:
> I have just noticed that the program 'ls' has started to put quotes around
> some entries in the listing when I use it
> That are not really present around the actual files / directories.
>
> This is hugely annoying and I do not want this behaviour. I much prefer
> to have ls perform as expected.

See the documentation for ls, in particular the -N, -b and --quote-style
options as well as the environment variable QUOTING_STYLE and any aliases
you might have defined when invoking ls.

> This MUST be a bug as it interferes with my other scripts which
> now do not work correctly.

You might want to check if it's not your scripts that are buggy.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-07 11:12 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2016-04-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I have just noticed that the program 'ls' has started to put quotes around some entries in the listing when I use it
> That are not really present around the actual files / directories.

The default quoting style in ls recently changed upstream, and then made its way
into Cygwin.  See https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-03/msg00082.html.

* Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-08  9:50   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07.04.2016 13:11, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> I have just noticed that the program 'ls' has started to put quotes around some entries in the listing when I use it
>> That are not really present around the actual files / directories.
> The default quoting style in ls recently changed upstream, and then made its way
> into Cygwin.  See https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-03/msg00082.html.
Like for grep which now barfs out when a character isn’t recognized in
the current encoding (and grep doesn’t even provide an environment variable
to override this mis-feature), these assumedly-modern upstream changes
are a nuisance.

For ls at least, it can be fixed with the environment variable
QUOTING_STYLE but that isn’t even mentioned in the manual page!%§↯
– Poor old Unix tradition fades away.

What about adding
export QUOTING_STYLE=literal
to /etc/profile as a fix?

Thomas

* Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-08 18:52     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-04-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff writes:
> Like for grep which now barfs out when a character isn’t recognized in
> the current encoding (and grep doesn’t even provide an environment
> variable to override this mis-feature), these assumedly-modern
> upstream changes are a nuisance.

You are barking up the wrng tree, please take that upstream.

> For ls at least, it can be fixed with the environment variable
> QUOTING_STYLE but that isn’t even mentioned in the manual page!%§↯
> – Poor old Unix tradition fades away.
>
> What about adding
> export QUOTING_STYLE=literal
> to /etc/profile as a fix?

No, but you're free to do whatever you wish in /etc/profile.d (or lobby
the coreutils maintiner to provide it with the package, although I'd
suggest that it shouldn't get installed by default).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-08 20:36       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2016-04-08 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/08/2016 12:52 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> Like for grep which now barfs out when a character isn’t recognized in
>> the current encoding (and grep doesn’t even provide an environment
>> variable to override this mis-feature), these assumedly-modern
>> upstream changes are a nuisance.
>
> You are barking up the wrng tree, please take that upstream.
>
>> For ls at least, it can be fixed with the environment variable
>> QUOTING_STYLE but that isn’t even mentioned in the manual page!%§↯
>> – Poor old Unix tradition fades away.
>>
>> What about adding
>> export QUOTING_STYLE=literal
>> to /etc/profile as a fix?
>
> No, but you're free to do whatever you wish in /etc/profile.d (or lobby
> the coreutils maintiner to provide it with the package, although I'd
> suggest that it shouldn't get installed by default).

If upstream makes it easy to install such an example profile, I'll
likewise make it easy to install in cygwin. Otherwise, I don't see any
reason to go out of my way to make cygwin diverge from upstream.

* Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'
@ 2016-04-08 21:22       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-08 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.04.2016 um 20:52 schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> Like for grep which now barfs out when a character isn’t recognized in
>> the current encoding (and grep doesn’t even provide an environment
>> variable to override this mis-feature), these assumedly-modern
>> upstream changes are a nuisance.
> You are barking up the wrng tree, please take that upstream.
I was just discussing some background, pointing out this is an upstream
nuisance.

>> For ls at least, it can be fixed with the environment variable
>> QUOTING_STYLE but that isn’t even mentioned in the manual page!%§↯
>> – Poor old Unix tradition fades away.
>>
>> What about adding
>> export QUOTING_STYLE=literal
>> to /etc/profile as a fix?
> No, but you're free to do whatever you wish in /etc/profile.d (or lobby
> the coreutils maintiner to provide it with the package, although I'd
> suggest that it shouldn't get installed by default).
I wouldn't ask the maintainer for a change with such an impact without
discussing it in the community first, of course everybody can set up
their own environment anyway.
Cheers
Thomas