* pick or semilar
@ 2016-08-17 18:35 Morten Kjærulff
From: Morten Kjærulff @ 2016-08-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Is there a tool like "pick"
https://github.com/thoughtbot/pick

in cygwin?

/Morten

* Re: pick or semilar
@ 2016-08-17 22:09 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-08-17 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/17/2016 10:25 AM, Morten Kjærulff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a tool like "pick"
> https://github.com/thoughtbot/pick
>
> in cygwin?

Using the setup tool, there is no package of that name among the
cygwin packages, and not among cygports packages either (to
see those, use a cygports URL with the cygwin setup program,
such as ftp://ftp.cygwinports.org/pub/cygwinports/).

However, a great many such packages are relative easy to
build under cygwin if you have enough build tools installed
(things like gcc, make, autoconf, etc.).

If it's a package you like, you could learn the cygwin
packaging technology and become the package maintainer!

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: pick or semilar
@ 2016-08-26 22:59 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2016-08-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17/08/2016 15:25, Morten Kjærulff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a tool like "pick"
> https://github.com/thoughtbot/pick
>
> in cygwin?
I've just taken a brief look at that GitHub page, and it looks to be at
least vaguely similar to fzf, which is included with Cygwin. You might
want to take a look at that and see if it meets your needs.

(For those paying attention: fzf hasn't had an update in a while because
Cygwin's fzf package uses the Ruby version of the tool, which has been
deprecated upstream in favour of a version written in Go. Cygwin doesn't
have a Go compiler, so I'm in the process of forking the Ruby version to
fully maintain it myself, but that project has been on hold for a while
for reasons of my own health.)

* Re: pick or semilar
@ 2016-08-26 23:00   ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2016-08-26 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26 August 2016 at 15:46, Adam Dinwoodie  wrote:
> On 17/08/2016 15:25, Morten Kjærulff wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a tool like "pick"
>> https://github.com/thoughtbot/pick
>>
>> in cygwin?
>
> I've just taken a brief look at that GitHub page, and it looks to be at
> least vaguely similar to fzf, which is included with Cygwin. You might want
> to take a look at that and see if it meets your needs.

Have you considered the bash select command? The following command
takes you to the documentation

info bash select

for example:

select fname in *.txt ;
do
    echo you picked No. ${REPLY}: ${fname} ;
    break ;
done

HTH

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

* Re: pick or semilar
@ 2016-09-01 22:54     ` Duncan Roe
From: Duncan Roe @ 2016-09-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 04:28:07PM -0600, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On 26 August 2016 at 15:46, Adam Dinwoodie  wrote:
> > On 17/08/2016 15:25, Morten Kjærulff wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there a tool like "pick"
> >> https://github.com/thoughtbot/pick
> >>
> >> in cygwin?
> >
> > I've just taken a brief look at that GitHub page, and it looks to be at
> > least vaguely similar to fzf, which is included with Cygwin. You might want
> > to take a look at that and see if it meets your needs.
>
> Have you considered the bash select command? The following command
> takes you to the documentation
>
> info bash select
>
> for example:
>
> select fname in *.txt ;
> do
>     echo you picked No. ${REPLY}: ${fname} ;
>     break ;
> done
>

> HTH
>
> Doug

For quick documentation of bash select, you can simply enter

help select

at the bash / mintty prompt. Bash has help for most builtins actually,

Cheers ... Duncan.