* Unable to download Cygwin from dedicated server
@ 2017-07-10 16:21 Simon Choucroun
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Choucroun @ 2017-07-10 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi guys,

We are renting a dedicated server at OVH Canada. For some reason, we get a 403 forbidden when trying to either download or visit Cygwin.com from the dedicated server. Can someone please take a look at this? The IP is 192.99.6.12

Thanks

Simon C

* Re: Unable to download Cygwin from dedicated server
@ 2017-07-10 18:15 ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2017-07-10 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Simon Choucroun wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We are renting a dedicated server at OVH Canada. For some reason, we get a 403 forbidden when trying to either download or visit Cygwin.com from the dedicated server. Can someone please take a look at this? The IP is 192.99.6.12

I would start with a Wireshark trace from the dedicated server to see
where it is actually going...

so far all of the past similar issues that I'm aware of have traced to
something on the requester's side blocking before it reaches cygwin's
servers.

-- Erik

* Re: Unable to download Cygwin from dedicated server
@ 2017-07-10 18:24 ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2017-07-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/07/17 17:21, Simon Choucroun wrote:
> We are renting a dedicated server at OVH Canada. For some reason, we get a 403 forbidden when trying to either download or visit Cygwin.com from the dedicated server. Can someone please take a look at this? The IP is 192.99.6.12

This seems rather similar to [1] and re-reading that thread, I don't
think we heard a resolution of the issue on this list.

Same advice applies though. I'd start by trying a different DNS server
if you're able.

Dave.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00253.html

* Re: Unable to download Cygwin from dedicated server
@ 2017-07-11  2:03 ` Brian Inglis
       [not found]   ` <13814D94-F5C8-4162-B46A-77E6D0C3BE98@whc.ca>
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-11  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-10 10:21, Simon Choucroun wrote:
> We are renting a dedicated server at OVH Canada. For some reason, we get a
> 403 forbidden when trying to either download or visit Cygwin.com from the
> dedicated server. Can someone please take a look at this? The IP is 192.99.6.12

First rule of server config is no internet access.
First rule of server network config is block everything.
Everything else often has to be explicitly set up with holes poked in firewalls.
You may have to route connections over a tunnel to your own network then outward.
Contact your vendor for support.

@ 2017-07-11  3:26     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-11  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-10 20:22, Simon Choucroun wrote:
> On 2017-07-10, 22:03, "Brian Inglis" wrote:
>> On 2017-07-10 10:21, Simon Choucroun wrote:
>>> We are renting a dedicated server at OVH Canada. For some reason, we get a
>>> 403 forbidden when trying to either download or visit Cygwin.com from the
>>> dedicated server. Can someone please take a look at this? The IP is 192.99.6.12

Do you have the root CA server certs installed on your server, and are you
downloading using products which support those certs and HSTS?

> Networking is fine, no firewall on our end. I am getting a clear 403
> forbidden from apache Cygwin.com server on the dedicated server. Works from
> my PC so i am assuming you are either blocking this IP or the whole range.

I am sure there are firewalls between your server, the rest of the datacentre,
and the internet, for the vendor's protection, if not yours.

There are few files you may download directly from https://cygwin.com e.g.
setup-x86{,_64}.exe and detached .sig files. Try those first.
For the packages, you must go to a Cygwin public mirror site.
Can you download packages from public Cygwin mirrors?

If everything else works okay, you can try to contact Cygwin site operations
sourcemaster [at] sourceware [dot] org to see if, and reasons why, they may be
blocking your server from accessing https://cygwin.com.
You may want to get your vendor to contact them to resolve any issues.