* Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-05 19:53 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-02-05 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text, Size: 1008 bytes --]

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-05 20:12 ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2017-02-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 1:53 PM, Steven Penny <svnpenn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This issue has bothered me for some time, but I never got around to reporting
> it. The issue is that the Cygwin buffer via Cygwin.bat is always 1 less than
> what is set.
>
> For example, the default buffer is 80 columns, same as the window size. Cygwin
> window size is correct, but that last column can never be accessed, it always
> stays blank and the text wraps on column 79. Here is a test:
>
> 1. Enter spaces until you reach next line, this way the prompt is not adding to
>   our count
>
> 2. Enter:
> 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
>
> Now with cmd.exe, you get all 80 characters on the same line, but with Cygwin it
> always wraps 1 character before. I don’t remember this always being the case, I
> believe it used to work correct 1-2 years ago.

I'm on Win7 64-bit with 64-bit Cygwin 2.6.0(0.304/5/3).

To clarify, the above occurs with bash 4.3.46(7) in a Windows console, and I see the behavior there as well.
This does not happen with the same bash in mintty 2.7, so it appears to be specific to the combination of bash and the Windows console.

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-05 20:59   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-02-05 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text, Size: 414 bytes --]

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-06 17:43     ` Lee Dilkie
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Lee Dilkie @ 2017-02-06 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/5/2017 3:59 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 14:12:04, Vince Rice wrote:
>>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 1:53 PM, Steven Penny <snip> wrote:
>
> Please fix your email client. You should not be quoting people’s email directly.

that's just silly. Anyone with access to this public list has your email address when you posted.

The guy was just trying to help you with your issue, and you come across as a dork.

-lee

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-06 17:55       ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2017-02-06 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 11:43 AM, Lee Dilkie wrote:

>> Please fix your email client. You should not be quoting people’s email directly.
>>

> that's just silly. Anyone with access to this public list has your email address when you posted.
>
> The guy was just trying to help you with your issue, and you come across as a dork.

The rules on this list are to not quote email addresses, I just missed it when I posted.
Anyone subscribed to the list may have it, but we don't want them the archives for a bot to go through and harvest.
Which may or may not affect your opinion…

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-06 17:55       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-02-06 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/02/2017 18:43, Lee Dilkie wrote:

>> Please fix your email client. You should not be quoting people’s email
>> directly.
>>

> that's just silly. Anyone with access to this public list has your email
> address when you posted.
>
> The guy was just trying to help you with your issue, and you come across
> as a dork.
>
> -lee

the problem is that  email address in clear will be reported on the
web archive and  will be easy accessible to spam bot looking
for email address.

It is specifically mentioned on:
https://cygwin.com/lists.html

see as example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090917075216/http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

Regards
Marco

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 11:38         ` David Balažic
From: David Balažic @ 2017-02-07 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6 February 2017 at 18:54, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> the problem is that  email address in clear will be reported on the
> web archive and  will be easy accessible to spam bot looking
> for email address.
>
> It is specifically mentioned on:
> https://cygwin.com/lists.html

That would be even better if it listed ways to to that (configuring MUAs).
For example I use gmail and googled for "configure gmail to not quote
email address (in replies)" but got nothing useful.

Regards,
David

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 14:11       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-02-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/6/2017 12:43 PM, Lee Dilkie wrote:

>> Please fix your email client. You should not be quoting people’s email
>> directly.
>>

> that's just silly. Anyone with access to this public list has your email
> address when you posted.
>
> The guy was just trying to help you with your issue, and you come across
> as a dork.

Lee, this and many such lists expects the etiquette that Steven has
requested of Vince.  Elide the email address of the quoted person.  Many
clients offers to do this for you automatically, if you can't with yours
you should find one that does.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 14:14           ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-02-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/7/2017 6:38 AM, David Balažic wrote:
> On 6 February 2017 at 18:54, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>
>> the problem is that  email address in clear will be reported on the
>> web archive and  will be easy accessible to spam bot looking
>> for email address.
>>
>> It is specifically mentioned on:
>> https://cygwin.com/lists.html
>
> That would be even better if it listed ways to to that (configuring MUAs).
> For example I use gmail and googled for "configure gmail to not quote
> email address (in replies)" but got nothing useful.

You then need to remember to do it manually.  I have a gmail account but
use Thunderbird to respond to this list and other lists which does the
job of eliding the email address.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 14:23         ` Lee Dilkie
From: Lee Dilkie @ 2017-02-07 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/7/2017 9:11 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 2/6/2017 12:43 PM, Lee Dilkie wrote:

>>> Please fix your email client. You should not be quoting people’s email
>>> directly.
>>>

>> that's just silly. Anyone with access to this public list has your email
>> address when you posted.
>>
>> The guy was just trying to help you with your issue, and you come across
>> as a dork.
>>

> Lee, this and many such lists expects the etiquette that Steven has
> requested of Vince.  Elide the email address of the quoted person.  Many
> clients offers to do this for you automatically, if you can't with yours
> you should find one that does.

Cyg, I understand list etiquette but I'm referring to *human* etiquette. Steve asked for help, got help but rather than acknowledge it (and add a note at the bottom to *politely* tell Vince that he should find a way to sanitize email addresses out of his replies), he just jumps aggressively on the quoting issue (and confused things in the process because he, I assume, meant to say "email addresses" instead of "email directly", which doesn't parse well in english).

So I stand by my observation, Steve acted like a dork here.

-lee

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 14:40           ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-02-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/7/2017 9:23 AM, Lee Dilkie wrote:

> Cyg, I understand list etiquette but I'm referring to *human* etiquette.
> Steve asked for help, got help but rather than acknowledge it (and add a
> note at the bottom to *politely* tell Vince that he should find a way to
> sanitize email addresses out of his replies), he just jumps aggressively
> on the quoting issue (and confused things in the process because he, I
> assume, meant to say "email addresses" instead of "email directly",
> which doesn't parse well in english).
>
> So I stand by my observation, Steve acted like a dork here.

Such name calling isn't taken well regardless of where it is used.
Please refrain from expressing such personal beliefs about anyone or
anything to this and any other list you may subscribe to.  The English
language is an ever evolving and fluid language and often a redefinition
occurs due to the human nature of being lazy.  I completely understood
Steven meant "email addresses" with his shortened form to "email" and
would even use it the way Steven did myself.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 15:35           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-02-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Balažic, cygwin

Greetings, David Balažic!

> On 6 February 2017 at 18:54, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>
>> the problem is that  email address in clear will be reported on the
>> web archive and  will be easy accessible to spam bot looking
>> for email address.
>>
>> It is specifically mentioned on:
>> https://cygwin.com/lists.html

> That would be even better if it listed ways to to that (configuring MUAs).
> For example I use gmail

The solution is simple: don't use gmail web client.
Use normal mail client. It will both help this and normal message threading.

> and googled for "configure gmail to not quote
> email address (in replies)" but got nothing useful.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 18:44             ` Lee Dilkie
From: Lee Dilkie @ 2017-02-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/7/2017 9:40 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 2/7/2017 9:23 AM, Lee Dilkie wrote:
>>
>> Cyg, I understand list etiquette but I'm referring to *human* etiquette.
>> Steve asked for help, got help but rather than acknowledge it (and add a
>> note at the bottom to *politely* tell Vince that he should find a way to
>> sanitize email addresses out of his replies), he just jumps aggressively
>> on the quoting issue (and confused things in the process because he, I
>> assume, meant to say "email addresses" instead of "email directly",
>> which doesn't parse well in english).
>>
>> So I stand by my observation, Steve acted like a dork here.
>>

> Such name calling isn't taken well regardless of where it is used.
> Please refrain from expressing such personal beliefs about anyone or
> anything to this and any other list you may subscribe to.  The English
> language is an ever evolving and fluid language and often a redefinition
> occurs due to the human nature of being lazy.  I completely understood
> Steven meant "email addresses" with his shortened form to "email" and
> would even use it the way Steven did myself.

Indeed, English is an ever evolving language and I never called Steve any names at all. The language can be very precise as well.

You may well have understood what he meant, but those of us who have only been speaking the language for 55 years, myself, didn't. I was quite confused by what he meant and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. Normally I wouldn't have bothered but I was really curious as to what prompted his vitriolic (in my opinion) response.

-lee

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-02-07 19:19               ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-02-07 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 13:44:07, Lee Dilkie wrote:
> You may well have understood what he meant, but those of us who have only been
> speaking the language for 55 years, myself, didn't. I was quite confused by
> what he meant and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. Normally I
> wouldn't have bothered but I was really curious as to what prompted his
> vitriolic (in my opinion) response.

Lee, thanks for you now 3 off topic replies. However, instead of hurling insults
at me:

> The guy was just trying to help you with your issue, and you come across as=
>  a dork.

Maybe you ought to take a minute and realize that you are wrong:

> Please do not feed the spammers by including raw email addresses in the body
> of your message.

http://cygwin.com/lists.html#notes

Instead of digging in deeper. My request was simple, and backed my the list
rules. Perhaps a better use of your time would be to fix your own client, which
doesn’t even wrap lines properly:

Good day.

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2017-04-24  7:34   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-04-24  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 14:12:04, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 11:53:16, Steven Penny wrote:
>> This issue has bothered me for some time, but I never got around to reporting
>> it. The issue is that the Cygwin buffer via Cygwin.bat is always 1 less than
>> what is set.

>> For example, the default buffer is 80 columns, same as the window size.
>> Cygwin window size is correct, but that last column can never be accessed, it
>> always stays blank and the text wraps on column 79. Here is a test:

>> 1. Enter spaces until you reach next line, this way the prompt is not adding
>> to our count

>> 2. Enter:
>> 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

>> Now with cmd.exe, you get all 80 characters on the same line, but with Cygwin
>> it always wraps 1 character before. I don’t remember this always being the
>> case, I believe it used to work correct 1-2 years ago.

> I'm on Win7 64-bit with 64-bit Cygwin 2.6.0(0.304/5/3). To clarify, the above
> occurs with bash 4.3.46(7) in a Windows console, and I see the behavior there
> as well. This does not happen with the same bash in mintty 2.7, so it appears
> to be specific to the combination of bash and the Windows console.

I found a fix to this problem. Create a file "cygwin-xenl.terminfo":

    cygwin-xenl|cygwin eat_newline_glitch,
      xenl,
      use=cygwin,

Compile and install the file:

    tic cygwin-xenl.terminfo

Add line to "~/.profile" or similar:

    TERM=cygwin-xenl

Interestingly, if you start via the shortcut (mintty), a different terminal is
used; one that already has xenl turned on:

    $ echo $TERM
    xterm

    $ infocmp xterm | grep xenl
    am, bce, km, mc5i, mir, msgr, npc, xenl,

Running Cygwin.bat with xterm is not a solution though, because xterm uses
different values for the key codes.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/terminfo.5.html

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2018-01-01  6:50     ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-01-01  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:09:10, Steven Penny wrote:
> I found a fix to this problem. Create a file "cygwin-xenl.terminfo":
>
>     cygwin-xenl|cygwin eat_newline_glitch,
>       xenl,
>       use=cygwin,
>
> Compile and install the file:
>
>     tic cygwin-xenl.terminfo
>
> Add line to "~/.profile" or similar:
>
>     TERM=cygwin-xenl

to any who might have used this solution - i discovered a bad side effect

when searching man pages, if you use the "/" operator - the first matching line
is removed, and you are brought to the following line - then if you try to
scroll up - the previous lines are there but not the matching line

subsequent matching lines are shown as expected - this is for my custom terminal
above and any terminal using "xenl" - not sure what a workaround for this is
other than dont use "xenl" and deal with the missing column per the original
issue.

* Re: Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting
@ 2018-01-01 22:25       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-01-01 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 22:50:18, Steven Penny wrote:
> any terminal using "xenl" - not sure what a workaround for this is other than
> dont use "xenl" and deal with the missing column per the original issue.

The problem is with how readline processes input [1], as you can:

    echo <some long string>

and it will use the full 80 columns, it is only if you are pasting that the
problem crops up. A workaround is to use 2 terminals, one for readline and one
for less (man). For the readline terminal, you need one that has "xenl".
"screen.Eterm" (case sensitive) is pretty close to the default "cygwin", or can
make your own per my previous post [2]. For the less terminal, you can just use
the default "cygwin" terminal or a custom terminal. To implement, add this to
"~/.profile" or similar:

    TERM=screen.Eterm
    export PAGER='env TERM=cygwin less'

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/a/31360700