* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2
@ 2017-07-13 14:37 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2017-07-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Version 2.13.2-2 of Git has been uploaded and should be coming soon to a
mirror near you. This update includes the following packages:

- git
- git-cvs
- git-debuginfo
- git-email
- git-gui
- gitk
- git-p4
- git-svn

This update splits Git's support for Perforce repositories into a new
package -- git-p4 -- and thus removes the dependency of the base git
package on Python.

As of this version, if you use the `git p4` commands, you will need to
install the git-p4 package; this will not happen automatically.  If you
do not use the `git p4` commands and previously only had the python2
package installed because of git's dependency on it, you can now safely
uninstall it.

Thanks to Yaakov for providing the patch for this.

Enjoy!

Adam

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2
@ 2017-07-14  2:28 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-07-14  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:58:37, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> This update splits Git's support for Perforce repositories into a new
> package -- git-p4 -- and thus removes the dependency of the base git
> package on Python.

This is great news, must thanks. Only a 2 issues:

1. This can now be closed:

   http://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/issues/26

2. Perl issue is still open:

   http://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/issues/31

   Currently only these files rely on it:

        usr/libexec/git-core/git-add--interactive
        usr/libexec/git-core/git-archimport

* Removing Git dependency on Perl [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2]
@ 2017-07-21 10:18   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2017-07-21 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 07:28:05PM -0700, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:58:37, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> >This update splits Git's support for Perforce repositories into a new
> >package -- git-p4 -- and thus removes the dependency of the base git
> >package on Python.
>
> This is great news, must thanks. Only a 2 issues:
>
> 1. This can now be closed:
>
>   http://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/issues/26

Done, thanks for the reminder.

> 2. Perl issue is still open:
>
>   http://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/issues/31
>
>   Currently only these files rely on it:
>
>        usr/libexec/git-core/git-add--interactive
>        usr/libexec/git-core/git-archimport

Hmm.  I'm struggling to work out what's appropriate here.  I'd be
entirely happy splitting off the `git archimport` command to a separate
package if there were something to gain there, but I'm very wary of
splitting `git add -p` and friends off: I think that's liable to cause
considerable confusion for people who use those commands and who would
probably not expect to need a separate package for them.

I'm experimenting with what this would look like now, but if you can
find and point me at some other platform's Git distribution that also
separates out `git-add--interactive`, so I can see how they've handled
this situation, that would potentially be very useful.

Adam

* Re: Removing Git dependency on Perl [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2]
@ 2017-07-21 12:01     ` James Darnley
From: James Darnley @ 2017-07-21 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-21 12:11, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> 2. Perl issue is still open:
>>
>>   http://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/issues/31
>>
>>   Currently only these files rely on it:
>>
>>        usr/libexec/git-core/git-add--interactive
>>        usr/libexec/git-core/git-archimport
>
> Hmm.  I'm struggling to work out what's appropriate here.  I'd be
> entirely happy splitting off the `git archimport` command to a separate
> package if there were something to gain there, but I'm very wary of
> splitting `git add -p` and friends off: I think that's liable to cause
> considerable confusion for people who use those commands and who would
> probably not expect to need a separate package for them.
>
> I'm experimenting with what this would look like now, but if you can
> find and point me at some other platform's Git distribution that also
> separates out `git-add--interactive`, so I can see how they've handled
> this situation, that would potentially be very useful.

The feature I use most often isn't a core feature of git-add?

If you do split it off, which I would be strongly against, might I
suggest "git-add-interactive"?

* Re: Removing Git dependency on Perl [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2]
@ 2017-07-21 12:20     ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-07-21 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:11:41, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Hmm.  I'm struggling to work out what's appropriate here.  I'd be
> entirely happy splitting off the `git archimport` command to a separate
> package if there were something to gain there, but I'm very wary of
> splitting `git add -p` and friends off: I think that's liable to cause
> considerable confusion for people who use those commands and who would
> probably not expect to need a separate package for them.
>
> I'm experimenting with what this would look like now, but if you can
> find and point me at some other platform's Git distribution that also
> separates out `git-add--interactive`, so I can see how they've handled
> this situation, that would potentially be very useful.

Good points. We might need to just leave it alone for the time being:

1. One person has already spoken up in this thread against it:

2. Debian Git still requires it:

   http://packages.debian.org/experimental/git

3. git-add--interactive.perl is still being worked on, 14 commits this year:

   http://github.com/git/git/commits/master/git-add--interactive.perl

So until they rewrite it in C, we might need to just keep things the way they
are. I dont use it with my workflow, so its a shame to pull in Perl for a single
file that I do not use, but I get the arguments against.

* Re: Removing Git dependency on Perl [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2]
@ 2017-07-21 14:28       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-07-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/21/2017 8:01 AM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:11:41, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> Hmm.  I'm struggling to work out what's appropriate here.  I'd be
>> entirely happy splitting off the `git archimport` command to a separate
>> package if there were something to gain there, but I'm very wary of
>> splitting `git add -p` and friends off: I think that's liable to cause
>> considerable confusion for people who use those commands and who would
>> probably not expect to need a separate package for them.
>>
>> I'm experimenting with what this would look like now, but if you can
>> find and point me at some other platform's Git distribution that also
>> separates out `git-add--interactive`, so I can see how they've handled
>> this situation, that would potentially be very useful.
>
> Good points. We might need to just leave it alone for the time being:
>
> 1. One person has already spoken up in this thread against it:
>
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-07/msg00287.html
>
> 2. Debian Git still requires it:
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/experimental/git
>
> 3. git-add--interactive.perl is still being worked on, 14 commits this
> year:
>
>   http://github.com/git/git/commits/master/git-add--interactive.perl
>
> So until they rewrite it in C, we might need to just keep things the way
> they
> are. I dont use it with my workflow, so its a shame to pull in Perl for
> a single
> file that I do not use, but I get the arguments against.

Perl is a requirement for development work using autoconf and friends
anyway so is it that much of a struggle to require it for git?

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Removing Git dependency on Perl [Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Git v2.13.2-2]
@ 2017-07-21 20:02         ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-07-21 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 08:58:14, cyg Simple wrote:
> Perl is a requirement for development work using autoconf and friends
> anyway so is it that much of a struggle to require it for git?

Good point too, but note that Cmake does not require Perl. Autotools is the
dinosaur of build systems, I would like to see it go away. Anyway thanks for the
input.