* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-16 12:19 Vermessung AVT - Wolfgang Rieger
From: Vermessung AVT - Wolfgang Rieger @ 2017-08-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz wrote:
Vermessung AVT - Wolfgang Rieger writes:
> Another solution which we have been using for many years now, though
> it might not be feasible for you:

----------------------------- snip --------------------------------

Jannick, another idea I had thought of previously might eventually help:

There is the possibility in awk to include source code by @include "myfile.awk" syntax. I was sometimes thinking of providing a general awk script that could deal with oddities of any kind that could easily be changed just in myfile.awk when necessary, e.g. due to updates. You could even think of an optional environment variable to control which script to include. It should be easy to add such an @include line in all gawk scripts automatically. Did you thing of something like that?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

@ 2017-08-16 12:27 ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2017-08-16 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Please stop breaking the message threads, it's hard to comprehend what's happening this way.  If needed, I can help with configuring your e-mail client.

--
David Macek

* Re: Mailing list threads [was: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files]
@ 2017-08-16 22:50   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-08-16 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:27:37, David Macek wrote:
> Please stop breaking the message threads, it's hard to comprehend what's ha=
> ppening this way.  If needed, I can help with configuring your e-mail clien=
> t.

You really dont need to be giving people advice about their email client. Glass
houses and all that:

@ 2017-08-17 12:30     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/16/2017 6:49 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:27:37, David Macek wrote:
>> Please stop breaking the message threads, it's hard to comprehend
>> what's ha=
>> ppening this way.  If needed, I can help with configuring your e-mail
>> clien=
>> t.
>
> You really dont need to be giving people advice about their email
> client. Glass
> houses and all that:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00116.html

LOL, at least David's advice wasn't about the client itself.  The fact
that flowed quoted printable is still a valid means of email record is
all and good and if your client cannot manage it then you're the one who
needs to change the client.  David is correct the OP needs to stop
breaking threads and using list etiquette.

--
cyg Simple

@ 2017-08-17 22:54       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-08-17 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:30:02, cyg Simple wrote:
> LOL, at least David's advice wasn't about the client itself.  The fact
> that flowed quoted printable is still a valid means of email record is
> all and good and if your client cannot manage it then you're the one who
> needs to change the client.

My "client", is an Awk script that I wrote:

http://github.com/svnpenn/tryst

which I only use for sending and replying to messages, and it works quite well.
For reading messages, I use the archives:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin

So no, his method is not valid, given that he is now knowingly ignoring the fact
that the archives require hard wrapping.

> David is correct the OP needs to stop breaking threads and using list
> etiquette.

That same etiquette would dictate that he implement hard wrapping with his
client, so that others dont have to deal with him (custom CSS via Stylish). As
long as he cannot or will not do this, he doesnt really have a place to
criticise, correct, or even comment on others’ clients.