* question about running a linux-compat java prog under cygwin
@ 2018-03-01  0:49 L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2018-03-01  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dunno much about java, so please try to not laugh too hard.

I'm wanting to run the MegaRAID Storage Manager GUI on windows
to manage a megaraid controller.

I run the GUI on linux to manage my server's controller -- that works
fine.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but thought running a posix compat
java on windows might be most compatible.  It may be entirely
unnecessary (?)  and maybe I should just try to run a native
Java -- anyone know?

IF I run under cygwin, is there a java engine that runs under cygwin?

Or do people running on cygwin just use a windows native binary?

Thanks!

* Re: question about running a linux-compat java prog under cygwin
@ 2018-03-01  1:33 ` R0b0t1
From: R0b0t1 @ 2018-03-01  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 6:48 PM, L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org> wrote:
> Dunno much about java, so please try to not laugh too hard.
>
> I'm wanting to run the MegaRAID Storage Manager GUI on windows
> to manage a megaraid controller.
>
> I run the GUI on linux to manage my server's controller -- that works
> fine.
>
> Maybe I'm overthinking things, but thought running a posix compat
> java on windows might be most compatible.  It may be entirely
> unnecessary (?)  and maybe I should just try to run a native
> Java -- anyone know?
>
> IF I run under cygwin, is there a java engine that runs under cygwin?
>
> Or do people running on cygwin just use a windows native binary?
>
> Thanks!

Should be unnecessary. The manufacturer probably picked Java for its
cross-platform capabilities. The one sticking point is I see no way a
pure Java program can interact with a RAID controller, so I suspect
there is a platform-specific portion somewhere. If there is, Cygwin
can't run it for you, it would be an ELF format .so distributed by the
manufacturer. But they probably released versions for both platforms.
If there is a free version, they likely targetted both, or you may be
able to compile the necessary shared object under Cygwin.

Java for UI across systems is a good trick. Program the part that
matters, but has no GUI, in something else that you can compile for
the systems you need to support.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

* Re: question about running a linux-compat java prog under cygwin
@ 2018-03-01  2:40   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2018-03-01  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

R0b0t1 wrote:
> Should be unnecessary. The manufacturer probably picked Java for its
> cross-platform capabilities.
---
	maybe...with their new card, it's managed via a
web-server (NGinx) that gets installed -- then they look for
what web browser you are running.

	In the case of IE - they instantly assume it is
"edge"...which only runs on Win10...talk about LAME.

> The one sticking point is I see no way a
> pure Java program can interact with a RAID controller, so I suspect
> there is a platform-specific portion somewhere.
---
	Hmm....no sockets? or maybe talking to it with
SNMP?

Guess I'll find out...thanks for the response...at
least I know I can go whichever route offers least resistance.

* Re: question about running a linux-compat java prog under cygwin
@ 2018-03-01  3:31     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-03-01  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-02-28 19:40, L A Walsh wrote:
> R0b0t1 wrote:
>> Should be unnecessary. The manufacturer probably picked Java for its
>> cross-platform capabilities.
> ---
>     maybe...with their new card, it's managed via a
> web-server (NGinx) that gets installed -- then they look for
> what web browser you are running.
>
>     In the case of IE - they instantly assume it is
> "edge"...which only runs on Win10...talk about LAME.
>
>> The one sticking point is I see no way a
>> pure Java program can interact with a RAID controller, so I suspect
>> there is a platform-specific portion somewhere.
> ---
>     Hmm....no sockets? or maybe talking to it with
> SNMP?
> Guess I'll find out...thanks for the response...at
> least I know I can go whichever route offers least resistance.

Quick look at issues implies you may be limited to platforms for SMI-S and CIM
providers, which may be Linux, Windows, VMware, and NetApp, and ability to talk
to those over the network, from the host GUI which may be PHP. Did not see any
mentions of Java or JVM.

* (Solved) Re: question about running a linux-compat java prog under cygwin
@ 2018-03-04 23:55 ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2018-03-04 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

L A Walsh wrote:
> Dunno much about java, so please try to not laugh too hard.
>
> I'm wanting to run the MegaRAID Storage Manager GUI on windows
> to manage a megaraid controller.
>
> I run the GUI on linux to manage my server's controller -- that works
> fine.

----
Fortunately, looking at the card software for the previous
generation (the one used on my server vs. the recent ones sold
by Broadcom), I find a native Win32 version of the SW I use on my
linux box.

That'll do for now...

Too bad the newer stuff had to only supply Win10 compatibility
(they assume browser features based on identity -- so if they
get IE, they assume Edge -- thus no provision for earlier windows
versions).;

Possible some 3rd party browser would work, but those are
moving targets.