* Link/$PATH interaction problem
@ 2021-01-24  5:12 Frank Eske
From: Frank Eske @ 2021-01-24  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Similar to December's "cygwin1.dll > 3.1.4 Program execution fails if
(WSL-)symlink exists and is present in PATH", but it's still present in
3.1.6 and 3.1.7. While I can revert back to 3.1.4 (and 3.1.2,) links I have
created since then do not show up as links and are listed as owned by
UnknownUser and UnknownGroup. I have dozens of such links scattered
throughout, making revert testing impractical.

I keep scripts in /home/userid/bat, which is a link, and compiled programs
in /home/userid/bin, which is a simple directory. My PATH begins with
.:/home/userid/bat:/home/userid/bin:... Problems started when I changed the
/home/userid/bat link. After the change, none of the programs in
/home/userid/bin worked. They would just return. Running them with gdb,
they would fail to start (During startup program exited with code
0xc000079) /usr/bin/ programs continued to operate normally.

My relevant links are as follows:
/C -> /cygdrive/c
/home/data -> /C/home/data
/home/userid/bat -> /home/data/home/bat

Currently my /home/userid/bat link is owned by Administrators:None, as
restored by backup software. If I replace it, programs in /home/userid/bin
do not run. If I add ANY other new link to the beginning of $PATH, none of
my compiled programs anywhere run. Adding at the end does not cause any
detectable problem.

With a PATH containing a beginning link: ldd ~/bin/program yields:
   ntdll.dll => ,,,
   KERNEL32.DLL => ...
   KERNELBASE.dll => ...

Without leading link items (except for the restored link), ldd
~/bin/program additionally yields:
   cygwin1.dll => ,,,
   (and sometimes more)

Let me know if you need further information.

* Re: Link/$PATH interaction problem
@ 2021-01-24 15:35 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-01-24 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2021 12:12 AM, Frank Eske via Cygwin wrote:
> Similar to December's "cygwin1.dll > 3.1.4 Program execution fails if
> (WSL-)symlink exists and is present in PATH", but it's still present in
> 3.1.6 and 3.1.7.

Right.  This was reported and fixed after the release of 3.1.7:

   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-December/246952.html

Please try a snapshot:

   https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Ken