* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-25  9:17 Yves Chevallier
From: Yves Chevallier @ 2017-04-25  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, I don't have the same behavior and I have the latest version of
`cygpath.exe` according to my setup:

$ cd /

$ mkdir foo

$ touch foo.exe

$ cygpath -w foo
foo

$ cd foo

$ touch foo.exe

$ cygpath -w foo
foo.exe

$ cygpath --version
cygpath (cygwin) 2.8.0
Path Conversion Utility
Copyright (C) 1998 - 2017 Cygwin Authors

How can I use this mailing list to answer a mail that I only find from
this [link](https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00156.html)?

Is there any issue tracker for Cygwin?

Are you guys on GitHub?

Do you have a platform that supports at least Markdown?

@ 2017-04-25 10:10 ` Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)
From: Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) @ 2017-04-25 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yves Chevallier, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 581 bytes --]

From: Yves Chevallier
> How can I use this mailing list to answer a mail that I only find from
> this [link](https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00156.html)?

Send a plain-text e-mail to cygwin-get.207653@cygwin.com. No need to add
a subject or body. It will send you the message, and you can reply to that.

--Ken Nellis
\x03B‹KCB”\x1c›Ø›\x19[H\x1c™\^[ܝ\x1cΈ\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÜ\x1c›Ø›\x19[\Ëš\x1d^[[\x03B‘TNˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ˜\KÃB‘^[ØÝ[Y[\x18]\x1a[ÛŽˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ^[ØÜËš\x1d^[[\x03B•[œÝXœØÜšX™H\x1a[™›Îˆ\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÛ[\vÈÝ[œÝXœØÜšX™K\Ú[\^[\x19CBƒB

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-25 16:46   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-04-25 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Yves Chevallier
> > How can I use this mailing list to answer a mail that I only find from
> > this [link](https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00156.html)?
>
> Send a plain-text e-mail to cygwin-get.207653@cygwin.com. No need to add
> a subject or body. It will send you the message, and you can reply to that.

Whoa. This should be documented somewhere.

Looks like the 207653 comes from the Return-Path header when you view the raw
message content.

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-26 15:45     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-04-26 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-04-25 03:16, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> From: Yves Chevallier
>>> How can I use this mailing list to answer a mail that I only
>>> find from this link
>>> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00156.html?
>> Send a plain-text e-mail to cygwin-get.207653@cygwin.com. No need
>> to add a subject or body. It will send you the message, and you can
>> reply to that.
> Whoa. This should be documented somewhere.

It's documented in all subscription confirmation and acknowledgement
emails from the mailing list manager, unless you subscribed before
ezmlm was used, and you can get it by sending a blank plain text
email to <list>-help@cygwin.com e.g. mailto:cygwin-help@cygwin.com.

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-26 19:06       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-04-26 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-04-25 19:12, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-04-25 03:16, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> From: Yves Chevallier
>>> Send a plain-text e-mail to cygwin-get.207653@cygwin.com. No need
>>> to add a subject or body. It will send you the message, and you can
>>> reply to that.
>> Whoa. This should be documented somewhere.
>
> It's documented in all subscription confirmation and acknowledgement
> emails from the mailing list manager, unless you subscribed before
> ezmlm was used, and you can get it by sending a blank plain text
> email to <list>-help@cygwin.com e.g. mailto:cygwin-help@cygwin.com.
[last line scrambled by email address obscurer]
email to <list>-help at cygwin dot com e.g. cygwin-help at cygwin dot com

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-27  8:46         ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-04-27  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/25/2017 9:51 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Whoa. This should be documented somewhere.
>>
>> It's documented in all subscription confirmation and acknowledgement
>> emails from the mailing list manager, unless you subscribed before
>> ezmlm was used, and you can get it by sending a blank plain text
>> email to <list>-help@cygwin.com e.g. mailto:cygwin-help@cygwin.com.
> [last line scrambled by email address obscurer]
> email to <list>-help at cygwin dot com e.g. cygwin-help at cygwin dot com

I was going to state the same yesterday but I gave it a try first.  The
resulting mail doesn't explain the use of cygwin-get.MSGID that I saw.
It mostly refers to the FAQ on cygwin.com.

--
cyg Simple

* RE: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-27  9:22           ` Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)
From: Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) @ 2017-04-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple, cygwin

From: cyg Simple
> I was going to state the same yesterday but I gave it a try first.  The
> resulting mail doesn't explain the use of cygwin-get.MSGID that I saw.
> It mostly refers to the FAQ on cygwin.com.

Well, there is the following. Not saying it is easy to find.

https://untroubled.org/ezmlm/manual/Sending-commands.html#Sending-commands

--Ken Nellis

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-27 12:29           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-04-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-04-26 09:20, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 4/25/2017 9:51 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> It's documented in all subscription confirmation and acknowledgement
>>> emails from the mailing list manager, unless you subscribed before
>>> ezmlm was used, and you can get it by sending a blank plain text
>>> email to <list>-help@cygwin.com e.g. mailto:cygwin-help@cygwin.com.
>> [last line scrambled by email address obscurer]
>> email to <list>-help at cygwin dot com e.g. cygwin-help at cygwin dot com
> I was going to state the same yesterday but I gave it a try first.
> The resulting mail doesn't explain the use of cygwin-get.MSGID that I
> saw. It mostly refers to the FAQ on cygwin.com.

Other lists' help is more informative - single message retrieval based
on the ml msg# is implied, but the source of that number is not obvious:

"To get messages 123 through 145 (a maximum of 100 per request), mail:
   <cygwin-get.123_145@cygwin.com>

   <cygwin-index.123_456@cygwin.com>

so you'll actually get 100-499.

send an empty message to:
   <cygwin-thread.12345@cygwin.com>"

should be added to the cygwin ml help, as should the source of the msg#
as being the number in the raw message Return-path: header, and -help
should be a command, and added to the ml help.

* RE: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-05-10 14:12 ` Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)
From: Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) @ 2017-05-10 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chevallier Yves, cygwin

From: Chevallier Yves
> So two questions in this thread:
> 1. How can I participate to the thread and use this mailing list properly?
> From: Brian Inglis <Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca>

The answer was in the message that you quoted, where, in that case, the
message ID was 207653.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
       [not found]   ` <4fbf8b4194f6435298f17536ae08a35f@de01ex22.GLOBAL.JHCN.NET>
@ 2017-05-10 13:11     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-05-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chevallier Yves, cygwin

On 10/05/2017 14:35, Chevallier Yves wrote:
> I don't want to suscribe to it, I just want to be able to post and reply not more.

Or you subscribe or you use a NNTP gateway.

   https://cygwin.com/news.html

There are no other way.

> There is no issue tracker for Cygwin. This is not very convenient.

We track the problems on the mailing list.

Internet is full of issue trackers with no enough resource
to follow up and solve them.

In your case as current cygwin version does not show the problem,
it is for me solved.

Regards
Marco

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-05-10 12:46 Chevallier Yves
       [not found] ` <6e2d34a8-9af5-6288-280f-ed0fdb28d2a8@gmail.com>
From: Chevallier Yves @ 2017-05-10 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I don't understand your points. See my reply below with the leading char $

This is the mail archive of the cygwin mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Index Nav:
Message Nav:
Other format:
[Raw text]

Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
. From: Marco Atzeri <marco dot atzeri at gmail dot com>
. To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
. Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 11:29:32 +0200
. Subject: Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
$ Is this a question? What do you please me for?

Cygpath is part of the cygwin package.
The source specific of "cygpath" is unchanged by ~ 6 months. The issue you see was likely a change inside the cygwin dll.
$ Yes it is exactly what I was arguing because even if I change `cygpath.exe` for the oldest version, the issue is still the same

About your internal validation, please note that the numbering scheme was changed with version 2.0
$ Which internal validation? Are you talking about `cygpath`?

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-04/msg00046.html

I suggest you to consider 2.x version as the successor of 1.7.x.
$ I am considering 2.7 instead of 2.1 What are you talking about 1.7?

Regards
Marco

. From: Chevallier Yves
o Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
. From: Marco Atzeri
o RE: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
. From: Chevallier Yves
Index Nav:
Message Nav:

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-05-10  9:30     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-05-10  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/05/2017 11:12, Chevallier Yves wrote:
> Unfortunately I haven't tried 2.8 because we've already validated 2.7 internally and I would need at least 3 months to access to 2.8.
>
> That said I searched for a release note with information about cygpath, but I haven't find any.

Bottom Post in this mailing list. Please.

@ 2017-05-10  9:29   ` Chevallier Yves
From: Chevallier Yves @ 2017-05-10  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-05-10  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: YChevallier

On 10/05/2017 08:00, Chevallier Yves wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I tried to understand how the mailing list work, but I cannot find any thread number or message number from the following.
>
> Moreover we haven't discussed my issue with `cygpath` which is a serious compatibility break in my toolchain. Changing the executable doesn't change anything because I think `cygpath` is somehow linked to a Cygwin dll which have the bug.
>
> So two questions in this thread:
>
> 1. How can I participate to the thread and use this mailing list properly?
> 2. What workaround can I use with my Cypath issue?
>
> Regards,
> Yves

Have you tried 2.8 ?

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-05-10  7:13 Chevallier Yves

From: Brian Inglis <Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca>
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:37:34 -0600

@ 2017-04-13 18:34 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-04-13 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-04-13 18:01   ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2017-04-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13. 4. 2017 16:24, David Macek wrote:
> On 13. 4. 2017 14:34, Chevallier Yves wrote:
>> I get a very different behaviour with `cygpath` after I upgrade my version of Cygwin. Why? and how can I fix it?
>>
>> With Cygwin 2.7:
>>
>> ```
>> $ uname -a
>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW CPT 2.7.0(0.306/5/3) 2017-02-12 13:13 i686 Cygwin
>> $ cygpath --version
>> cygpath (cygwin) 2.7.0
>>
>> $ cd  /
>> $ touch foo.exe
>> $ cygpath -m foo
>> foo.exe
>>
>> $ cd
>> $ touch foo.exe
>> $ cygpath -m foo
>> foo
>> ```
>
> I can't reproduce this. I see both as `foo` on Cygwin (and both as `foo.exe` on MSYS2). Can you post the output of your `mount`, also `ls foo*` from both directories?

My mistake, I was using Cygwin v2.5.x. I updated to v2.8.0 and now I see both as `foo.exe`.

--
David Macek

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-13 17:42 ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2017-04-13 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-04-13 14:29     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-04-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/13/2017 10:02 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/13/2017 08:59 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
>
> [an unreadable encrypted message]
>
> You may want to fix your email settings; encrypted messages should
> generally not be used when sending to a mailing list.

Sorry, Enigmail settings must have changed inadvertently.

I said:

On 4/13/2017 8:34 AM, Chevallier Yves wrote:
> I get a very different behaviour with `cygpath` after I upgrade my
version of Cygwin. Why? and how can I fix it?

What problem does the added ".exe" cause?

> With Cygwin 2.7:
>
> ```
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW CPT 2.7.0(0.306/5/3) 2017-02-12 13:13 i686 Cygwin
> $ cygpath --version
> cygpath (cygwin) 2.7.0
>
> $ cd  /
> $ touch foo.exe
> $ cygpath -m foo
> foo.exe
>
> $ cd
> $ touch foo.exe
> $ cygpath -m foo
> foo
> ```

This appears to be a regression but why are we creating files in the
root directory?

--
cyg Simple

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-13 14:14   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-04-13 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygsimple

On 04/13/2017 08:59 AM, cyg Simple wrote:

[an unreadable encrypted message]

You may want to fix your email settings; encrypted messages should
generally not be used when sending to a mailing list.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

* Re: cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-13 14:12 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-04-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: PGP/MIME version identification --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-encrypted, Size: 11 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP encrypted message --]

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=o4Ye
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

* cygpath compatiblity break (v2.1 -> v2.7)
@ 2017-04-13 13:29 Chevallier Yves
                   ` (2 more replies)