* Can't link to libpopt
@ 2018-01-08 16:07 Trevor Barton
From: Trevor Barton @ 2018-01-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am trying to use libpopt but I can't link to it using -lpopt to gcc
because libpopt.a doesn't exist in /lib or /usr/lib.

I have an up-to-date 64 bit installation and I have all of
libpopt-common, libpopt-devel and libpopt0 installed at the current
version 1.16.2.  In my /lib and /usr/lib directories I have
libpopt.dll.a, but no libpopt.a, unlike, for example, libreadline, which
has libreadline.a and libreadline.dll.a.

I can link successfully using -lpopt.dll however.  I presume, but can't
seem to find any information, that linking against libThing.a and
libThing.dll.a, where both are available, gives wither a static or
dynamic link?

I always used to be able to link against libpopt.a, but I think that was
always in an older 32bit installation, I may never have tried to build
this program in the 64-bit environment.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?  Can I generate libpopt.a
somehow?  Or should it really be there and there is an error in the
cygwin package?

Cheers,
Trevor

--
Isotek Oil and Gas Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.
Tel: +44 (113) 275 1339  Web: www.isotek.co.uk

* Re: Can't link to libpopt
@ 2018-01-08 18:43 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-01-08 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/01/2018 17:07, Trevor Barton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use libpopt but I can't link to it using -lpopt to gcc
> because libpopt.a doesn't exist in /lib or /usr/lib.
>
> I have an up-to-date 64 bit installation and I have all of
> libpopt-common, libpopt-devel and libpopt0 installed at the current
> version 1.16.2.  In my /lib and /usr/lib directories I have
> libpopt.dll.a, but no libpopt.a, unlike, for example, libreadline, which
> has libreadline.a and libreadline.dll.a.
>
> I can link successfully using -lpopt.dll however.  I presume, but can't
> seem to find any information, that linking against libThing.a and
> libThing.dll.a, where both are available, gives wither a static or
> dynamic link?
>
> I always used to be able to link against libpopt.a, but I think that was
> always in an older 32bit installation, I may never have tried to build
> this program in the 64-bit environment.
>
> Can anyone give me any pointers please?  Can I generate libpopt.a
> somehow?  Or should it really be there and there is an error in the
> cygwin package?
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor

install popt-devel

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fpopt-devel%2Fpopt-devel-1.16-1&grep=libpopt.a

* Re: Can't link to libpopt
@ 2018-01-08 18:53   ` Trevor Barton
From: Trevor Barton @ 2018-01-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/01/2018 18:43, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 08/01/2018 17:07, Trevor Barton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to use libpopt but I can't link to it using -lpopt to gcc
>> because libpopt.a doesn't exist in /lib or /usr/lib.
>>
>> I have an up-to-date 64 bit installation and I have all of
>> libpopt-common, libpopt-devel and libpopt0 installed at the current
>> version 1.16.2.  In my /lib and /usr/lib directories I have
>> libpopt.dll.a, but no libpopt.a, unlike, for example, libreadline,
>> which has libreadline.a and libreadline.dll.a.
>>
>> I can link successfully using -lpopt.dll however.  I presume, but
>> can't seem to find any information, that linking against libThing.a
>> and libThing.dll.a, where both are available, gives wither a static
>> or dynamic link?
>>
>> I always used to be able to link against libpopt.a, but I think that
>> was always in an older 32bit installation, I may never have tried to
>> build this program in the 64-bit environment.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any pointers please?  Can I generate libpopt.a
>> somehow?  Or should it really be there and there is an error in the
>> cygwin package?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Trevor
>
> install popt-devel
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fpopt-devel%2Fpopt-devel-1.16-1&grep=libpopt.a

Thanks Marco.  However that's marked as obsolete in the installer and
replaced by libpopt-devel.  Also the version for that is 1.16.1 I think,
whereas he current version is 1.16.2.  The 1.16.2 version is empty and
just shows an obsolete message on cygwin.com ...

https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/popt-devel/popt-devel-1.16-2

Trevor

--

@ 2018-01-08 19:32     ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-01-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:53:13, Trevor Barton wrote:
> Thanks Marco.  However that's marked as obsolete in the installer and
> replaced by libpopt-devel.  Also the version for that is 1.16.1 I think,
> whereas he current version is 1.16.2.  The 1.16.2 version is empty and
> just shows an obsolete message on cygwin.com ...

I can repro these problems:

1. popt: obsolete
2. popt-devel: obsolete
3. libpopt0: only has the DLL
4. libpopt-devel: libpopt.dll.a only
4. libpopt-common: /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/locale only
5. mingw64-x86_64-popt: has libpopt.a, but only for native builds
6. mingw64-i686-popt: has libpopt.a, but only for native builds

You might post an issue here:

http://github.com/cygwinports/popt

but good luck - Yaakov is not keen on fixing these type issues:

http://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-expat/issues/1
http://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-fdk-aac/issues/1
http://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-lua/issues/1
http://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-nghttp2/issues/1
http://github.com/cygwinports/mingw64-x86_64-pcre/issues/1

* Re: Can't link to libpopt
@ 2018-01-08 20:46       ` Trevor Barton
From: Trevor Barton @ 2018-01-08 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/01/2018 19:32, Steven Penny wrote:

> You might post an issue here:
>
> http://github.com/cygwinports/popt
>
> but good luck - Yaakov is not keen on fixing these type issues:

Nevertheless he fixed my problem, and very quickly too; I was linking
with -static, removing that meant that -lpopt works as expected without
having libpopt.a available.  I have no idea why I had -static on the
linker line, I don't normally use static links and can't remember
putting it there, I must have done so for some reason at some point though.

I was wondering why I couldn't find any evidence of anyone else having
this problem on the Internet, I couldn't believe I was the only person
linking against popt in the world.  Turns out I might be the only idiot
though :)

Thanks Steven and Yaakov.
Trevor