* Cygwin gdb to load debug into from Windows VC?
@ 2023-09-26  4:39 Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2023-09-26  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Good morning!

Is it possible to load Visual Studio (VC19, VC22) debug info (*.pdb
files) into Cygwin gdb?

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@gmail.com>
[https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CedricBlancher/]

* Re: Cygwin gdb to load debug into from Windows VC?
@ 2023-10-03 15:03 ` Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2023-10-03 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 06:39, Cedric Blancher
<cedric.blancher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Is it possible to load Visual Studio (VC19, VC22) debug info (*.pdb
> files) into Cygwin gdb?

Anyone?

Or can VC19/VC22 create DWARF debug data?

Ced
--

@ 2023-10-03 16:55   ` Johannes Thoma
From: Johannes Thoma @ 2023-10-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Am 03.10.23 um 17:03 schrieb Cedric Blancher via Cygwin:
> On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 06:39, Cedric Blancher
> <cedric.blancher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Good morning!
>>
>> Is it possible to load Visual Studio (VC19, VC22) debug info (*.pdb
>> files) into Cygwin gdb?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Or can VC19/VC22 create DWARF debug data?
>
> Ced

As far as I know gdb cannot read program database (pdb) files since this file format is proprietary.
I don't know about VC support for gdb but what you can do is to compile your application with mingw-w64
(if it is a non posix app). Then you can use gdb to debug it.

Hope that helps, best regards,

Johannes

* Re: Cygwin gdb to load debug into from Windows VC?
@ 2023-10-16 15:10     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-10-16 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/10/2023 17:55, Johannes Thoma via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 03.10.23 um 17:03 schrieb Cedric Blancher via Cygwin:
>> On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 06:39, Cedric Blancher
>> <cedric.blancher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Good morning!
>>>
>>> Is it possible to load Visual Studio (VC19, VC22) debug info (*.pdb
>>> files) into Cygwin gdb?
>>
>> Anyone?
>>
>> Or can VC19/VC22 create DWARF debug data?
>>
>> Ced
>
> As far as I know gdb cannot read program database (pdb) files since this
> file format is proprietary.
> I don't know about VC support for gdb but what you can do is to compile
> your application with mingw-w64
> (if it is a non posix app). Then you can use gdb to debug it.
>
> Hope that helps, best regards,

There was actually some upstream work on this (see the branch
users/ssbssa/pdb-reader-preview in the binutils-gdb git repository), but
unfortunately this seem to be abandoned.