* RE: invalid spawn id (4)
@ 2004-03-03  0:29 Wolmarans, Brett
From: Wolmarans, Brett @ 2004-03-03  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com', Wolmarans, Brett

Yes I know, but I am not a skilled contributor.

_______________________
brett wolmarans, PSE, Spirent Communications
Cell Phone: (818) 292-3411  http://support.spirentcom.com

From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-03-02 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolmarans, Brett; +Cc: cygwin

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: invalid spawn id (4)
       [not found] ` <629E717C12A8694A88FAA6BEF9FFCD4403230E70@brigadoon.spirent com.com>
@ 2004-03-02 23:52   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-03-02 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolmarans, Brett, 'Cygwin List'

At 05:53 PM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
>I wish I had a job where I could spend this much time writing so much about
>so little.  Lucky you!

Apparently you do (have such a job).  And I'm sure we're all appreciative
that you use so much of your precious time to start antagonistic threads
and keep them going!  It's very useful.  I expect that this thread will
work to your advantage with any future inquiries you make to the list.  Who
wouldn't want to try to help you with a problem you're having?!

Nice talking with you.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: invalid spawn id (4)
@ 2004-03-02 23:44 Wolmarans, Brett
       [not found] ` <629E717C12A8694A88FAA6BEF9FFCD4403230E70@brigadoon.spirent com.com>

At 12:43 PM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
>If you recommend your telnet client so much then have it installed by
>default.  That was my point.
>
>_______________________
>brett wolmarans, PSE, Spirent Communications
>Cell Phone: (818) 292-3411  http://support.spirentcom.com

* RE: invalid spawn id (4)
@ 2004-03-02 23:40 Wolmarans, Brett
From: Wolmarans, Brett @ 2004-03-02 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Wolmarans, Brett

You must be joking!

_______________________

@ 2004-03-02 22:24       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-03-02 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:10:00PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>Humor and indignation aside, it might be a useful feature to have
>"installation profiles" for setup based on intended usage.  That way,
>instead of having to wade through all the packages (on a too-small
>screen, no less [an inside joke]), one could simply select "Cygwin for
>telnet", or "Cygwin for shell scripting", or "Cygwin for cron" and the
>right set of packages will automagically be selected.  Feel free to
>implement the support for this in setup and submit a patch -- I'm sure
>it will be thoughtfully considered.

Actually, IMO, setup's UI needs a complete and total redesign.  It's
obviously not very intuitive to use.  Something like the above would
probably be useful but maybe we should just go with a more traditional
installer look-and-feel.

Anyone up for a 'setup2' project?

cgf

* RE: invalid spawn id (4)
@ 2004-03-02 22:09     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-03-02 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Wolmarans, Brett

       [not found] ` <629E717C12A8694A88FAA6BEF9FFCD4403230E6C@brigadoon.spirent com.com>
@ 2004-03-02 22:00   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-03-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolmarans, Brett, 'Cygwin List', Wolmarans, Brett

At 12:43 PM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
>If you recommend your telnet client so much then have it installed by
>default.  That was my point.
>
>_______________________
>brett wolmarans, PSE, Spirent Communications
>Cell Phone: (818) 292-3411  http://support.spirentcom.com

* RE: invalid spawn id (4)
@ 2004-03-02 19:57 Wolmarans, Brett
       [not found] ` <629E717C12A8694A88FAA6BEF9FFCD4403230E6C@brigadoon.spirent com.com>

       [not found] ` <629E717C12A8694A88FAA6BEF9FFCD4403230E67@brigadoon.spirent com.com>
@ 2004-03-02  3:39   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-03-02  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolmarans, Brett, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 07:33 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:
>Hey, nobody ever replied but the answer is, don't use Microsoft telnet
>client with cygwin expect.
>
>Install cygwin telnet client ( NOT installed by default, heaven alone knows
>why when they have a gazillion other things installed by default that will
>only be useful to 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the user
>base )

We recommend Cygwin telnet client over MS regardless of your intended
use. ;-)

Of course, this list caters to 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
of the user base so we can only make recommendations to the rest of you.

Holliston, MA 01746

* invalid spawn id (4)
@ 2004-03-02  0:33 Wolmarans, Brett
       [not found] ` <629E717C12A8694A88FAA6BEF9FFCD4403230E67@brigadoon.spirent com.com>
From: Wolmarans, Brett @ 2004-03-02  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hey, nobody ever replied but the answer is, don't use Microsoft telnet
client with cygwin expect.

Install cygwin telnet client ( NOT installed by default, heaven alone knows
why when they have a gazillion other things installed by default that will
only be useful to 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the user
base )

Anybody know how to resolve or work around this bug in expect: invalid spawn
id (4) the first time I try to something incredibly common such as use
expect to automate a telnet session.  I could not find any references to
this in the faq or archives, found one hit on google but no solution.

cygwin version: CYGWIN_NT-5.0 bwolmarans-98 1.5.4(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-12 23:08
i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
expect version: 8.4.1 ( output from info patchlevel command )
O/S version: w2k pro SP3

log:
bwolmarans@bwolmarans-98 ~
$ expect