* rlwrap no longer works with windows console apps
@ 2020-03-13 16:34 Kostya Altukhov
From: Kostya Altukhov @ 2020-03-13 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just try e.g. "rlwrap cmd" from bash and attempt to work in it ->
completely broken.
Is this related to the recent pty changes?
It worked fine earlier.

* Re: rlwrap no longer works with windows console apps
@ 2020-03-13 17:37 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-03-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 13.03.2020 um 17:34 schrieb Kostya Altukhov via Cygwin:
> Just try e.g. "rlwrap cmd" from bash and attempt to work in it ->
> completely broken.
> Is this related to the recent pty changes?
> It worked fine earlier.
> --

Please define what do you mean as completely broken.

What are you doing ?
What is the result you are seeing?
What is the result you were expecting ?

* Re: rlwrap no longer works with windows console apps
@ 2020-03-13 18:06   ` Kostya Altukhov
From: Kostya Altukhov @ 2020-03-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

 On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 8:37 PM Marco Atzeri wrote:

> What are you doing ?
> What is the result you are seeing?
> What is the result you were expecting ?

Oh, sorry. Here are some cases:

1. Run 'rlwrap cmd'.
Expected result: a prompt with a current directory name and a cursor for
inputting commands should be displayed.
Actual result: an empty screen with the cmd logo in the two topmost lines
and an input cursor somewhere in the middle of an empty third line, the
prompt is not displayed.

2. Type 'dir' and press <Enter>
Expected result: a list of files in the current directory.
Actual result: an empty screen with the word 'dir' moved from whenever it
was typed to the top left corner of the third line (just below the 'cmd'
logo).

3. Press <Up> key.
Expected result: a prompt with a current directory name and a previously
entered command ('dir') should be displayed.
Actual result: an empty screen with the word 'dirdir' in the top left
corner of the third line (just below the 'cmd' logo).

4. Type "exit" and press <Enter>
Expected result: cmd should exit and bash prompt should be displayed again.
Actual result: an empty screen with the word 'exit' in the top left corner
of the third line (just below the 'cmd' logo).

@ 2020-03-13 18:13 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-03-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 19:34:18 +0300
Kostya Altukhov wrote:
> Just try e.g. "rlwrap cmd" from bash and attempt to work in it ->
> completely broken.
> Is this related to the recent pty changes?
> It worked fine earlier.

Why do you use rlwrap for cmd.exe? History and command line
edit are working in cmd without rlwrap in new cygwin.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: rlwrap no longer works with windows console apps
@ 2020-03-13 18:49   ` Kostya Altukhov
From: Kostya Altukhov @ 2020-03-13 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Takashi Yano wrote:

> Why do you use rlwrap for cmd.exe? History and command line
> edit are working in cmd without rlwrap in new cygwin.

cmd.exe is just an example. I use rlwrap for other Windows command line
tools like Oracle's sqlplus and others. But even in stuff like cmd.exe,
only basic history and editing is available natively, rlwrap provides
additional benefits like history search, persistence of history between
sessions, more sophisticated editing commands, etc. I have a lot of aliases
wrapping all windows tools with rlwrap.

* Re: rlwrap no longer works with windows console apps
@ 2020-03-16 20:46     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-03-16 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kostya Altukhov, cygwin

Greetings, Kostya Altukhov!

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Takashi Yano wrote:

>> Why do you use rlwrap for cmd.exe? History and command line
>> edit are working in cmd without rlwrap in new cygwin.
>>

> cmd.exe is just an example. I use rlwrap for other Windows command line
> tools like Oracle's sqlplus and others. But even in stuff like cmd.exe,
> only basic history and editing is available natively, rlwrap provides
> additional benefits like history search, persistence of history between
> sessions, more sophisticated editing commands, etc. I have a lot of aliases
> wrapping all windows tools with rlwrap.

I can imagine that wrapping native tool into POSIX program would not behave
well, but compound it with changes in console code of modern Windows system,
and you get a recipe for disaster.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin