* BUG: bash_completion package consistently omitting critical file
       [not found] <1463073932.4179759.1610089869253.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-01-08  7:11 ` matthew patton
From: matthew patton @ 2021-01-08  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Cygwin

Every recent version that I can remember has been missing the most important file of all: /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
Why? What is wrong with the packaging process if we're building from the source? The origin has always lived at https://github.com/scop/bash-completion/blob/master/bash_completion

* Re: BUG: bash_completion package consistently omitting critical file
@ 2021-01-08  7:20   ` Marco Atzeri
       [not found]     ` <2124072414.5190264.1610093090917@mail.yahoo.com>
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-08  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08.01.2021 08:11, matthew patton via Cygwin wrote:
> Every recent version that I can remember has been missing the most important file of all: /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
> Why? What is wrong with the packaging process if we're building from the source? The origin has always lived at https://github.com/scop/bash-completion/blob/master/bash_completion
> --

Dear Matthew,

 From what I see on
https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/bash-completion/bash-completion-2.7-1

the package is there
   usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion

What is the output of :

    cygcheck -c bash-completion

?

@ 2021-01-08  8:14       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-08  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

please reply to the mailing list

On 08.01.2021 09:04, matthew patton wrote:
>> What is the output of :     cygcheck -c bash-completion
>
> well that's friggin' annoying. It came up blank.
>
> So I went back to the installer and it's not selected. And yet every
> time I install Cygwin I select it and I always end up with a partial
> (broken) install that's missing that file as well as 'helpers/' but have
> a bunch of other supporting directories and a reasonably populated
> 'completions/'.

look on /var/log/setup.log.full for hints

> now I get '2.7-1'. Is there a package conflict during a fresh install?
>
> I guess I need to do another clean install to see if I can duplicate.

Regards
Marco