* Re: FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow?
@ 2011-12-01 16:14 efa
From: efa @ 2011-12-01 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi,
my Cygwin 1.7.9 on WinXP (full updated) becomed slow after malware
'Mal/FakeAvCn-A' perform some SW damage.
I recoved the Win installation (Firewall, WinUpdate, hidden files, damaged
shortcut and so on) and now all work as expected.
But Cygwin, it use about 1 s per shell command.
For example:
$ time env
HOMEPATH=\Docume
COMPUTERNAME=MES
real    0m1.075s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.015s

$ time time
Usage: time [-apvV] [-f format] [-o file] [--append] [--verbose]
       [--portability] [--format=format] [--output=file] [--version]
       [--help] command [arg...]
real    0m1.033s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.030s

It is evident to me, that the command is immediately executed at the right
speed, then a second is spent before return back to the shell prompt.
Happen with those shell:
- bash
- xterm

Script execution is very slow so.

I tried some of the suggested solutions found googling:
- deinstalled bash completion
- set the path to /bin only
- stopping all unnecessary Windows services
no difference.

Other suggestions?

thank you,
Valerio

* Re: FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow?
@ 2011-12-21 17:02 ` Spiro Trikaliotis
From: Spiro Trikaliotis @ 2011-12-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

* On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:30:11PM +0100 efa@iol.it wrote:
> >From: marco.atzeri@gmail.com
>
> >antivirus ?
> >http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
>
> thanks,
> from this list I had Sophos Anti-Virus installed in the system. It is version
> 9.5 fully updated and not 7.
[...]
> As I cannot admin this Sophos installation I cannot disable the scannig of
> Cygwin root installation.
> I will try to ask to the admin to add this excetion (low possibility I think).

Even worse: In many cases, just adding exceptions is not enough. In many
cases, BLODA (especially Antivirus) has to be uninstalled. Although not
active in the directory, or even when the services are disabled, many
Antivirus software programs still interfere.

> BTW seems strange Sophos interfere only with Cygwin.

Well, the Antivir programs do not only interfere with Cygwin. However,
Cygwin is doing some tricks in order to perform its task, and these
tricks are more likely to fail with Antivirus programs active.

Furthermore, there are some (many?) programs that specifically
work-around problems with Antivirus software. For example, I know for
sure that SVN has some special code to handle a problem with some
Antivirus programs.

Best regards,
   Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/                      http://vice-emu.sf.net/

* Re: FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow?
@ 2011-12-21 14:30 efa
From: efa @ 2011-12-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>From: marco.atzeri@gmail.com

>antivirus ?
>http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

thanks,
from this list I had Sophos Anti-Virus installed in the system. It is version
9.5 fully updated and not 7.

Anyway I tried to disable its 6 windows services, check the 8 tasks it
generate was closed,
but same results with Cygwin.

@ 2011-12-21 13:02 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-12-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/21/2011 1:43 PM, efa@iol.it wrote:
> My Cygwin installation use about 1 s per shell command.
> For example:
> $ time env
> HOMEPATH=\Docume
> COMPUTERNAME=MES
> real    0m1.075s
> user    0m0.030s
> sys     0m0.015s
>
> $ time time
> Usage: time [-apvV] [-f format] [-o file] [--append] [--verbose]
>         [--portability] [--format=format] [--output=file] [--version]
>         [--help] command [arg...]
> real    0m1.033s
> user    0m0.030s
> sys     0m0.030s
>
> It is evident to me, that the command is immediately executed at the right
> speed, then a second is spent before return back to the shell prompt.
> Happen with those shell:
> - bash
> - xterm
> - mintty
>
> Script execution is very slow.
>
> I tried some of the suggested solutions found googling:
> - deinstalled bash completion
> - set the path to /bin only
> - stopping all unnecessary Windows services
> no difference.
>
> I also tried to completely remove Cygwin and reinstall 1.7.9. Same results.
>
> Other suggestions? What other check I must do?

antivirus ?
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

> thank you in advance,
> Valerio

Regards
Marco

* Re: FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow?
@ 2011-12-21 12:43 efa