* Slowness with cygwin from behind a VPN
@ 2016-09-12 14:41 ncoif
From: ncoif @ 2016-09-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everyone,

I've noticed a problem with a specific command on cygwin, but only when
executed behind a VPN. I would like to know how to find more information
about this problem, and/or how/where to report this potential bug.

The following command is taking a lot of time behind a VPN (works fast
without the VPN):
cmd.exe /X /C "git --version"
Running git --version works equally fast in both cases, so I would guess
there is a problem in cmd.exe/cygwin, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion
on how to gather more information about the network is welcome.

My cygwin version:
$ uname -r
2.6.0(0.304/5/3)

My cmd.exe version:
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

My git version: 2.8.3

Sincerely,
ncoif

PS: This is my first time on this mailing list, so please apologize for
my mistakes.

* Re: Slowness with cygwin from behind a VPN
@ 2016-09-12 20:43 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-09-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/09/2016 16:42, ncoif wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've noticed a problem with a specific command on cygwin, but only when
> executed behind a VPN. I would like to know how to find more information
> about this problem, and/or how/where to report this potential bug.
>
> The following command is taking a lot of time behind a VPN (works fast
> without the VPN):
> cmd.exe /X /C "git --version"
> Running git --version works equally fast in both cases, so I would guess
> there is a problem in cmd.exe/cygwin, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion
> on how to gather more information about the network is welcome.
>
> My cygwin version:
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.0(0.304/5/3)
>
> My cmd.exe version:
> OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
> OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
>
> My git version: 2.8.3
>
> Sincerely,
> ncoif
>
> PS: This is my first time on this mailing list, so please apologize for
> my mistakes.

probably the VPN is adding delays in recovering user or group data.
You can try if running cygserver improve the performance:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-caching

* Re: Slowness with cygwin from behind a VPN
@ 2016-09-13 14:50 ` ncoif
From: ncoif @ 2016-09-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks a lot Marko, this link works fine for me!!