* Make
@ 2000-06-14 22:26 Neil Clayton
From: Neil Clayton @ 2000-06-14 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

I've been attempting to get make to work (with Java), without any luck.

Actually, I should be more specific - make works, but I cannot get it to
work properly if I choose to compile the java files to an alternate
directory from the source (that is, specify the '-d' option).

The rules's Im using use full pathnames (/src/src/... and for the .java
files and /src/classes/... for the classes) for argets and dependencies.
These rules are generated by jdeps.

When I run make - it compiles the files.
When I run make again - it compiles the files again.
It does not seem to perform an 'incremental' build.

Weird thing is, when re-generate the dependency information, so that javac
does not generate to an alternate directory (that is, I remove the '-d'
option), it works. Successive runs of make do NOT rebuild everything.

Is this a known fault?
Is there a workaround?

Help!

Neil

* Re: make
@ 2002-05-02 10:43 Tim Orr
From: Tim Orr @ 2002-05-02 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To Arek and Michael,
That is exactly what I did not do.  I thought I had selected all of the
packages to install... works great now!

thank you both,

tim

>From: Michael A Chase <mchase@ix.netcom.com>
>To: Tim Orr <whutrnt@hotmail.com>, cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: make
>Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:14:04 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
>
>On Thu, 02 May 2002 15:40:43 +0000 Tim Orr <whutrnt@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I'm new to this list.  I was using cygwin a few months ago and
>changed
> > computers... I just installed cygwin on my new computer but can not get
>make
> > to be recognized.  I keep getting this message:
> > bash: make: command not found
> > bash: gcc: command not found
> >
> > obviously gcc was when I tried to compile a file.  I remember something
> > about having to get cygwin (the bash) to recognize those commands but I
>have
> > no idea what that was.
>
>Setup.exe is now more selective in what it installs.  Run it again and
>select the make and gcc packages.  There are probably more packages that
>you would find useful, so looking at the entire list may be helpful.
>--
>Mac :})
>** I normally forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **
>Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>Give a hobbit a fish and he eats fish for a day.
>Give a hobbit a ring and he eats fish for an age.
>

>--

* Re: make
@ 2002-05-02  9:15 ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-05-02  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Orr, cygwin

@ 2002-05-02  9:04 ` Arek (James Potts)
From: Arek (James Potts) @ 2002-05-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Orr, cygwin

Did you install gcc and make when you installed Cygwin?  They're no longer
installed by default, you have to tell the installer you want them.

James Potts
(james@verge-rpg.com)

> Ok, I'm new to this list.  I was using cygwin a few months ago and changed
> computers... I just installed cygwin on my new computer but can not get
make
> to be recognized.  I keep getting this message:
> bash: make: command not found
> bash: gcc: command not found
>
> obviously gcc was when I tried to compile a file.  I remember something
> about having to get cygwin (the bash) to recognize those commands but I
have
> no idea what that was.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
> thank you,
>
> tim

* make
@ 2002-05-02  8:40 Tim Orr
From: Tim Orr @ 2002-05-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-08  8:19         ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-11-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, David

Close enough.  x is the number of processes you want; on Windows it's good
not to exceed the number of processors.  It may not have been tested
extensively on NT lately, as most people (I think) use Win2K with Cygwin.
From: David @ 2001-11-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince, cygwin

We disable Mcafee for the builds as it adds to much overhead.
I am looking in Task Manager to start with to see the utilization.
I see no difference from using make -j x (where x is the number of
processors).and make without the -j switch.
By using make -j you can take advantage of parallel executions.
Please let me know if I'm invoking it incorrectly.

At 09:21 PM 11/7/2001 -0800, Tim Prince wrote:

* Re: make
@ 2001-11-07 21:33     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-11-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, David

@ 2001-11-07 18:44   ` David
From: David @ 2001-11-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am somewhat new to cygwin ( have been using it for a few months) and am
currently assisting our developers.
I am setting up builds using the 1.3.2 version and I'm trying to find out
if make under cygwin can do parallel processing. I saw a note on the
3.77.1 version of make that parallel processing code had been worked on.

I've tried make -j 2 for a 2 processor machine but the cpu utilization is
still down at 3-6%.
Has the code for parallel processing been tested for NT ? How does one
verify that it is working ?
Thanks much.

* Re: make
@ 2000-11-02  5:45 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-11-02  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CGuerra; +Cc: cygwin

Carlos,

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 10:36:52AM +1300, CGuerra@brocker.co.nz wrote:
> I also would like to get an example of how to traverse subdirectories and
> do a make in each of them.

Use GNU make's -C option, as in the following:

SubDir = dir2 dir2 dir3

all:: $(SubDir)

clean:: $(SubDir)

.PHONY: $(SubDir)

$(SubDir):
	$(MAKE) -C $@ $(MAKECMDGOALS)

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* Re: make
@ 2000-11-02  1:14 ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2000-11-02  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

Try this fragment

#
SUBDIRS		= dir1	\
		  dir2	\
                  ...   \
		  dirn

all::
	@case '${MFLAGS}' in *[ik]*) set +e;; esac; \
	for i in $(SUBDIRS) ;\
	do \
		(cd $$i ; echo "making" all in $$i..."; \
		$(MAKE) $(MFLAGS)); \
	done

Hope that helps

Don Sharp

CGuerra@brocker.co.nz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to include a file from a makefile, but it says that the file is
> not there. I'm using the UNIX_MODE and sh.   In the current directory I
> have a makefile with the following line. The global file is in the same
> directory.  What's wrong??
>
> include "global"
>
> I also would like to get an example of how to traverse subdirectories and
> do a make in each of them.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Carlos.
> cguerra@brocker.co.nz
>
> PS:  please cc me to my email account as well.
>
> --

* Re: make
@ 2000-11-01 13:35 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-11-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 10:36:52AM +1300, CGuerra@brocker.co.nz wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to include a file from a makefile, but it says that the file is
>not there. I'm using the UNIX_MODE and sh.   In the current directory I
>have a makefile with the following line. The global file is in the same
>directory.  What's wrong??
>
>include "global"

Don't quote the filename argument.

cgf

* make
@ 2000-11-01 13:29 CGuerra
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: CGuerra @ 2000-11-01 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-05-31 21:10 ` Richard Hickling
From: Richard Hickling @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is the 'define'/'endef' construct a part of GNU
'make'?
If so, is that version part of the latest Cygwin
binary distribution?

* Re: make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reid Thompson, cygwin

These are simply the Link order problems.  MOTIF requires libraries in certain order.
The correct order is  -lMrm -lXm -lXt -lXmu -lX11

You can read more at www.lesstif.org in FAQ

--SMS

From: Reid Thompson @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

thanks
reid

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10     ` Richard Hickling
From: Richard Hickling @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

> > Is the 'define'/'endef' construct a part of GNU
> > 'make'?
> > If so, is that version part of the latest Cygwin
> > binary distribution?
> The answer is yes.
> Wonder what would take longer -- test out your copy of make to see if it
> does indeed support this feature (or look at the gnumake docs, which are
> also available on the web), or post a request to see if someone else would
> do it for you?

My 'make' does not support this feature.  I have been told the newest ones
should.
The info documentation on 'make' (that I have) does not mention
'define'/'endef', however.  Thus, I was confused.

It would certainly take time and waste bandwidth to download various versions
of 'make', install them and test them.

In comparison, anyone who knew that this feature existed would waste about 10
seconds to click 'Reply' (or 'Reply All' if they saw fit) and type 'yes'.

Thank you for your answer.

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10         ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 1999, Richard Hickling wrote:  [...]
>
> > My 'make' does not support this feature.  I have been told the
> > newest ones should.

This feature is apparently supported as far back as make 3.75.

> > The info documentation on 'make' (that I have) does not mention
> > 'define'/'endef', however.  Thus, I was confused.

Just for the record, the info documentation distributed with
Cygwin B20.1 is for 'make' version 3.75 Beta and it does mention
define/endef.

You can search for those terms from within info or simply enter
"info make sequences" at the bash prompt.

> Future versions of Cygwin will include make 3.77 which is the
> latest version of GNU make.

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, C. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10           ` Richard Hickling
From: Richard Hickling @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Spell; +Cc: cygwin

> > > My 'make' does not support this feature.  I have been told the
> > > newest ones should.
> This feature is apparently supported as far back as make 3.75.

Unfortunately the make I must use is 'clearmake' with compatibility
mode GNU.  This doesn't support 'define' - under NT - though the
newest version for Solaris does.

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 02:03:44PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>Richard Hickling <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be> writes:
>> Is the 'define'/'endef' construct a part of GNU
>> 'make'?
>> If so, is that version part of the latest Cygwin
>> binary distribution?
>>

>The answer is yes.
>
>Wonder what would take longer -- test out your copy of make to see if
>it does indeed support this feature (or look at the gnumake docs, which
>are also available on the web), or post a request to see if someone
>else would do it for you?

If anyone knows the answer to this question could they post it here as
I do not read this board...

cgf

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Richard Hickling <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be> writes:
> Is the 'define'/'endef' construct a part of GNU
> 'make'?
> If so, is that version part of the latest Cygwin
> binary distribution?

The answer is yes.

Wonder what would take longer -- test out your copy of make to see if it
does indeed support this feature (or look at the gnumake docs, which are
also available on the web), or post a request to see if someone else would
do it for you?

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-31 21:10       ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hickling; +Cc: Mumit Khan, cygwin

On Tue, May 25, 1999, Richard Hickling wrote:
[...]
> My 'make' does not support this feature.  I have been told the newest ones
> should.
> The info documentation on 'make' (that I have) does not mention
> 'define'/'endef', however.  Thus, I was confused.

Future versions of Cygwin will include make 3.77 which is the latest
version of GNU make.

--
Geoffrey Noer		Email: noer@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-25 22:19         ` Richard Hickling
From: Richard Hickling @ 1999-05-25 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Spell; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-05-25 21:51       ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-05-25 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 1999, Richard Hickling wrote:  [...]
>
> > My 'make' does not support this feature.  I have been told the
> > newest ones should.

This feature is apparently supported as far back as make 3.75.

> > The info documentation on 'make' (that I have) does not mention
> > 'define'/'endef', however.  Thus, I was confused.

Just for the record, the info documentation distributed with
Cygwin B20.1 is for 'make' version 3.75 Beta and it does mention
define/endef.

You can search for those terms from within info or simply enter
"info make sequences" at the bash prompt.

> Future versions of Cygwin will include make 3.77 which is the
> latest version of GNU make.

-glenn

--

@ 1999-05-25 10:16     ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-05-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hickling; +Cc: Mumit Khan, cygwin

@ 1999-05-24 23:41   ` Richard Hickling
From: Richard Hickling @ 1999-05-24 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-05-24 18:43   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-05-24 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 02:03:44PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>Richard Hickling <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be> writes:
>> Is the 'define'/'endef' construct a part of GNU
>> 'make'?
>> If so, is that version part of the latest Cygwin
>> binary distribution?
>>

>The answer is yes.
>
>Wonder what would take longer -- test out your copy of make to see if
>it does indeed support this feature (or look at the gnumake docs, which
>are also available on the web), or post a request to see if someone
>else would do it for you?

If anyone knows the answer to this question could they post it here as
I do not read this board...

cgf

* Re: Make
@ 1999-05-24 13:05 ` Mumit Khan
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-05-24 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-05-24  1:47 Richard Hickling
From: Richard Hickling @ 1999-05-24  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-05-21 10:44 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi

> Fogive my ignorance ( and if you can point me to reference online where
> i could find answers would appreciate it)
>
> What path am i missing that results in the following make error output:
>
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3324):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcCloseConnection'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3414):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcModifyCallbacks'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3420):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcClientID'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x347a):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcOpenConnection'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x359c):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcGetIceConnection'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x35aa):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `IceConnectionNumber'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3b19):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcSetProperties'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3baa):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcSetProperties'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3c15):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcDeleteProperties'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3c3b):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcGetIceConnection'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3c44):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `IceProcessMessages'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3ccd):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcSaveYourselfDone'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3e13):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcInteractDone'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x3f1a):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcSaveYourselfDone'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x40b5):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcInteractRequest'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x414f):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcInteractDone'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x4195):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcRequestSaveYourselfPhase2'
> /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXt.a(Shell.o)(.text+0x41ba):Shell.c: undefined
> reference to `SmcSaveYourselfDone'
>

> thanks
> reid

* make
@ 1999-05-21 10:38 Reid Thompson
From: Reid Thompson @ 1999-05-21 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1998-08-31 15:55 ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1998-08-31 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Watt; +Cc: gnu-win32

FYI, this is a make bug that's fixed in make 3.77.  We will at least
be including a patch that addresses this problem in the next major
gnu-win32 release, but maybe not make 3.77 yet.
-gjn

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Re: make
@ 1998-08-31 11:07 ` Stephen Vance
From: Stephen Vance @ 1998-08-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Watt; +Cc: gnu-win32

Kevin Watt wrote:

>  Greetings, I just recently installed the cdk kit, and was hoping to
> use its make utility to build perl/tk 800.010.  But, anytime I use
> make makefile, i get a " makefile:632: *** missing separator.  Stop. "
> error, and it's quite frustrating!  I've tried changing the MAKE_MODE
> env var. to UNIX, but the problem still occurs.  I have tested this
> with many makefiles and I get the same problem, if on a different
> line.  An additional problem I get when creating the makefile for
> tk800 with perl makefile.pl, is it saying " Test Compiling
> config/signedchar.cBad command or file name Test Compiling
> config/Ksprintf.cBad command or file name "  is it looking for my gcc
> in the wrong place or something?  It seems to write all the
> dependancies ok and everything else. Thanks for the help,Kevin Watt

 This indicates that you have carriage returns in your makefile in
addition to line feeds.
I first encountered this with some included dependency makefiles that
were generated
automatically and filtered through various pipes and redirections.
Unfortunately, I
could not find a way to get around the inclusion of <CR> via a
redirection.  I suspect
it has to do with the bash binary v. text issues that have been
discussed in other threads.

--
Stephen Vance                           |  http://www.deneb.com
Deneb Robotics, Inc.                    |  mailto:vance@deneb.com

What is done well is done quickly enough. -Augustus Caesar

-

* make
@ 1998-08-29 21:06 Kevin Watt
From: Kevin Watt @ 1998-08-29 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)