* network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-13 17:02 Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-13 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings!  Salutations!

I have not done it in a while, but back in the day there used to be a tool called tcpdump. I have searched for this on the packages site[1] and I can not find anything to capture a tpcip network trace in cygwin.  Say it is not so.  Are there any tools to capture simple tcpip local network traces in the actual x86 cygwin snapshots?  If so, are there any spots where I can download and build tcpdump or any tool like that one?  Thanks.

josé

[1] https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=tcp+trace&arch=x86

* Re: network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-13 17:27 ` Pokechu22
From: Pokechu22 @ 2019-06-13 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 10:02 AM Jose Isaias Cabrera wrote:

> Greetings!  Salutations!
>
> I have not done it in a while, but back in the day there used to be a tool called tcpdump. I have searched for this on the packages site[1] and I can not find anything to capture a tpcip network trace in cygwin.  Say it is not so.  Are there any tools to capture simple tcpip local network traces in the actual x86 cygwin snapshots?  If so, are there any spots where I can download and build tcpdump or any tool like that one?  Thanks.
>
> josé
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=tcp+trace&arch=x86
>
> --

Hello josé,

To my (limited) knowledge, it simply isn't available, presumably
because of elevation requirements on windows or something like that.
I think what you want is winpcap (or npcap?) along with windump... or
maybe wireshark?  All of these are regular windows programs, not ones
that depend on cygwin (though you should be able to use them from
cygwin).

--Poke

* Re: network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-13 17:40   ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pokechu22, cygwin

Pokechu22, on Thursday, June 13, 2019 01:27 PM, wrote...
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 10:02 AM Jose Isaias Cabrera wrote:
> >

> Hello josé,
>
> To my (limited) knowledge, it simply isn't available, presumably
> because of elevation requirements on windows or something like that.
> I think what you want is winpcap (or npcap?) along with windump... or
> maybe wireshark?  All of these are regular windows programs, not ones
> that depend on cygwin (though you should be able to use them from
> cygwin).

Yeah, I know about those.  The place where I am trying to use it is work, and they have banned these utilities from downloading, etc.  But I thought that I could use cygwin, internally and capture the data I need.  Back to the drawing board. ;-)

Thanks Poke.

josé

* Re: network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-18 15:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-06-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Isaias Cabrera, cygwin

Greetings, Jose Isaias Cabrera!

Just download Wireshark from https://www.wireshark.org/

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-18 16:54   ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-18 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin, on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:30 AM, wrote...

> Just download Wireshark from https://www.wireshark.org/

That's the problem.  That is not allowed. :-(  I need to have the CEO sign for me to get that software here.  I have wireshark at home, but at work, it's not allowed.  They are very picky about installing software in the system. That is the reason why I was looking for the old tcpdump.  Thanks.

josé

* Re: network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-18 18:20     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-06-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Isaias Cabrera, cygwin

Greetings, Jose Isaias Cabrera!

> Andrey Repin, on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:30 AM, wrote...

>> Just download Wireshark from https://www.wireshark.org/

> That's the problem.  That is not allowed. :-(  I need to have the CEO sign
> for me to get that software here.  I have wireshark at home, but at work,
> it's not allowed.  They are very picky about installing software in the
> system. That is the reason why I was looking for the old tcpdump.  Thanks.

If that software is required for your work, they have no other way than to let
you use it.
If they actively deny you the working environment, find a better job.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2019-06-18 18:27       ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-18 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin, on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 02:09 PM, wrote...
> If that software is required for your work, they have no other way than to let
> you use it.
> If they actively deny you the working environment, find a better job.

That's the easy way out. ;-)  Thanks.

josé

* Re: network trace capturing tool in cygwin
@ 2019-06-19 18:19         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-19 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-18 12:27, Jose Isaias Cabrera wrote:
> Andrey Repin, on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 02:09 PM, wrote...
>> If that software is required for your work, they have no other way than to
>> let you use it.
>> If they actively deny you the working environment, find a better job.
> That's the easy way out. ;-)  Thanks.

Seriously, if an org won't let you have the tools to diagnose or fix a problem,
then as you can not help with the problem, it's not your problem, it's for
someone else to deal with.
You can not do everything, and if they can pay people to enforce blocks to
prevent work, they can pay to diagnose problems for which you have neither tools
nor experience.
The solution may have to be political, to buy a commercial tool e.g
	https://www.paessler.com/network-analyzer-diagnostics
or hire consultants to provide and use said tools.