* faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
@ 2016-03-18 14:43 Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2016-03-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I frequently ping-pong back and forth between working in the Windows
and Cygwin environments, needing to keep both Explorer windows and
Cygwin PWD focused on the same folder/directory. (I use mintty in
Cygwin.)

To open an Explorer window to my Cygwin PWD, I can simply type "cygstart .".
The reverse is a clumsy bit of typing and mousing: From Cygwin/bash, enter
"cd " (but not Return), go to my Explorer window and drag the folder
icon from the address bar into the mintty window and press return.
I'm looking for a simpler method.

My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.

Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current
on Cygwin 64-bit.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
@ 2016-03-18 14:53 ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2016-03-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nellis, Kenneth <Kenneth.Nellis <at> xerox.com> writes:

> My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
> new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
> mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.
>
> Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
> I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current
> on Cygwin 64-bit.
>
> --Ken Nellis

Git for Windows has (used to have?) a "git bash here" explorer integration
that I bet you could borrow and adapt into a "cygwin terminal here."

-Tony

* Re: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
@ 2016-03-18 15:01 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-03-18 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/03/2016 15:43, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I frequently ping-pong back and forth between working in the Windows
> and Cygwin environments, needing to keep both Explorer windows and
> Cygwin PWD focused on the same folder/directory. (I use mintty in
> Cygwin.)
>
> To open an Explorer window to my Cygwin PWD, I can simply type "cygstart .".
> The reverse is a clumsy bit of typing and mousing: From Cygwin/bash, enter
> "cd " (but not Return), go to my Explorer window and drag the folder
> icon from the address bar into the mintty window and press return.
> I'm looking for a simpler method.
>
> My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
> new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
> mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.
>
> Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
> I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current
> on Cygwin 64-bit.
>
> --Ken Nellis

looks on chere package
  "Cygwin Prompt Here context menus"

* Re: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
@ 2016-03-18 17:48   ` Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2016-03-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/18/2016 7:52 AM, Tony Kelman wrote:
> Nellis, Kenneth <Kenneth.Nellis <at> xerox.com> writes:
>
>> My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
>> new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
>> mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.
>>
>> Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
>> I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current
>> on Cygwin 64-bit.
>>
>> --Ken Nellis
>
> Git for Windows has (used to have?) a "git bash here" explorer integration
> that I bet you could borrow and adapt into a "cygwin terminal here."

Cygwin already has this, in package "chere".  Not sure if it's available
for 64-bit yet.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg@acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

* Re: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
@ 2016-03-18 18:17     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-03-18 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 18, 2016, at 11:48 AM, Jim Garrison <jhg@jhmg.net> wrote:

> On 3/18/2016 7:52 AM, Tony Kelman wrote:
>> Nellis, Kenneth <Kenneth.Nellis <at> xerox.com> writes:
>>
>>> My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
>>> new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
>>> mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.
>>>
>>> Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
>>> I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current
>>> on Cygwin 64-bit.
>>>
>>> --Ken Nellis
>>
>> Git for Windows has (used to have?) a "git bash here" explorer integration
>> that I bet you could borrow and adapt into a "cygwin terminal here."
>
> Cygwin already has this, in package "chere".  Not sure if it's available
> for 64-bit yet.

There are [very few][1] Cygwin 32 packages that haven’t yet been ported to Cygwin 64 yet.  Pretty much all that remain are those that are abandoned and not yet re-adopted.

Chere is running here just fine on 64-bit Windows 10.

[1]: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-64bit-missing

* RE: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
@ 2016-03-18 18:50       ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2016-03-18 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mar 18, 2016, at 11:48 AM, Jim Garrison <jhg@jhmg.net> wrote:
> >
> > Cygwin already has this, in package "chere".  Not sure if it's available
> > for 64-bit yet.

Hey, thanx Jim et al. Just what the doctor ordered!

BTW, wanting to see some documentation on this package before I
install, I chanced to run across this site to see man pages of
Cygwin packages. This ticks off another item from my wish list.

http://www.polarhome.com/service/man/?of=Cygwin

for example, for chere:

http://www.polarhome.com/service/man/?qf=chere&tf=2&of=Cygwin&sf=1

@ 2016-03-20 19:27   ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2016-03-20 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Marco Atzeri sent the following at Friday, March 18, 2016 11:01 AM
>On 18/03/2016 15:43, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> I frequently ping-pong back and forth between working in the Windows
>> and Cygwin environments, needing to keep both Explorer windows and
>> Cygwin PWD focused on the same folder/directory. (I use mintty in
>> Cygwin.)
>>
>> To open an Explorer window to my Cygwin PWD, I can simply type "cygstart .".
>> The reverse is a clumsy bit of typing and mousing: From Cygwin/bash,
>> enter "cd " (but not Return), go to my Explorer window and drag the
>> folder icon from the address bar into the mintty window and press return.
>> I'm looking for a simpler method.
>>
>> My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
>> new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
>> mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.
>>
>> Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
>> I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current on
>> Cygwin 64-bit.
>
> "Cygwin Prompt Here context menus"
>    looks on chere package

For a while recently - and for unknown reasons - the chere menu entries
were not working for me.  I ended up creating a shortcut in my SendTo
folder/menu that would open a bash window in the directory containing
the highlighted file or folder.  Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Target:
    C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/bash.exe "%L"
Start in:  [leave blank]

I don't remember whether there might be any customizations in .bashrc
that helped this to work, so YMMV.

BTW, chere is back working for me now.  Don't remember what - if
anything noticeable - changed.

- Barry