* Re: bash hangs on WinNT Service Pack 5
@ 2000-01-21  5:20 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 2000-01-21  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pgoyal, cygwin

In a message dated 1/20/2000 9:07:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, pgoyal@isi.com
writes:

> bash: fork : No more processes
Surely this is in the FAQ's by now.  If you have a version of cygwin more
than a year old, that would produce this effect.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

* Re: bash hangs on WinNT Service Pack 5
@ 2000-01-21 15:20 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 2000-01-21 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pgoyal, earnie_boyd, cygwin, lance

>How do anti-virus programs like Cygwin?
> One person reported that McAfee VirusScan for NT (and >others?) is
> incompatible with Cygwin.

I have run cygwin extensively along with McAfee and Norton antivirus programs, and have not seen an outright failure associated with them.  As McAfee is set up on my system, it simply does a static scan of files on boot and periodically, and so of course the performance of cygwin is unacceptable while that is happening.  Norton, in addition, intervenes each time a .exe is started, so it becomes necessary to disable it while running cygwin in order to get satisfactory performance.  A full static file scan on a drive full of cygwin files may take 1 hr per GB with the new 90 day free license version of Norton; possibly the new features take longer than the old one.

* Re: bash hangs on WinNT Service Pack 5
@ 2000-01-21 14:16 ` Prabhakar Goyal
From: Prabhakar Goyal @ 2000-01-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, N8TM, cygwin, Lance Zaklan

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the most recent snapshot fo
cygwin1.dll and running my tests.

I had downloaded the Cygwin few days ago. It should not be that old then.
I refered to the  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq/ . The only QA
seems relevent to the problem:

How do anti-virus programs like Cygwin?
One person reported that McAfee VirusScan for NT (and others?) is
incompatible with Cygwin. This is because it tries to scan the newly loaded
shared memory in the cygwin.dll, which can cause fork()s to fail, wreaking
havoc on many of the tools.

I was able to reproduce the problem without McAfee VirusScan.

I also saw the error message mentioned by Lance.

[main] c:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\bash.exe 1000 (0)
lock_pinfo_for_update: rc 258, error 6

regards,
Prabhakar

@ 2000-01-21  6:16 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-01-21  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM, pgoyal, cygwin

@ 2000-01-20 21:22 Lance Zaklan
From: Lance Zaklan @ 2000-01-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm seeing the same problem on Windows NT service pack 4 same versions
of cygwin and bash.  The build system is a modified gmake which
uses a translater to convert .dsp and .dsw to gnu make files.  The
build is control by a perl script.  The behavior I observe is a sub-task
of the make process (often echo) goes into a loop burning cpu.  Killing
the looping echo program, results in all other bash shells getting
the no more processes error.  Interestingly, simple commands running
in a bash shell will hang.  When I attempted to ^C a stuck ls command
i got:
[main] c:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\bash.exe 1000 (0)
lock_pinfo_for_update: rc 258, error 6

thanks
slz
lance Zaklan

@ 2000-01-20 21:05 Prabhakar Goyal
From: Prabhakar Goyal @ 2000-01-20 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am running a build process using gmake on WinNT SP5. Sometimes bash hangs
sucking up all the CPU time. Time to reproduce the problem varies from 5
minutes to one and half days.  Once this happens any command on other bash
windows fail with "bash: fork : No more processes" error. It is possible to