* [Question] When the cygwin support Python version 3.11.5 or newer?
@ 2024-04-18 12:28 Zhike Wang (EXT)
From: Zhike Wang (EXT) @ 2024-04-18 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dears

At  the moment, I use python 3.9.16 under Cygwin environment while my company IT alert me there is a severity risk for python 3.9.16 which need be upgraded to Python version 3.11.5 or newer asap.
I have tried to use Cygwin setup(setup-x86_64) to update the python version but it looks Cygwin only support python up to version 3.9.18 at the moment.
So I would like to check with experts when the Cygwin can support Python 3.11.5 or newer version?
Thank you very much.

BRs//Zhike

* RE: [Question] When the cygwin support Python version 3.11.5 or newer?
@ 2024-04-22  0:25 ` Zhike Wang (EXT)
From: Zhike Wang (EXT) @ 2024-04-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

Any update/advice for this topic? Or should I raise a ticket to other Cygwin Mailing Lists?
Thanks

BRs//Zhike

@ 2024-04-23 14:30   ` J M
From: J M @ 2024-04-23 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhike Wang (EXT); +Cc: cygwin

El lun., 22 abr. 2024 2:26, Zhike Wang (EXT) via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
escribió:

> Hi
>
> Any update/advice for this topic? Or should I raise a ticket to other
> Cygwin Mailing Lists?
> Thanks
>
> BRs//Zhike

Hi Zhike,

The Cygwin must be support these versions:

https://www.python.org/downloads/source/

Except unsupported < 3.8.x

Reference: https://devguide.python.org/versions/

Then, max of 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12.

Regards

* Re: [Question] When the cygwin support Python version 3.11.5 or newer?
@ 2024-04-23 18:51   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-04-23 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2024-04-21 18:25, Zhike Wang via Cygwin wrote:
> Any update/advice for this topic? Or should I raise a ticket to other Cygwin Mailing Lists?

There are no tickets and no other lists - this is the list for Cygwin issues.

> On April 18, 2024 20:29, Zhike Wang wrote:
>> At  the moment, I use python 3.9.16 under Cygwin environment while my
>> company IT alert me there is a severity risk for python 3.9.16 which need
>> be upgraded to Python version 3.11.5 or newer asap.
>> I have tried to use Cygwin setup(setup-x86_64) to update the python version
>> but it looks Cygwin only support python up to version 3.9.18 at the
>> moment.
>> So I would like to check with experts when the Cygwin can support Python
>> 3.11.5 or newer version?
>> Thank you very much.

It appears that this is not how python is maintained, as all python modules and
packages have to be rebuilt for each major version, so fixes are applied to each
supported major version e.g 3.9!

The web page below is more useful as it shows the current latest python release
with all known core vulnerabilities fixed for each major version:

	https://maikuolan.github.io/Vulnerability-Charts/python.html

for a few other packages see:

	https://maikuolan.github.io/Vulnerability-Charts/
	https://github.com/Maikuolan/Vulnerability-Charts

so 3.{8,9}.19+ should fix all currently known security issues with 3.{8,9};
other releases are required for newer versions.

And 3.11.5 has issues, 3.11.9 is fixed: let your co IT know this!

Please note also that some vulnerabilities are specific to only certain
platforms and capabilities e.g. Linux:

	https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2022-42919
	https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-42919

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry