* No gawk-doc package, gawk source autoconf fails
@ 2016-11-10  0:02 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-11-10  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Looked for gawk doc in /usr/share/doc/gawk*/ - no HTML, PDF etc.
Checked for gawk doc as a package - no gawk-doc or anything like it.
Downloaded gawk package source and tried to configure enough to build doc.
Seems to be problem with autoconf autopoint gettext package version
- something run by autoreconf seems to be detecting gettext 0.19.8-1 as
0.19.8.1 instead of 0.19.8 which causes autopoint to fail:

>>> Preparing gawk-4.1.4-1.x86_64
>>> Unpacking source gawk-4.1.4.tar.xz
>>> Preparing working source directory
>>> Compiling gawk-4.1.4-1.x86_64
autoreconf-2.69: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf-2.69: running: /usr/bin/autopoint -V 0.19.8.1 --force
autopoint: warning: Version mismatch: specified -V 0.19.8.1 but the package uses gettext version 0.19.7. Forcibly upgrading to 0.19.8.1
autopoint: *** The AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declaration in your configure.ac
                file requires the infrastructure from gettext-0.19.8.1 but this version
                is older. Please upgrade to gettext-0.19.8.1 or newer.
autopoint: *** Stop.
autoreconf-2.69: /usr/bin/autopoint failed with exit status: 1
*** ERROR: autoreconf failed

Manual configure && make pdf works okay.

* Re: No gawk-doc package, gawk source autoconf fails
@ 2016-11-10  0:29 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-11-10  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016-11-09 18:02, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Looked for gawk doc in /usr/share/doc/gawk*/ - no HTML, PDF etc.
> Checked for gawk doc as a package - no gawk-doc or anything like it.
> Downloaded gawk package source and tried to configure enough to build doc.
> Seems to be problem with autoconf autopoint gettext package version
> - something run by autoreconf seems to be detecting gettext 0.19.8-1 as
> 0.19.8.1 instead of 0.19.8 which causes autopoint to fail:

This is already fixed in cygport git master.

--
Yaakov

* Re: No gawk-doc package, gawk source autoconf fails
@ 2016-11-10  9:24   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-11-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey Yaakov,

On Nov  9 18:29, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2016-11-09 18:02, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > Looked for gawk doc in /usr/share/doc/gawk*/ - no HTML, PDF etc.
> > Checked for gawk doc as a package - no gawk-doc or anything like it.
> > Downloaded gawk package source and tried to configure enough to build doc.
> > Seems to be problem with autoconf autopoint gettext package version
> > - something run by autoreconf seems to be detecting gettext 0.19.8-1 as
> > 0.19.8.1 instead of 0.19.8 which causes autopoint to fail:
>
> This is already fixed in cygport git master.

Do I have to create a fixed gawk package at one point?  Perhaps after
the next cygport release?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No gawk-doc package, gawk source autoconf fails
@ 2016-11-10 21:29     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-11-10 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016-11-10 02:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  9 18:29, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> On 2016-11-09 18:02, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Looked for gawk doc in /usr/share/doc/gawk*/ - no HTML, PDF etc.
>>> Checked for gawk doc as a package - no gawk-doc or anything like
>>> it.
>>> Downloaded gawk package source and tried to configure enough to
>>> build doc.
>>> Seems to be problem with autoconf autopoint gettext package
>>> version - something run by autoreconf seems to be detecting
>>> gettext 0.19.8-1 as 0.19.8.1 instead of 0.19.8 which causes
>>> autopoint to fail:

>> This is already fixed in cygport git master.

Thanks for that - fixing a gettext nano-release with an extra .#
autopoint dislikes.

> Do I have to create a fixed gawk package at one point?  Perhaps
> after the next cygport release?

It would be a kindness if the maintainer built the docs and
provided a gawk-doc package like other distros with the next
gawk release.
It would be nice if it included the examples, manuals, and
cards in man, info, html, ps, and pdf formats, unlike most
distros.
Can never have too many doc formats, depending on what you're
doing, what you're looking for, and what you have available.
Regular man and info are good for grepping, html single page
is good for phones and ereaders, multi page and PDF are better
on tablets and desktops.