@ 2022-04-02  6:28 James
From: James @ 2022-04-02  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there,

I just got that error message, asking me to report it here.

      1 [main] bash 17336 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD
pointer.  Please report this problem to the public mailing list
cygwin@cygwin.com

Not sure if it's interesting?

Kind regards,
James

@ 2022-04-02  6:31 ` cygwinautoreply
From: cygwinautoreply @ 2022-04-02  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james.kuypers; +Cc: cygwin

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings

@ 2022-04-02  6:31 ` James
From: James @ 2022-04-02  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Never mind I'd say. I got the error when launching
C:\Appz\Cygwin\Cygwin.bat

Which is just
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\Appz\Cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

If however I run
C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe

It works fine.

@ 2022-04-02  6:32   ` James
From: James @ 2022-04-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwinautoreply; +Cc: cygwin

Voila, thanks!

Have a nice weekend ya'all

@ 2022-04-02  7:37     ` Backwoods BC
From: Backwoods BC @ 2022-04-02  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings

I've only been on this list a few months, but I've seen these
"find_fast_cwd" questions about twice a month so far.

Might I suggest that replacing the
"Please report this problem to the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com"
message in 'bash' with something like:
"Please visit https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
for help with this issue"

This removes the need for an autoresponder and is more helpful at the
same time. Users might be reluctant to join the mailing list just to
to track down the problem.

@ 2022-04-02 10:38       ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-04-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Backwoods BC, cygwin

On 4/2/2022 3:37 AM, Backwoods BC wrote:
>> https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
>
> I've only been on this list a few months, but I've seen these
> "find_fast_cwd" questions about twice a month so far.
>
> Might I suggest that replacing the
> "Please report this problem to the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com"
> message in 'bash' with something like:
> "Please visit https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
> for help with this issue"
>
> This removes the need for an autoresponder and is more helpful at the
> same time. Users might be reluctant to join the mailing list just to
> to track down the problem.

The message is baked into ancient versions of Cygwin.
I believe the page the auto-responder points them to
indicates the fact that their version is old and should
be updated.  This often happens because someone bundled
Cygwin with something else and is not updating the
Cygwin version.

Modern versions no longer generate the message.

In sum, the auto-responder is the best thing we can do
about it.  At least we don't have to have a human respond.

Best wishes - Eliot Moss

@ 2022-04-02 14:40       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-04-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2022-04-02 01:37, Backwoods BC wrote:
>> https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
>
> I've only been on this list a few months, but I've seen these
> "find_fast_cwd" questions about twice a month so far.
>
> Might I suggest that replacing the
> "Please report this problem to the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com"
> message in 'bash' with something like:
> "Please visit https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
> for help with this issue"

This has been done in recent releases for some years, but ancient legacy
releases without changes are still distributed by/with some products or
projects, with no effort to upgrade what they distribute, mention of how
to upgrade, responsibility for or to their users.
Please read the linked FAQ entry for that explanation.
Ancient legacy repos such as SourceForge and GoogleCode are fertile
sources of such projects as are products from (some not so) defunct
embedded systems tool developers.

> This removes the need for an autoresponder and is more helpful at the
> same time. Users might be reluctant to join the mailing list just to
> to track down the problem.

That was why the autoresponder was added - reply directly to those folks
and point them to a greatly expanded FAQ entry with relevant links
explaining the problem and solution, and suggesting other actions.
I don't remember anyone clicking the email link at the end to let us
know what a product or project was or where it came from, so someone on
the list could follow up.
And folks wonder why there are software supply chain security issues!

@ 2022-04-04  7:29   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2022-04-04  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James, cygwin

Greetings, James!

> Never mind I'd say. I got the error when launching
> C:\Appz\Cygwin\Cygwin.bat

> Which is just
> @echo off

> C:
> chdir C:\Appz\Cygwin\bin

> bash --login -i

> If however I run
> C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe

> It works fine.

This means you have two different Cygwin versions installed.
If you never use the other one, I strongly suggest removing it, as an unused
and unmaintained program is often a good target for various troublemakers.
And that other version of Cygwin you have IS unmaintained, judging by the
error you receive from it (which was fixed over a decade ago).

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...